Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Pre-orders were available most of December, I was indecisive and lingering on the site before finally placing my pre-order late December and not sure if I got lucky but it shipped around a week later. I was ready to wait a few weeks. Does seem like demand >> supply though, it's unlikely that Michael isn't trying to find ways to increase production.
I was fish-slopping on whether I wanted to do a new system so I think I was too late to the party and missed it narrowly. I think the OEM he uses is flat out with other orders so he's limited in the output of Velka cases currently.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Ideally, a Velka 3 XL would be a Velka 3 case, except that it supports the 80mm x 25mm Noctua Cooling Fans.
Why? Do you find the 80x10 to be insufficient in exhausting hot air? Have you tried an experiment where you attach 80x25 externally to the top of the case? Just curious. It does seem like it would be beneficial for a minor increase in size, but that's a slippery slope.

Reactions: pwnedundies

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Ideally, a Velka 3 XL would be a Velka 3 case, except that it supports the 80mm x 25mm Noctua Cooling Fans.
I don't see the value in having a separate product with 15mm of additional vertical height. Noise level may be lower - but this is a 4 litre case with high end component compatibility, it was never intended to be a truly quiet PC.

Reactions: Skarum

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
Yeah, that's ultimately what made me cancel my order. Would rather have an insignificant size increase for a significant noise advantage. I understand this case is about "size above all else" and it just wasn't the right spot for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: khanate

Roen

Trash Compacter
Feb 20, 2018
Why? Do you find the 80x10 to be insufficient in exhausting hot air? Have you tried an experiment where you attach 80x25 externally to the top of the case? Just curious. It does seem like it would be beneficial for a minor increase in size, but that's a slippery slope.
Noise levels as well, right?

I did email Noctua and they are releasing a 80 mm x 10 mm fan..................in 2 years.

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
Noise levels as well, right?

I did email Noctua and they are releasing a 80 mm x 10 mm fan..................in 2 years.
I mounted the included fans using Noctua NA-SAV4 anti vibration mounts, and tuned the speed so they're not always at 100%. They're not making any more noise than the GPU fan.

I also like the look of the brown nubs on the mounts on my sandblast case better than the included screws that didn't sit flush anyway.

Reactions: sjug

TiF974

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 17, 2019
Hindsight is 20/20. Ordered the Trident Z Neo DDR4 32 GB kit. If anyone is interested here is the link.
https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232861?Item=N82E16820232861
Just realized that the Ram sticks with RGB and heat sinks are 47mm tall and wont fit in the Velka 3. Got the memory on sale price so don't want to return it. Maybe ill just dremel the heat sink or replace them all together. First time building a SFF so didn't think it through. ***Face Palm***

I have exactly the same one and its fit prefctly in my velka 3

fury

Cable Smoosher
Jan 10, 2020
Only recently found out about this case. Missed both of the last couple of order opportunities, though, I guess. Anxiously awaiting the next chance I can preorder :)

Got a 2070 mini ITX sitting here with a giant hole in its heart where the Velka 3 might someday be

Reactions: Twiddle

ggabriele3

Cable Smoosher
Dec 28, 2019
Someone asked to see how I did a little auxiliary fan setup.

I ran an extension cable from the chassis fan header on the mobo to exit the back of the case,
then took an old 120mm fan,
3d printed some front and back covers for it,
and now I have a detatchable 120mm auxiliary fan that I can use when needed.

(yes it is dirty - made the mistake of letting my 18 month old hold the side panels while assembling tonight!)

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I just want to point out that Intel's NUC that they announced at CES is a 5L enclosure housing that PCIe PC card with a soldered mobile CPU and SODIMM memory. It supports short GPUs and costs $1700 (!!!) for the barebones kit (no GPU, no memory, no storage) with an 8-core 45W CPU. That's terrible.

Obviously, you can build a full custom desktop PC in the Velka 3 in 4L for $1000 less that's going to significantly outperform that NUC and look better too.

We need to raise awareness of the Velka 3, so people don't waste their money. The Razer 10L enclosure that's based around the same PCIe card is also horrific value. I guess some people still haven't caught on to truly small ITX cases.

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Does anyone know the maximum height of the SSD's that you can fit in the Velka 3? I'm wondering if you could fit a 9.5mm drive next to the PSU?

In regards to the 80x25 fans debate. Would it not make sense if there was some kind of loft/tophat/etc that could be fitted to the top of the case? Then that way you could have the choice of having a small case or a quiet case.

@QuantumBraced - I think we need to get Flex ATX mainstream to pull more people to the case. The noise right now is the biggest hurdle. The problem is that if you want a quiet Flex ATX unit, you need to swap the fan. That said when you consider where SFX was at the start of the last decade, there could be hope. Bonus points for modularity.