Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Have you thought about including mounting points and a rear plate for HDPlex support in lieu of the FlexATX PSU for people who want to go low power with external bricks? That would definitely help with noise.

That can be done, but this feature would probably end up being implemented without being tested with a physical unit.

Currently, I think that the mounting holes would need to be in a rectangular 122.12 x 43.29 mm pattern, likely for M3 screws, a 12.5 mm wide circular cutout is required for the DC jack, and overall board dimensions are 52 x 160 mm. Not sure how much space cables need.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Notifications have not been sent out yet. If you have signed up for notifications, you will receive an email some time before the end of April detailing how the pre-production units are different from those described in this post and how to place an order.

No, sorry. The first batch will be sold without power supplies.

On a related note, a disproportionate number of people have signed up for notifications, likely regarding Velka 3 availability. Priority will have to be given to those who are in the United States and those who wish to order additional items such as fans for the pre-production units this April.

Also, here are some photos of the pre-production set.

Do you have any side photos showing the insides of the case with the components installed please?

Also on the rear photo I noticed two holes at each side of the gpu. Are those used to cover the gaps at the top and bottom of the gpu?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
How do I sign up to be notified about availability and how to order? Thanks for the help

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1bh...NuQzFv1ItKY2MOYo/viewform?edit_requested=true

Do you have any side photos showing the insides of the case with the components installed please?

Also on the rear photo I noticed two holes at each side of the gpu. Are those used to cover the gaps at the top and bottom of the gpu?

Photos showing how to install components will be uploaded sometime this week.

Those holes are not covered. They are about 1.9 cm x 1.9 cm.

staircase

Trash Compacter
Jan 26, 2018
I like the circle vents, would it be possible to apply the same pattern from the side to the top fans opening to make it consistence?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I like the circle vents, would it be possible to apply the same pattern from the side to the top fans opening to make it consistence?

It is possible, but some holes would still have to be removed to make space for hard drive slots and changing the pattern to match the pattern on the sides would decrease airflow. This case is focused primarily on functionality.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
I preferred the flush look of the front panel on the M case - the 4 notches were not so apparent on the render as they are on the sample

Is there a way to implement the original look on the prod/future version ??

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I preferred the flush look of the front panel on the M case - the 4 notches were not so apparent on the render as they are on the sample

Is there a way to implement the original look on the prod/future version ??

Not without adding another layer of sheet over it. If there is enough demand, another version with the same functionality and slightly larger size and all notches & screws hidden could be released at higher cost.

What some other cases do, such as those made by Lone and Salvo Studios, is have 2 continuous bends as opposed to 4 bends as seen here. With dark colors, the shadow in the gap becomes less noticeable. This could also be done, but it would cause some more problems with this design.

Last edited:

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
What some other cases do, such as those made by Lone and Salvo Studios, is have 2 continuous bends as opposed to 4 bends as seen here. This could also be done, but it would cause some more problems with this design.

Please do consider it, IMO you should be able to still have your screw notches for the MB standoffs. The old fold implementation is more pleasing

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Please do consider it, IMO you should be able to still have your screw notches for the MB standoffs. The old fold implementation is more pleasing

Thanks for the suggestion. There turns out to be a way to achieve this that does not increase the complexity of the front panel as previously thought, so there is a good chance that this change will be implemented in the first production batch in the coming months.

Edit:
Other experimental additions may be present such as
-3.5" support when no graphics card is used
-Extra 2.5" drive mount in CPU chamber when case is extended. May be possible to use two 80 mm fans and one 2.5" drive at the same time.
-HDPLEX 400 DC-ATX support

Last edited:

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Thanks for the suggestion. There turns out to be a way to achieve this that does not increase the complexity of the front panel as previously thought, so there is a good chance that this change will be implemented in the first production batch in the coming months.

Fingers crossed :thumb:

Ramiro_P_S

What's an ITX?
Apr 26, 2019
Thanks again for a detailed reply.

On magnets, I was thinking more in terms of small circular neodymium magnets that are adhered to the panels and frame in 4 places, almost like a screw substitute. But I guess that would be complex and expensive to implement.

In fact, theoretically you can have an actual screw that is made up of 2 interlocking magnetic parts that pulls apart, and if you wanted to you could take it out and put in an actual screw. But I don't think that exists, it would be a really cool product and would work with any case. Someone should make that.

And on the riser, I understand... So a 1050 Ti would almost certainly work in the short-term, but you can't guarantee it will work in the long-term, hence can't recommend it. Other case manufacturers definitely seem to have more confidence, but I appreciate the objective assessment. It would be nice to see this tested somehow, but that would be a lot of work. I think I get the picture now though, thanks.

What riser cable do I need for a RTX2070? Can I use that Velkase are selling?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
First set of pre-production cases are ready and a pdf file with basic assembly instructions (nothing fancy) has been uploaded.
Really good job with the case, silver looks very sleek. I just have a quick question before committing, do you know if the cases riser mounts are compatible with this riser?

https://www.sfflab.com/collections/parts/products/pcie-extender-adt

I have 2 risers from similar cases that I'd prefer to reuse, but its not a deal-breaker.

Sorry, I do not know whether the mounts are compatible, but I can ask ADT for measurements to get a definitive answer. In order for the riser to be compatible, it will need to have a 35 mm wall to hole distance and 108 mm hole to hole distance as shown here. This riser is also thicker than the stock LiHeat riser, so it may cause an issue if using fans as the motherboard tray will likely be pushed up ever so slightly.

What riser cable do I need for a RTX2070? Can I use that Velkase are selling?
Yes. The same riser works for all cards.

caniplaymayo

Chassis Packer
Mar 28, 2018
Sorry, I do not know whether the mounts are compatible, but I can ask ADT for measurements to get a definitive answer. In order for the riser to be compatible, it will need to have a 35 mm wall to hole distance and 108 mm hole to hole distance as shown here. This riser is also thicker than the stock LiHeat riser, so it may cause an issue if using fans as the motherboard tray will likely be pushed up ever so slightly.

Sounds good, the hole distance is 108 so it should work for mounting at least. The fans are a big part of what make this case so intriguing, so that I guess it wouldn't work, especially since the ribbon sort of pops up by the mobo because of the 180* connector. How thick is the LiHeat one?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Sounds good, the hole distance is 108 so it should work for mounting at least. The fans are a big part of what make this case so intriguing, so that I guess it wouldn't work, especially since the ribbon sort of pops up by the mobo because of the 180* connector. How thick is the LiHeat one?

LiHeat riser is 1.3 mm thick.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Oh wow that's very thin. I have another one that's 1.45mm, do you think that would still be too thick to install the top fans?

That should work if you are careful about installing it. I still can't guarantee that it will mount correctly, so it may have to be used unmounted. If your card is a dual slot card between 170-183 mm in length, not below 170 mm, then it should still stay in place even without screwing in the riser.

Reactions: caniplaymayo

caniplaymayo

Chassis Packer
Mar 28, 2018
That should work if you are careful about installing it. I still can't guarantee that it will mount correctly, so it may have to be used unmounted. If your card is a dual slot card between 170-183 mm in length, not below 170 mm, then it should still stay in place even without screwing in the riser.

Thanks for your help, you've convinced me the LiHeat riser is the way to go. I think I'll still try the ADT and LinkUp risers incase anyone else in wondering since they're also very popular in other sandwich cases, but it doesn't seem like they would work.

Unfortunately I already filed out the form without it though, is there an easy way to update it? I'm not very familiar with google forms.