Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Is there a standard for the hole size and hole spacing for wifi antennas? I could buy the Geeek Flex ATX Plate and get the measurements from there, but not in a timely manner.

Donut

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Is there a standard for the hole size and hole spacing for wifi antennas? I could buy the Geeek Flex ATX Plate and get the measurements from there, but not in a timely manner.
I did some looking around, but I couldn't find any standards on holes and spacing. I did find some other useful information, though. Most wifi antennas use RP-SMA connectors; the part that has to pass through the case has a 6.35 mm diameter and is secured to the case with an 8 mm hex nut (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). A 7 mm diameter hole would probably work well.

I've got a computer at work with unused antenna holes. I'll measure the diameter and spacing of them when I'm there.

Edit: the hole for the antenna was about 6.5 mm. I measured hole spacing on two different machines. It was 14 mm for one and 17 mm for the other, so I don't think there's a standard for spacing. Take these measurements with a grain of salt (I used a tape measure).

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I did some looking around, but I couldn't find any standards on holes and spacing. I did find some other useful information, though. Most wifi antennas use RP-SMA connectors; the part that has to pass through the case has a 6.35 mm diameter and is secured to the case with an 8 mm hex nut (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). A 7 mm diameter hole would probably work well.

I've got a computer at work with unused antenna holes. I'll measure the diameter and spacing of them when I'm there.

Edit: the hole for the antenna was about 6.5 mm. I measured hole spacing on two different machines. It was 14 mm for one and 17 mm for the other, so I don't think there's a standard for spacing. Take these measurements with a grain of salt (I used a tape measure).

Thanks for going through the trouble. The 8 mm hex nut and 6.5 mm hole diameter measurements agree with mine. Perhaps you are right about there being no standard for spacing because I have found wifi antenna spacing to be 10 mm on one motherboard and 17 on another.

Donut

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Thanks for going through the trouble. The 8 mm hex nut and 6.5 mm hole diameter measurements agree with mine. Perhaps you are right about there being no standard for spacing because I have found wifi antenna spacing to be 10 mm on one motherboard and 17 on another.
No trouble. Good to hear that the measurements are consistent.

LegendsofMace

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018
Excited to see what's coming from MSI, Gigabyte and other companies in ITX sizes. Supposedly some good options there in the form of RTX 2060/2070 super. Definitely want to fit in the Velka 3.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
The 2070 Super uses the T104 die and has a 215W TDP (same as the 2080). I doubt they'll make an ITX version, though I hope I'm wrong. Around 180W is what they seem to be able to cool in a truly ITX form factor at the moment.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
The 2070 Super uses the T104 die and has a 215W TDP (same as the 2080). I doubt they'll make an ITX version, though I hope I'm wrong. Around 180W is what they seem to be able to cool in a truly ITX form factor at the moment.
Gigabyte has product skews that include the 2070 Super ITX. That might mean something, or nothing at all..... link to the thread.

Reactions: LegendsofMace

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Gigabyte has product skews that include the 2070 Super ITX. That might mean something, or nothing at all..... link to the thread.

Ohh interesting. This is definitely promising. Though I remember at one point someone found an internal listing for a Gigabyte 1080 Ti Mini that never materialized. But these seem to be official, so it's definitely promising.

I wonder how they'll engineer the card and what they'll do for the cooling solution. It's a much larger die, 545mm, larger than the 1080 Ti. So fitting it all + the VRM for 215W on a card under 175mm will be interesting to see. Also, they'll have to alter the cooling solution, what they used on the 2070 and 1080 won't be enough. So I'm really curious to see what they do. Anyway, don't mean to stray from topic.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Liquid cooling support will be dropped from the VK5 version coming this August. There is not enough space for a radiator and 15 mm thick fan in this case.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Michael, do you have any information to share about to VK7?

I think that the VK7 will need to be delayed until September. Right now it would be best to allocate more funds to the VK3 and VK5 to have them made in a timely manner.

The design of the VK7 needs some more thought. I will post some renders this week as a starting point for revision.

Reactions: Weredawg

dragonfly123

What's an ITX?
Jul 7, 2019
Do you have any possible information about pricing for the VK5? Also, it seems from the diagrams that you'll only be able to use 2.5in drives if you are using an itx gpu. Will you be limited to using m.2 drives only if you opt for a full length gpu?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Do you have any possible information about pricing for the VK5? Also, it seems from the diagrams that you'll only be able to use 2.5in drives if you are using an itx gpu. Will you be limited to using m.2 drives only if you opt for a full length gpu?

VK5 with a riser will cost no more than 159.99 USD with free shipping to the United States and 29.99 USD extra for shipping to other countries. This does not include the price of any accessories such as 90 degree HDMI, Displayport adapters, and USB hubs that one may want to use with this case.

Sorry for the poor clarity in the renders. They will be updated as we approach August. With a full length graphics card, you will be limited to 1x 2.5" drive if an SFX PSU is used and only M.2 if an SFX-L power supply is used.

There are two places to mount storage drives in addition to the M.2 slot on the motherboard.
1) Next to power supply cables. Options:
  • SFX PSU + 1x 2.5" drive
  • SFX-L PSU + no drives
2) In graphics card chamber. Options:
  • 193 mm card + 1x 3.5" drive
  • 227 mm card + 3x 2.5" drives
  • 295 mm card + no drives

Reactions: dragonfly123

apaperpiece

Cable Smoosher
Jun 10, 2019
Hi, I received the Velka 3 but accidentally pulled the ground wire out from the power switch. I know this isn't a big deal, but what would be the easiest way to fix it? I saw someone earlier posted this button on Amazon:
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ONOO1MW
. Would it be easy to replace the button with another? Having the LED would be nice, too.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hi, I received the Velka 3 but accidentally pulled the ground wire out from the power switch. I know this isn't a big deal, but what would be the easiest way to fix it? I saw someone earlier posted this button on Amazon:
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ONOO1MW
. Would it be easy to replace the button with another? Having the LED would be nice, too.

To fix the power button, you will need to loosen one of the screw terminals, insert an exposed piece of wire into the terminal, and tighten the screw. You may need to use a wire stripper or scissors to expose more of the pulled wire and fold the exposed end over itself a few times so that it stays in place.

That power button will work, but you will need to find some wires with pin connectors and solder the ends to the switch yourself.

Reactions: apaperpiece

jyojoh

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 9, 2019
VK5 with a riser will cost no more than 159.99 USD with free shipping to the United States and 29.99 USD extra for shipping to other countries. This does not include the price of any accessories such as 90 degree HDMI, Displayport adapters, and USB hubs that one may want to use with this case.

Any idea what the cost might look like without a riser? I have a few left over from previous builds, so I wouldn't need another one.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
@VELKASE Michael
Don't know if this is worth considering, but it may be nice to have a variant of the VK3 that can accommodate a Noctua L12S. You'd have to widen it by 30mm, so overall volume would be around 5.3L. Don't know if that's too much of a niche, but it would be the smallest case that can cool any CPU, even overclocked, and host a dual slot ITX card. The extra room in the basement might enable brickless HDPlex builds (haven't done the math on that) or just extra room for cable management. Would still be very space efficient because the L12S is basically a layer over the entire motherboard. Just a thought.

Reactions: Weredawg