Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
Thank you for that, must be blind because I could not find quantities for the video cables anywhere.

In regards to buying more, I did find this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000723029918.html
A2-A4T looks like it could be a candidate. For the cost seems worth a try. They offer DP versions as well.
Great find! Too bad it’s not HDMI 2.1 though, that’s what I’m looking for for the 3080

Pyotr

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
Great find! Too bad it’s not HDMI 2.1 though, that’s what I’m looking for for the 3080
True, but if they are just straight through wire with no IC's, I am curious at how it would not be rated for whatever the origin source is. Perhaps shielding on the wiring, twisted pairs?

Before I order anything - Can someone confirm the spacing on the screw holes? Aliexpress shows as 27mm center to center

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
True, but if they are just straight through wire with no IC's, I am curious at how it would not be rated for whatever the origin source is. Perhaps shielding on the wiring, twisted pairs?

Before I order anything - Can someone confirm the spacing on the screw holes? Aliexpress shows as 27mm center to center

In order to use the third DisplayPort, your graphics card needs to have all 3 DisplayPorts in the same slot (outlined in green here) and you would need the 30 cm P2-P4T cable. 27 mm is the correct spacing. If the third DisplayPort is in the second slot (outlined in red here), there will not be enough space for the cable. However, if you do this, it will be very challenging or impossible to route the HDMI cable.

casni

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 27, 2020
My first SFF build ever with my shiny new Velka 3 2.0. After a couple hours of unscrewing, screwing, cramming, and smooshing, I'm in love. It's so hot. In both ways :p

At full load, depending on which way it's oriented, CPU hits 85-95 C, GPU 68-76 C. I'm using a Noctua NH-L9A, Ryzen 3800x, Gigabyte Aorus x570i, and Gigabyte 2070 mini itx. I've tried reducing voltage for the CPU but all it seems to do is lower the clock speeds and the temps stay about the same. I can point a little fan at it and it'll trend toward 85. Is this about the kind of temp I should expect out of this or should I be looking into reapplying thermal goop, expanding that side of the case, or trying a different heatsink/fan?

You are matching a 105 TDP CPU with a 65 TDP CPU cooler - so yes - this is about the temp you should expect from a setup like this.
If you replaced the 3800X with a 3700X you would be matching a 65 TDP CPU with a 65 TDP CPU cooler, and temps would improve :)

Pyotr

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
In order to use the third DisplayPort, your graphics card needs to have all 3 DisplayPorts in the same slot (outlined in green here) and you would need the 30 cm P2-P4T cable. 27 mm is the correct spacing. If the third DisplayPort is in the second slot (outlined in red here), there will not be enough space for the cable. However, if you do this, it will be very challenging or impossible to route the HDMI cable.

Most excellent my dude, thank you for the confirmation and length verification! Have to see what big navi brings at the end of the month for GPU designs.

Reactions: cennis

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
Regarding thermals in the Velka 7:

Does anyone know what thermals under load (CPU, GPU, or both) look like with a 120mm or 140mm case fan mounted on the exterior above the case would do?

I currently have the Velka 3 v1.2 and though I had to baffle the side vents above the CPU/GPU heatsinks, the top mounted case fans did have a beneficial effect on overall thermals.

If anybody has a Velka 7 with an extra fan they could throw on top there and give me a rough idea, I'd appreciate it.

Since we're on that topic: @VELKASE Michael if this shows beneficial thermals would you consider this in a future version or revision?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Regarding thermals in the Velka 7:

Does anyone know what thermals under load (CPU, GPU, or both) look like with a 120mm or 140mm case fan mounted on the exterior above the case would do?

I currently have the Velka 3 v1.2 and though I had to baffle the side vents above the CPU/GPU heatsinks, the top mounted case fans did have a beneficial effect on overall thermals.

If anybody has a Velka 7 with an extra fan they could throw on top there and give me a rough idea, I'd appreciate it.

Since we're on that topic: @VELKASE Michael if this shows beneficial thermals would you consider this in a future version or revision?

The size of the Velka 7 will definitely not be increased to add dedicated fan space. For a case of this size, any increase in volume would be better used by increased CPU and GPU cooler clearances, so only case fans around 40-90 mm in diameter might be supported in the space that already exists.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
@VELKASE Michael
Velka 7 2.0 is bigger than Velka 5 1.1
The Velka 7 supports a 286 * 135 * 43mm GPU while the Velka 5 supports a 296 * 142 * 43mm G
Velka 5 supports SFX-L while Velka 7 does not

And yes, the Velka 7 has a better build quality, but why discontinue the Velka 5 1.1?
In my opinion, the Velka 7 should just be the original Velka 5 1.1 but with the better build quality and more support for storage (Velka 5 1.1 rebranded?)

My point is, take the Velka 5 1.1 design, and just improve the build quality, aesthetics, and build quality to get the Velka 7.
To solve the IO problem, can't you just add a horizontal option? (Like the Dan A4)

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
@VELKASE Michael
Velka 7 2.0 is bigger than Velka 5 1.1
The Velka 7 supports a 286 * 135 * 43mm GPU while the Velka 5 supports a 296 * 142 * 43mm G
Velka 5 supports SFX-L while Velka 7 does not

And yes, the Velka 7 has a better build quality, but why discontinue the Velka 5 1.1?
In my opinion, the Velka 7 should just be the original Velka 5 1.1 but with the better build quality and more support for storage (Velka 5 1.1 rebranded?)

My point is, take the Velka 5 1.1 design, and just improve the build quality, aesthetics, and build quality to get the Velka 7.
To solve the IO problem, can't you just add a horizontal option? (Like the Dan A4)

Because of the space the AC power cord would take up, a horizontal version of the case would have to be closer to 6.5 L and have a smaller graphics card height clearance. 2.5" drive support when using a long graphics card would also have to be dropped entirely, which I think would be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Reactions: Skarum

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Because of the space the AC power cord would take up, a horizontal version of the case would have to be closer to 6.5 L and have a smaller graphics card height clearance. 2.5" drive support when using a long graphics card would also have to be dropped entirely, which I think would be a deal breaker for a lot of people.
Ah ok

velka5simp

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2020
Is there any news on the pre-order batch of the Velka 7? It said "middle of October", is there any news on when exactly that will be?

Z3nski

Case Bender
New User
Oct 16, 2020
Is there any news on the pre-order batch of the Velka 7? It said "middle of October", is there any news on when exactly that will be?

Noob here but on their website they say pre order now and then more ordering in Mid-October. Does that mean if I pre-order now, they will ship out a Velka 7 to me around Mid-October?

Pyotr

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
Noob here but on their website they say pre order now and then more ordering in Mid-October. Does that mean if I pre-order now, they will ship out a Velka 7 to me around Mid-October?

For what its worth, I ordered one end of September, and still no update on shipping, so you may still be able to get in on that round of pre-order. Per an early September post, looks like ship dates are a little in flux with everything going on. Edit: Just got my shipping notification today

I can accept a pre-order starting probably less than a week from now if you want guaranteed availability and are patient. My guess would be December for final shipping based on the time the previous batch took. In this kind of environment, I can only share my guess as opposed to even giving an estimate.

Last edited:

karu

Efficiency Noob
Oct 5, 2020
If anyone is curious, I pre-ordered mine October 5 and I just got a shipping notification today for the Velka 7. Pretty excited for it!