Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Silejonu

What's an ITX?
New User
May 21, 2020
Will straight SATA cables fit in the Velka 7 if 4 2.5" HDDs are mounted? Or will we need angled cables?
Also, out of curiosity, will mounting a 3.5" drive still be possible if there is no graphics card?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Ah okay, that explains it - I never recevied the GPU bracket in my package for the case - only the internal piece which I'd been trying to work out how to use since I received it and gave up... Do you have any spare you could send to me?

Sorry, there are none left at the moment. I can 3d print them but my printer needs repair and shipping from the US would take an unknown amount of time. Let me check to see whether some 3d printing service provider can manufacture it locally and send it to you.

Are you currently shipping VK-5's? If yes, what would the lead time to Canada be?

If you mean the 1.1 revision then no, those are sold out, sorry. Revision 2.0 will likely start shipping to Canada in July.

Hmm, why so much though? I've seen some 3cm height right angle connectors available, and i presume even shorter ones exists... I wasn't talking about plugging straight regular display cables, sorry if i wasn't clear enough...

And about the 30cm cable riser, was this length a determining factor for the space available between the gpu back (with the ports) and the top of the case (11 mm, iirc). What i mean is, could the same 30cm cable allow for a bigger gap than currently (those 11mm), without increasing the exterior dimensions of the case? Of course, this would limit even more the total length of the GPU's pcb that would fit, but that's not my point.

If there are 3 cm tall right angle cables then the top cover could be shorter in height. Is your idea to keep the main IO at the rear and have graphics IO at the top with a cover? A 30 cm riser doesn't allow for much more than that 11 mm space on top, so the riser length would have to be increased to 35 cm to lower the graphics card.

Will straight SATA cables fit in the Velka 7 if 4 2.5" HDDs are mounted? Or will we need angled cables?
Also, out of curiosity, will mounting a 3.5" drive still be possible if there is no graphics card?

Straight SATA cables will actually work better than angled ones.

There is no official support for 3.5" drives, but it's possible to mount one with an ITX length card around 175 mm if you use your own countersunk 6-32 screws for HDD's.

Reactions: Silejonu and Skarum

DG25

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 20, 2016
If there are 3 cm tall right angle cables then the top cover could be shorter in height. Is your idea to keep the main IO at the rear and have graphics IO at the top with a cover? A 30 cm riser doesn't allow for much more than that 11 mm space on top, so the riser length would have to be increased to 35 cm to lower the graphics card.
I'm sorry, i've looked at the wrong right angle connectors. Those shorter (3cm tall or less) are "down angled 90 degree", i think you were referring to the "right angled 90 degree", which are indeed 5+ cm tall, as you were saying. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, i like the current IO design, don't want it changing, it's just the display extensions that bug me. Don't they take out space at the back, in the detriment of the space available for the GPU (its height, to be more specific)? Don't they push a bit further the pcie slot's placement, limiting GPU's height? If yes, then if you relocate them and move the pcie slot a bit more to the back of the case, wouldn't this gave you a bit of spare cable length, enough to move the GPU a bit further down, to allow for bigger right angled connectors, without increasing the height of the case by much? Ofc, this would mean the top should be a removable panel, a cover of sort.

Btw, are you currently using something like these for the extensions? If yes, couldn't the external ports be relocated to the top back panel, in that ~11mm space (placed horizontally)?

Cutterpaul

Cable Smoosher
May 23, 2020
Hey there!
I was wondering for some time now, if the old Velka 5 - or any of the new ones for that matter - supports the Sapphire Pulse 5700XT card with its official measurements of 254 x 135 x 46,5 mm. I've seen differing oppinions on reddit, so I would appreciate any help, since I am a bit confused.

Those new cases look real stylish by the way.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I'm sorry, i've looked at the wrong right angle connectors. Those shorter (3cm tall or less) are "down angled 90 degree", i think you were referring to the "right angled 90 degree", which are indeed 5+ cm tall, as you were saying. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, i like the current IO design, don't want it changing, it's just the display extensions that bug me. Don't they take out space at the back, in the detriment of the space available for the GPU (its height, to be more specific)? Don't they push a bit further the pcie slot's placement, limiting GPU's height? If yes, then if you relocate them and move the pcie slot a bit more to the back of the case, wouldn't this gave you a bit of spare cable length, enough to move the GPU a bit further down, to allow for bigger right angled connectors, without increasing the height of the case by much? Ofc, this would mean the top should be a removable panel, a cover of sort.

Btw, are you currently using something like these for the extensions? If yes, couldn't the external ports be relocated to the top back panel, in that ~11mm space (placed horizontally)?

They only impact the maximum card length rather than the height. The maximum allowable height is a little bit lower than before because of this piece which completes the frame:

Placing them closer to the top and making the cables shorter would have been preferred, but each one takes up approximately 1 x 4 cm of space on the rear panel, so they only fit along the side of the case.

will you offer a pcie 4.0 riser in the future as a separate sale?

If there will be one compatible with these cases, then yes.

Hey there!
I was wondering for some time now, if the old Velka 5 - or any of the new ones for that matter - supports the Sapphire Pulse 5700XT card with its official measurements of 254 x 135 x 46,5 mm. I've seen differing oppinions on reddit, so I would appreciate any help, since I am a bit confused.

It will definitely not fit into the old Velka 5 because it can only accept cards up to 43 mm wide. You would need a card that does not have any protrusions at all past the PCI bracket, but you can see from this angle that it does protrude.
There is an experimental feature in the new Velka 5 and 7 that allows side panels to be mounted up to 4 mm away from the rest of the case, so it might fit into one of those, but it would be better to assume that it will not fit. It will be explained in the user manuals soon.

KevinSiebert

Chassis Packer
Mar 25, 2020
Yeah. I had one in my cart, ready to click the buy button, and then it said no longer available.
There might be a stock of the textured white with the riser that will become available. That option was left unavailable and I assume stock was split between those 4 options

Just_Desserts

Efficiency Noob
May 25, 2020
I was too slow :(
Yeah if I see ANY white velka 3 go on eBay cause of people with bots, I will be sure to win the bid or buy it now or whatever. But I guarantee that I will be leaving a one star review all across the board regardless. So if one of you is going to do it make a new ebat account and sell it because I'm coming for you

Reactions: KevinSiebert

KevinSiebert

Chassis Packer
Mar 25, 2020
Yeah if I see ANY white velka 3 go on eBay cause of people with bots, I will be sure to win the bid or buy it now or whatever. But I guarantee that I will be leaving a one star review all across the board regardless. So if one of you is going to do it make a new ebat account and sell it because I'm coming for you
I'm sure half of the people who bought were going to flip it

Reactions: Just_Desserts

KevinSiebert

Chassis Packer
Mar 25, 2020
I had three people help me try to get one. I was the quickest of us but was only able to get it into my cart
I have one in my cart, but they're already out of stock. I hesitated when I saw the selection with riser was unavailable. I hope that's fixed soon and there is more stock

revo175

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2020
I just hope we get actual July availability dates, and if we can pay in advance to "secure" a spot could be even better, for the Company and us.

Not sure how possible can this idea be.