Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Rich Tea

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2019
Unless you want to completely rebuild the system, I would hold off... I made that mistake, and it was tedious. Although I will say that building it a second time helped me to rethink my wiring and improve airflow. Also keep in mind that depending on your motherboard, the black ridge mounting may bend your PCB a bit. I have an AM4 motherboard
I found this too with the black ridge, you can easily turn the screws to a point where the motherboard has completely bent without feeling any resistance. I'm sure I was half a turn away from cracking my motherboard when I realised. In the end I removed the cooler and modified original am4 backplate (by cutting of the standoff parts and drilling the threads). This has stopped the bending and has enabled the cooler to be tighty fitted to the CPU. I found it has dropped temps by about 3c too

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
There are no ITX 16 or 20 series cards with 2 HDMIs either :( Good excuse to skip this gen though and see what the 30 cards will bring. Hopefully they have HDMI 2.1 and it makes sense to have more than one again. If not I'll give up to carrying a dongle but I'm not ready just yet...

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
There are no ITX 16 or 20 series cards with 2 HDMIs either :( Good excuse to skip this gen though and see what the 30 cards will bring. Hopefully they have HDMI 2.1 and it makes sense to have more than one again. If not I'll give up to carrying a dongle but I'm not ready just yet...
I won't be surprised if next-gen cards all have Thunderbolt 3 ports. So I don't know about double HDMI. I'm surprised they still have DVI on so many cards.

AtuhMatic

Efficiency Noob
Nov 3, 2019
I found this too with the black ridge, you can easily turn the screws to a point where the motherboard has completely bent without feeling any resistance. I'm sure I was half a turn away from cracking my motherboard when I realised. In the end I removed the cooler and modified original am4 backplate (by cutting of the standoff parts and drilling the threads). This has stopped the bending and has enabled the cooler to be tighty fitted to the CPU. I found it has dropped temps by about 3c too
If you happen to have documented the process, that would be really helpful for those of us who seek such solutions :)

Rich Tea

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2019
If you happen to have documented the process, that would be really helpful for those of us who seek such solutions :)
I took some photos of the end result for a friend, no photos of it fitted unfortunately. I was going to make a full post about all the mods I had to make to the black ridge due to my "OCD" but I'm away on work for 2 weeks. Anyway you should have a general idea of what to do.
1. Saw / cut off the standoff parts to make the AM4 backplate as flat as possible. A recommended a file to get it a level.
2. Get a drill with an appropriate metal drill bit that's equal or slightly smaller than the hole, and just run it up and down to destroy the inside threads.
3. You should be able to drop the black ridge fitting screws freely through the holes :)
4. Fit the cooler as normal with the new backplate.

Or I'm sure you can just buy a AM4 backplate from somewhere else and save the effort if modding isn't for you.

In my opinion though, I think the black ridge should have really come with a backplate out the box ? Hope this helps anyway.?

rodarkone

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2019

Why do you need 2xHDMI ? when you can have 3 x DP

My Velka 3 build is almost ready final piece of the puzzle is the PSU ...

Now I need to focus on my Velka 5 build :)

nycalex

Average Stuffer
Nov 6, 2018

i got a asus gtx 1660 ti phoenix. its slightly smaller than the gigabyte and msi minis.
it has 1 dp ++ 2 x hdmi and 1 dvi.
the only downside is it has abysmal heatsink.

i'm undervolting mine to 0.875 @ 1700mhz and it stays under 75 in unigine heaven and 3dmark.

it's this one:

i bought it used for $200. has a tdp of 120w vs 150w on the gtx 1070 and it performs almost the same aas a 1070. its faster than 1660 super.

i'm running an undervolted r7 2700x + gtx 1660ti undervolted out of a seasonic 300w flex atx unit without any issues other than the fan sounding like a jet engine.

Reactions: Kilrah

x01

Cable Smoosher
Oct 31, 2019
Moving from Ghost S1
I need to remove asus z390i's I/O heat spreader and shield
My i9 9900k + nh-l9i and 1080ti run cooler than Ghost so far having played light games like Yakuza 0 and dota 2
Build quality wise, I love Ghost more.
But hey, I ordered this little guy for portability.
It even fits in my 15" laptop backpack without problem, while Ghost needs ultra large bag like Acer's predator rolltop

Limetka

Cable Smoosher
Aug 1, 2019
Is it possible to fit something (maybe "L" bracket) in here, to secure the gpu? I saw the custom internal piece, but space is kinda luxury in this case.

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
Why do you need 2xHDMI ? when you can have 3 x DP

My Velka 3 build is almost ready final piece of the puzzle is the PSU ...

Now I need to focus on my Velka 5 build :)
Do you have a PSU on order?

Zcase has the best Flex PSU back on sale for the best price you can find it at. Even if it's overkill for your build that means it'll run even quieter.

rodarkone

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2019
@larkmaj - I already ordered a PSU for V3 so I am waiting, also I had to order a new PCIe externder as none of the 3 I have actually fit in V5 ... I think next will my V5 build will be ready :)

HRT1337

Cable Smoosher
Dec 21, 2018
I don't know why everyone hype the case so much. The quality is just very bad and everything else too.

3 rivets were broken, paint off.

The case isn't worth $50 in my eyes.

Have fun with the junk... mine is sold.

billbord

Efficiency Noob
Nov 25, 2019
I don't know why everyone hype the case so much. The quality is just very bad and everything else too.

Well that’s not very nice. Did you contact velkase about a replacement?

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018

Why not contact Velkase about your issue instead of talking them down here? They're amazingly forthcoming, especially regarding quality issues. So many positive stories here, so your situation is either unlucky or, especially since you posted no pictures or actual details, you're a troll.