Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Here is the ITX specifications for IO mount.

As you can see, you obviously already know, there is a 2.44mm clearance.

How are you able to mount this IO plate then? How is a user going to mount a motherboard with no clearance? Does the IO plate get bent? Does it reside in an alternate dimension? Are you making a custom one for every motherboard To keep this clear, here is a diagram below:

How are you able to achieve the 174.2mm width? With no clearance for motherboard mounting to side panel or accounting for IO cutout?

Or, are you just deceiving us? Which really makes no sense, as a sub 7L SFX case is fairly impressive already.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Here is the ITX specifications for IO mount.

As you can see, you obviously already know, there is a 2.44mm clearance.

How are you able to achieve the 174.2mm width? With no clearance for motherboard mounting to side panel or accounting for IO cutout?

The motherboard IO shield extends past the edge of the case; 4.7 mm if measured from the outside of the back panel or 3.2 mm if measured from side panels which wrap around the back panel.

Fitting a full length graphics card and SFX power supply into a case of this size is not as far fetched as you may believe. In the worst scenario, if the 1.5 mm space needs to be added to the height and 4.7 mm needs to be added to the depth, that would increase volume from 5.7 L to 5.9 L.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The motherboard IO shield extends past the edge of the case; 4.7 mm if measured from the outside of the back panel or 3.2 mm if measured from side panels which wrap around the back panel.

Fitting a full length graphics card and SFX power supply into a case of this size is not as far fetched as you may believe. In the worst scenario, if the 1.5 mm space needs to be added to the height and 4.7 mm needs to be added to the depth, that would increase volume from 5.7 L to 5.9 L.

That explains it then!

But by then here is the issue:

By cheating the IO plate, you will cause compatibility issues with motherboards that don't use IO plates and use an integrated IO cover and VRM heatsink. That would be half of the new x570 itx motherboards. The Asus Strix also has this problem.

It would also make sense that you give your users some mm to play with so they can install the motherboard. Otherwise, a single tolerance issue will make it hell.

You will also need 1.5mm setback from motherboard to rear panel for compatibility reasons.

If you cheat your specs you will make it difficult for your users.

A sub 7L sfx case is possible. A sub 6L... You'd have to cheat or make building it an art form.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
That explains it then!

But by then here is the issue:

By cheating the IO plate, you will cause compatibility issues with motherboards that don't use IO plates and use an integrated IO cover and VRM heatsink. That would be half of the new x570 itx motherboards. The Asus Strix also has this problem.

It would also make sense that you give your users some mm to play with so they can install the motherboard. Otherwise, a single tolerance issue will make it hell.

You will also need 1.5mm setback from motherboard to rear panel for compatibility reasons.

If you cheat your specs you will make it difficult for your users.

A sub 7L sfx case is possible. A sub 6L... You'd have to cheat or make building it an art form.

Thanks. This will be taken into consideration. Integrated IO shields may become a concern, in which case volume will need to be increased to 5.9 L.

1.5 mm setback: This may not be needed but may be added if the above is to be addressed. The VK3 pre-production cases did not have this and they still worked. The larger batch this month lacks the 1.5 mm space, so I will have to see whether the same can be applied to a large batch of the VK5 following that.

Giving users some mm to play with: this may not be necessary because the case can be fully disassembled. The user can first install the motherboard onto a removable tray, connect that sub-assembly to other parts and so forth until everything is assembled in a particular order. If this were to have a riveted frame that panels attached to, then adding extra space would be absolutely necessary.

Assembling a computer in these cases may be un-intuitive, but I think that most users who choose to build in a case that is focused on being as small as possible are already prepared to follow instructions as opposed to putting whatever comes to mind inside first.

Cheating specs is not needed. I follow the same conventions for measurements and volume calculations as everyone else, although the case itself may have unconventional features. For example, to mount graphics cards, there is a thin slit in the back that the IO bracket is inserted into instead of on top of a bend with tapped holes. Would this be considered cheating as well because it is a different implementation of the same thing?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks. This will be taken into consideration. Integrated IO shields may become a concern, in which case volume will need to be increased to 5.9 L.

1.5 mm setback: This may not be needed but may be added if the above is to be addressed. The VK3 pre-production cases did not have this and they still worked. The larger batch this month lacks the 1.5 mm space, so I will have to see whether the same can be applied to a large batch of the VK5 following that.

Giving users some mm to play with: this may not be necessary because the case can be fully disassembled. The user can first install the motherboard onto a removable tray, connect that sub-assembly to other parts and so forth until everything is assembled in a particular order. If this were to have a riveted frame that panels attached to, then adding extra space would be absolutely necessary.

Assembling a computer in these cases may be un-intuitive, but I think that most users who choose to build in a case that is focused on being as small as possible are already prepared to follow instructions as opposed to putting whatever comes to mind inside first.

Cheating specs is not needed. I follow the same conventions for measurements and volume calculations as everyone else, although the case itself may have unconventional features. For example, to mount graphics cards, there is a thin slit in the back that the IO bracket is inserted into instead of on top of a bend with tapped holes. Would this be considered cheating as well because it is a different implementation of the same thing?

I'm mostly referring to cheating dimensions specs, like the IO plate. If you want to support integrated IO plate you cannot cheat the setback, as they are designed to follow that spec.

If you want to break specs you can go ahead, but giving some breathing room would be more beneficial all around. I think using features as a selling point rather than a pure volume number is better.

Considering you'd be the only sff vertical type, that is already a big selling point. I'd rather not short compatibility just to chase 0.2L. People buying these cases want to use their high featured motherboard. Something like the very popular Z390i would not fit.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I'm mostly referring to cheating dimensions specs, like the IO plate. If you want to support integrated IO plate you cannot cheat the setback, as they are designed to follow that spec.

If you want to break specs you can go ahead, but giving some breathing room would be more beneficial all around. I think using features as a selling point rather than a pure volume number is better.

Considering you'd be the only sff vertical type, that is already a big selling point. I'd rather not short compatibility just to chase 0.2L. People buying these cases want to use their high featured motherboard. Something like the very popular Z390i would not fit.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I will think of some solution.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
For those who are planning on getting the Velka 3, the new availability date is June 14. Cases will start shipping June 17-19. Links to purchase will be sent out via email for those signed up for Velka 3 notifications and also posted here. New photos and temperature testing results will be posted here beforehand.

-------
Prices
  • Case only: $99.99
  • Case with riser: $119.99
  • VF-8010 fan (each): $15.99
Shipping (cases)
  • United States
    • free
  • Worldwide
    • $29.99
Shipping (fans)
  • United States
    • free
  • Worldwide
    • $5.99 each
Available colors
  • Dark Gray
  • Silver

In this version (revision 1), it is now possible to use a 2.5" drive with case fans at the same time. Before this, using case fans required the use of an M.2 drive.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Are you offering power supplies to buy as well ??

No, only recommendations on which ones to buy. If there is a particular power supply that you are interested in that is not sold in your region but is available in the United States, we can figure something out with importing it.

As a side note, here are some temperature testing results. Parts run only a few degrees warmer than in open air when no case fans are used, and can run cooler than in open air when case fans are used. Only tested with an R7 1700 and GTX 1080 for now because temperature sensors do not work correctly with my R3 2200G and my M.2 drive, but it goes without saying that it can handle builds with similar CPUs and builds without discrete graphics cards.

Knolly

Chassis Packer
Jan 12, 2017
From the standpoint of recommending power supplies, is there a better option than FSP400-60FGGBA for the following build?
  • Processor - AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
  • Mobo - Asus - ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
  • Memory - Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
  • Storage - Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  • GPU - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB MINI ITX Video Card
  • CPU Cooler - Noctua - NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
I'm assuming I'm going to want two VF-8010 fans as well, what is the ideal arrangement based on your thermal testing? Thanks in advance for any advice!

EDIT: On further review, would Enhance ENP-7660B be a better option to give myself a little more overhead? If I'm concerned about noise is there any difference between the Enchance and FSP?

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
From the standpoint of recommending power supplies, is there a better option than FSP400-60FGGBA for the following build?
  • Processor - AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
  • Mobo - Asus - ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
  • Memory - Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
  • Storage - Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  • GPU - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB MINI ITX Video Card
  • CPU Cooler - Noctua - NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
I'm assuming I'm going to want two VF-8010 fans as well, what is the ideal arrangement based on your thermal testing? Thanks in advance for any advice!

EDIT: On further review, would Enhance ENP-7660B be a better option to give myself a little more overhead? If I'm concerned about noise is there any difference between the Enchance and FSP?

Case fans would work best set to exhaust.

The FSP 400 W power supply is best from a value standpoint and will be sufficient for this type of build. It will also result in the least amount of cable clutter. The Enhance is $40 more and can supply more power, and is perhaps slightly more quiet, but you likely will not notice the difference with an RTX 2070 mini fan spinning under load. I would still recommend the one by FSP.

Reactions: Knolly

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
No, only recommendations on which ones to buy. If there is a particular power supply that you are interested in that is not sold in your region but is available in the United States, we can figure something out with importing it.

As a side note, here are some temperature testing results. Parts run only a few degrees warmer than in open air when no case fans are used, and can run cooler than in open air when case fans are used. Only tested with an R7 1700 and GTX 1080 for now because temperature sensors do not work correctly with my R3 2200G and my M.2 drive, but it goes without saying that it can handle builds with similar CPUs and builds without discrete graphics cards.

I didn't know they made 1080's that small, really cool!

Looking forward to actual product shots

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
To order Velka 3 via Google Forms, click here. This link is also available in the post. eBay will be temporarily unavailable. At first, orders must be processed in the order in which people have signed up for notifications. Those who have previously tried to purchase a pre-production unit and did not get a chance to complete the order due to the limited quantity will be given priority as well.

There is a cosmetic issue with some cases as shown below, which is also explained in the order form and in every invoice sent. A line may be visible near bends.