Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
3) What do these stacking plates do? Connect drives together? I cannot seem to find them.

Yes. The NCase M1 uses them, see here:

NCase M1 Accessories

4) It will not be possible to achieve tool-less side panels on this model. On a different and more expensive one, yes. Dust filters could be added sooner but I will need more time to work on that.

Ok, I see. I guess I could use M3 thumbscrews, 2 on each panel placed diagonally for as hassle-free panel disassembly as possible. There's also magnetic tape but that stuff tends to be thick.

For dust filters, I think you'd need something permanently glued to the panels or maybe very fine metal mesh. I think for a case this small, cleaning is much easier and cooling is limited, so filters are not very practical, but it would be nice to have the option.

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
One thing I'm not clear on- how is the GPU secured? Is it only the riser? This case has me intrigued, but I'd want to be able to chuck it into a backpack, and the just the riser part makes me nervous.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
One thing I'm not clear on- how is the GPU secured? Is it only the riser? This case has me intrigued, but I'd want to be able to chuck it into a backpack, and the just the riser part makes me nervous.

Riser is screwed into motherboard tray in the middle, graphics card IO is slotted into back panel, and the body of the card is held between the motherboard tray and side panel.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Yes. The NCase M1 uses them, see here:

NCase M1 Accessories

Ok, I see. I guess I could use M3 thumbscrews, 2 on each panel placed diagonally for as hassle-free panel disassembly as possible. There's also magnetic tape but that stuff tends to be thick.

For dust filters, I think you'd need something permanently glued to the panels or maybe very fine metal mesh. I think for a case this small, cleaning is much easier and cooling is limited, so filters are not very practical, but it would be nice to have the option.

If using thumbscrews, four would need to be used on each side for a total of eight.

Cleaning a glued mesh may get difficult as a result of dust getting trapped between the mesh and side panel, so I think that a removable dust filter, if any, would be best suited for simplifying cleaning.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Which openings do you think need to be covered?

Motherboard opening for sure. One can get a PCI slot cover, but the 20mmx160mm opening is non standard.
Both MB&PCI slot would be nice to have.

Wild idea: how about swappable backplates ?? Since the rear is one piece anyway you could offer different types. One can pre-order based on their preference, otherwise they get the default one.

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Motherboard opening for sure. One can get a PCI slot cover, but the 20mmx160mm opening is non standard.
Both MB&PCI slot would be nice to have.

Wild idea: how about swappable backplates ?? Since the rear is one piece anyway you could offer different types. One can pre-order based on their preference, otherwise they get the default one.

I think that a cover can be made that would cover the 2 x 16 cm opening for both the single slot and dual slot configuration. Regular expansion slot covers will not be compatible with this case as is it currently, and an overwhelming majority of people are using this case with a dual slot card which would make specially designed expansion slot covers redundant for most builds.

Pre-orders for custom parts such as the back panel could be done, although it would have to be done about 5-6 weeks in advance. It would cost about 50 USD extra for a one-off part to replace the stock back panel, could be done at no extra cost for a group order of about 10, and would cost something in between for quantities between 1-10. If ordered at some inconvenient time between batches to replace a panel on a case that is already owned, it may cost even more.

As I understand, you just want to be able to use 4x 2.5" drives and have no large openings anywhere on the exterior?

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I think the only cover you need is for the motherboard section if using the case in the 57mm cooler config. Otherwise, everything is covered. If you're using an APU and no card whatsoever, then you can cover that single slot with a PCIe cover if I'm not mistaken because that's the slot where the GPU screws in and it is standard.

Edit: Oh I get it, you wanna use the case in dual-slot mode but use no card, use 3 drives on the GPU side and cover that non-standard slot. I think that is such a niche use case that it's not worth devising a part for it. You could maybe find a dual PCIe cover, where the 2 covers are connected.

Or you could get creative with double sided tape and try to fit 4 drives in the single slot config. I think if you tape 2 drives together with thin tape, they will fit on the GPU side with the motherboard in 57mm mode.

Michael, is there no way to natively fit 2 drives on the GPU side in 57mm cooler mode? Seems like it's a matter of 1mm or so.

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Edit: Oh I get it, you wanna use the case in dual-slot mode but use no card, use 3 drives on the GPU side and cover that non-standard slot. I think that is such a niche use case that it's not worth devising a part for it. You could maybe find a dual PCIe cover, where the 2 covers are connected.

Just to clarify, this is what would require a custom back panel or other small part. The part that the expansion slot IO mounts onto in this case is non-standard and a standard expansion slot cover will not be compatible.

Or you could get creative with double sided tape and try to fit 4 drives in the single slot config. I think if you tape 2 drives together with thin tape, they will fit on the GPU side with the motherboard in 57mm mode.

Michael, is there no way to natively fit 2 drives on the GPU side in 57mm cooler mode? Seems like it's a matter of 1mm or so.

This is not properly explained in the renders. It is in fact possible to fit two 2.5" drives on the GPU side in 57 mm cooler mode and no tape is required. It would look like this:

GPU side view, horizontal drive orientation
GPU side view, vertical drive orientation
CPU side view
Rear view

In 57 mm cooler mode, 2 drives fit into the GPU chamber, 1 drive fits into the CPU chamber, and 1 drive can be used instead of fans on top for a total of 4x 2.5" drives.

If a cover for the 21 x 159 mm open area were to be made in the next revision, that would only leave one 16 x 104 mm expansion slot open.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Are countersunk screws an option for the next revision, and is there an approximate timeline for when 1.1 might come out?

Revision 1.1 will become available for purchase around early August. I can still take suggestions for changes and improvements until Friday-Saturday, however the priority is to re-stock as soon as possible so there will be limitations to what can be changed and improved.

The current revision uses countersunk screws in non-countersunk holes which protrude about 0.3 mm above the surface. This feature will need to stay the same.

If appearance is a concern, then the screws would be less noticeable on a black case. I will show a black anodized VK3 very soon, which may or may not be offered as a third color option in the upcoming revision.

@Knolly - can you measure how much (in mm) of the power button assembly sticks out behind the front panel ??

In case you still do not have this measurement, it is 19 mm measured from the internal case wall to the edge of the power button including wires

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Just to clarify, this is what would require a custom back panel or other small part. The part that the expansion slot IO mounts onto in this case is non-standard and a standard expansion slot cover will not be compatible.

Ahh I just realized that the card doesn't actually screw into the slot, but only "slots in". I don't understand, why not have a horizontal metal flap with a screw mounting point there like every other case? Doesn't seem secure enough otherwise. And you'd be able to use a PCIe slot cover.

This is not properly explained in the renders. It is in fact possible to fit two 2.5" drives on the GPU side in 57 mm cooler mode and no tape is required. It would look like this:

GPU side view, horizontal drive orientation
GPU side view, vertical drive orientation
CPU side view
Rear view

In 57 mm cooler mode, 2 drives fit into the GPU chamber, 1 drive fits into the CPU chamber, and 1 drive can be used instead of fans on top for a total of 4x 2.5" drives.

If a cover for the 21 x 159 mm open area were to be made in the next revision, that would only leave one 16 x 104 mm expansion slot open.

Oh wow, that is a lot of options. For the vertical orientation, could you bring the drives all the way down to the floor and have 2 additional mounting points for the other low corners of the drives, for increased stability? Or would that interfere with the panel screws. I hope I explained that well. This little case is very complex, I love it.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Ahh I just realized that the card doesn't actually screw into the slot, but only "slots in". I don't understand, why not have a horizontal metal flap with a screw mounting point there like every other case? Doesn't seem secure enough otherwise. And you'd be able to use a PCIe slot cover.

Oh wow, that is a lot of options. For the vertical orientation, could you bring the drives all the way down to the floor and have 2 additional mounting points for the other low corners of the drives, for increased stability? Or would that interfere with the panel screws. I hope I explained that well. This little case is very complex, I love it.

The horizontal metal flap causes too many issues for this project. Implementing it would require a combination of some of the following:
  • Two different back panels and essentially an extra "SKU" to keep track of
  • Wider case
  • Steel back panel and increased shipping expenses or having to reduce weight of other parts to keep total weight below a certain threshold
  • Metal flap as part of the back panel: aluminum threads that could strip during the case's lifetime and increasing shipping costs due to the complicated shape
  • Separate piece to replace metal flap, which would require placing mounting points in places where they could potentially interfere with graphics cards

The drives can only be mounted on 2 screws in the vertical orientation in the current revision. Potential solutions that could be implemented to secure them with more screws would be to support non-Flex ATX PSUs and attach the drives to the bottom as well as you have suggested or to make both the front panel and back panel L shaped, make some of the bends on the sides longer and add mounting points there. Making them L shaped solves some other problems, so that solution will probably be implemented at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuantumBraced

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019

Don't have to jump through so many hoops - there are holes on the thin spine separating the pci slot from the M/B opening (presumably for tie down points)
A simple rectangular plate which can be attached using screw/nut should be sufficient. Unless @VELKASE Michael is planning a more elegant solution - lol

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
The horizontal metal flap causes too many issues for this project. Implementing it would require a combination of some of the following:
  • Two different back panels and essentially an extra "SKU" to keep track of
  • Wider case
  • Steel back panel and increased shipping expenses or having to reduce weight of other parts to keep total weight below a certain threshold
  • Metal flap as part of the back panel: aluminum threads that could strip during the case's lifetime and increasing shipping costs due to the complicated shape
  • Separate piece to replace metal flap, which would require placing mounting points in places where they could potentially interfere with graphics cards

The drives can only be mounted on 2 screws in the vertical orientation in the current revision. Potential solutions that could be implemented to secure them with more screws would be to support non-Flex ATX PSUs and attach the drives to the bottom as well as you have suggested or to make both the front panel and back panel L shaped, make some of the bends on the sides longer and add mounting points there. Making them L shaped solves some other problems, so that solution will probably be implemented at some point.

All of that just to add a tiny piece of metal to the case, wow. I didn't understand half of what you listed, but I get that it would be very complicated. So would you say a graphics card that's only hanging by the slot and resting on whatever contact its bracket is making with that slot is enough to keep it secure? You think there's a risk of the little PCIe slot lock breaking during transportation?

And of course, the FlexATX PSU would interfere... Should have thought before I posted. Well, that L-shaped panels idea sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing where the case goes in the future. You seem like a real perfectionist.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
All of that just to add a tiny piece of metal to the case, wow. I didn't understand half of what you listed, but I get that it would be very complicated. So would you say a graphics card that's only hanging by the slot and resting on whatever contact its bracket is making with that slot is enough to keep it secure? You think there's a risk of the little PCIe slot lock breaking during transportation?

And of course, the FlexATX PSU would interfere... Should have thought before I posted. Well, that L-shaped panels idea sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing where the case goes in the future. You seem like a real perfectionist.

Sorry for the confusion. Basically, replacing the bend with a simple slot simplifies things greatly. I think that the slot is enough because the card is supported from all sides; screws in the back may be redundant because the front panel will prevent back and forth movement.

V 1.1 consideration
How about a power LED somewhere ?? - especially if HDPlex is used

If keeping the front symmetrical, the only way to do that would be to add a pinhole with an LED under the power button, but that would take away much needed space from Flex ATX power cables. As for HDPlex, it is longer than Flex ATX but in a few days I can how much room is left. In any case, I think it would require 3D printing and gluing that would greatly complicate the assembly.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Don't have to jump through so many hoops - there are holes on the thin spine separating the pci slot from the M/B opening (presumably for tie down points)
A simple rectangular plate which can be attached using screw/nut should be sufficient. Unless @VELKASE Michael is planning a more elegant solution - lol

That would be simpler to do as a one-off piece. A rectangular plastic piece with nuts to cover one expansion slot could be done for 15-20 USD. It would be expensive for what it is, but it would serve its purpose.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
If keeping the front symmetrical, the only way to do that would be to add a pinhole with an LED under the power button, but that would take away much needed space from Flex ATX power cables. As for HDPlex, it is longer than Flex ATX but in a few days I can how much room is left. In any case, I think it would require 3D printing and gluing that would greatly complicate the assembly.

How about something like this ?? - says 20mm
HTML:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ONOO1S6/?coliid=I284K3169VMYZ4&colid=TRTND3B9HC9T&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Those vandal switch LEDs are so bright. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I don't even want a front power button. Would rather have a small, discreet one on the back. The clean front would give the case a cool monolithic look and leave more room for cable management.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jace and Weredawg