Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

aga98

Caliper Novice
Jun 15, 2019
Again there would be no overclocking done on my part, as I just want to run the CPU as close to stock as possible for the sole purpose of the lifespan of the processor.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Another crazy idea, but could a 9900KS work if I did a delid, underclock/undervolt and ran in conjunction with one of der8auer's custom oc-frame's, which allows the CPU to be operated and cooled without a heat spreader?

That's what I said like 5 posts ago (delid it and run the cooler with direct die contact).

I still don't think you're going to get great temperatures with this setup, but if you give it a good dose of undervolting, you might just about get away with it without hitting TjMax (iirc it's 105 degrees for recent Intel CPUs)

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
You're not hurting the lifespan of the CPU by running within specs aka up to Tjmax...

No, but you're also heat soaking the PCB and components close to the sockets.

Capacitors are relatively sensitive to temperature. In my experience decent quality capacitors are rated for something like 2-5k hours at 105 deg C, with a rough doubling of expected lifetime for every 10 degree reduction in operating temperature. In any case, 2k hours might be more than plenty for you if you upgrade the motherboard every couple of years.

If you're into DDR4 overclocking, Samsung B-dies are relatively temperature sensitive too, with very aggressive overclock requiring decent airflow on the modules

I tend to try and keep the CPU as cool as possible to improve the lifespan of other components, but this is a compromise everyone makes in this hobby, just depends on how tolerant you are of noise and how often you plan to upgrade

Last edited:
Reactions: AtuhMatic

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
Another crazy idea, but could a 9900KS work if I did a delid, underclock/undervolt and ran in conjunction with one of der8auer's custom oc-frame's, which allows the CPU to be operated and cooled without a heat spreader?

I plan on doing this with my 9900K (non-S) if the new 10 series chips come out before the fiscal year ends. It completely depends on your workloads. If you plan on doing any rendering or other CPU serious tasks, the only way you will get away with it is to turn off multi-core enhancements, undervolt it as much as possible, use direct die cooling with liquid metal, and even then you might need to disable a core or two to keep it from bumping into thermal limits.

But you only plan to game with the 9900k, it is more viable. Expect to still need to delid, mess around with liquid metal, and undervolt. You'd be much better off with an 8700k under most circumstances, but if you're repurposing the 9900k from another build and you REALLY want to get it to work, it is likely doable if you are ok with it not performing at 100%.

Reactions: Skarum and rfarmer

aga98

Caliper Novice
Jun 15, 2019
My workloads first my build would be gaming, some video editing through Adobe CC programs like Premiere and After Effects and then I also do some modeling with CAD software.

Greg Westphal

What's an ITX?
Nov 24, 2019
Hey man, Super excited to start building in the velka 5 but was going to countersink the screws on the outside and replace the button. Is there a button you'd recommend upgrading to? Is there a way to figure out what type of power button it came with?

hextanerf

Chassis Packer
Sep 6, 2019
I printed out the 3d-printed GPU support piece - can someone help me understand how exactly it fits onto the case?

Can’t help with the printed piece but I just used a zip tie (my card is open fan design) and looped it between the fan frame and the motherboard support frame. Honestly, I’m not even sure how the storage bracket is supposed to help supporting the gpu.

Reactions: billbord

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
My workloads first my build would be gaming, some video editing through Adobe CC programs like Premiere and After Effects and then I also do some modeling with CAD software.

Rendering in Premiere, especially with After Effects, can really chew through cores, but benefits from high clock speed more so than most programs. IMO, if you want max gaming performance, particularly if you plan on using a 240hz monitor, get a 8700k and undervolt it. Maybe delid if you want a slight OC. If rendering times matter more than sheer gaming performance, go all in on a 9900k. But keep in mind if you do go that route, you’ll be paying a lot more for cores you may not even be able to use

Sarafan

Chassis Packer
Sep 10, 2019
Those of you in Europe who have ordered, does your tracking link show updates within Europe as well? Mine departed the US 10 days ago and I've had no updates ever since.

Rich Tea

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2019
Those of you in Europe who have ordered, does your tracking link show updates within Europe as well? Mine departed the US 10 days ago and I've had no updates ever since.
In the UK, you can use the same tracking number with the national Postal service i.e Royal Mail.

Limetka

Cable Smoosher
Aug 1, 2019
In the UK, you can use the same tracking number with the national Postal service i.e Royal Mail.
Same here last update 18 days, when it departed from US and national post shows the same "in-transit". Realy hope the plane didn't crash or something.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Same here last update 18 days, when it departed from US and national post shows the same "in-transit". Realy hope the plane didn't crash or something.

It's probably stuck in the HMRC customs bonded area waiting for the lazy taxman to get around to categorising and assess the tax invoice amounts

AtuhMatic

Efficiency Noob
Nov 3, 2019
Have all my Velka 5 components except for the Black Ridge, and I'm wondering how much of a pain it would be to build now with the Wraith Stealth and replace that when the Black Ridge arrives in the next few days. Any insight would be appreciated.
Unless you want to completely rebuild the system, I would hold off... I made that mistake, and it was tedious. Although I will say that building it a second time helped me to rethink my wiring and improve airflow. Also keep in mind that depending on your motherboard, the black ridge mounting may bend your PCB a bit. I have an AM4 motherboard

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
Saw that the Custom 600W PSU from Z Case is back in stock if anyone is interested.
Perfect timing! I was about to buy the one off Amazon in anticipation of my Velka 3. Now I just need to find a 2060 Super ITX. Which doesn't seem to exist.