Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I want use one of the Velkases to host a mini ITX motherboard, with one or two 3.5" HDD. I DO NOT need a video card as I will be using the on board graphics card. Which one of the Velkase has the mounting kits to do that ? Can the video card space be used to mount 3.5" HDDs ?
My goal is to minimize the space footprint, migrating from an Ncase M1. Thank you
You may be able to find and use a PCI to 3.5" drive adapter bracket somewhere to mount a 3.5" drive in the entire GPU chamber of the Velka 3 or the upper half of that of the 5 and 7.

The Velka 5 and 7 can also accept a 3.5" drive at the bottom half of the GPU chamber. You can use 3 of the 6 included 6-32 UNC (aka PSU screws) screws for the PSU and 3 to mount the HDD to the bottom panel of the case. Do note that those screws have round heads that will protrude 2-3 mm at the bottom of the case, which you can reduce to ~1 mm by sourcing flathead 6-32 UNC screws. Sourcing a few additional screws will also allow you to use a small internal bracket to secure the drive on its opposite side.

This is not described in the manual but it works similarly to the 2.5" drive mount, except with the other holes circled in blue.

Reactions: ChinStrap

minicase

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 5, 2023
Thank you for the guidance. I am assuming you are referring to this type of PCI to HDD adapter ?

This would mean that I can install two 3.5" HDD on the Velka 5. A very good option it seems

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Thank you for the guidance. I am assuming you are referring to this type of PCI to HDD adapter ?

This would mean that I can install two 3.5" HDD on the Velka 5. A very good option it seems
Right, something like that should work as long as it fits within the space available for the GPU. The Velka 5 and 7 fit up to 145 mm tall PCI cards measured from the PCI edge connector (reference height is 111 mm). I do not know whether that specific bracket model will fit as it looks to be quite tall.

Also, please keep in mind that all of this info relates to current revision 2.0-2.1 of these cases.

Last edited:

RandomUser

What's an ITX?
New User
May 15, 2023
I recently came across some specifications on the website regarding GPU support for a specific case, and I have a few questions regarding the dimensions mentioned.

According to the website, the maximum GPU dimensions supported are stated as 175 x 43* x 148 mm and 178 x 40* x 148 mm. However, when I look at the case dimensions, it measures 189 x 96 x 218 mm. This got me wondering about the additional 9mm in length. I assume that 5mm is accounted for the front panel, and 1mm for the back panel, but that still leaves 3mm unaccounted for.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm contemplating the possibility of fitting a GPU board with a length of 185mm, which is 7mm longer than the maximum stated length. I was wondering if it would be feasible to mill a 4mm depth hole in the front panel to accommodate the additional length. I understand that modifications may not always be advisable, but I'm simply exploring my options.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I recently came across some specifications on the website regarding GPU support for a specific case, and I have a few questions regarding the dimensions mentioned.

According to the website, the maximum GPU dimensions supported are stated as 175 x 43* x 148 mm and 178 x 40* x 148 mm. However, when I look at the case dimensions, it measures 189 x 96 x 218 mm. This got me wondering about the additional 9mm in length. I assume that 5mm is accounted for the front panel, and 1mm for the back panel, but that still leaves 3mm unaccounted for.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm contemplating the possibility of fitting a GPU board with a length of 185mm, which is 7mm longer than the maximum stated length. I was wondering if it would be feasible to mill a 4mm depth hole in the front panel to accommodate the additional length. I understand that modifications may not always be advisable, but I'm simply exploring my options.
Some of the space is taken up by the side panel bend and the strut/bracket behind it. You would have to cut through 3 parts if your graphics card cooler is also 185 mm.

Mamilias

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 2, 2020
That render is for a concept that might become a replacement part for rev 2.0 Velka 5 and 7 cases (for the top, back, bottom because it is all one piece) or a part of an alternative variant of a future Velka 5/7.

If it is to be made, it would likely have to be made around the same time as the next revision which will take a long time. I plan to release a different, slightly larger model with direct rear graphics card port access before then.
Hello Michael, will this render finally come in production ?

Mamilias

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 2, 2020
That render is for a concept that might become a replacement part for rev 2.0 Velka 5 and 7 cases (for the top, back, bottom because it is all one piece) or a part of an alternative variant of a future Velka 5/7.

If it is to be made, it would likely have to be made around the same time as the next revision which will take a long time. I plan to release a different, slightly larger model with direct rear graphics card port access before then.
Hello Michael, is there any update regarding this? Will these panels for direct access to the GPU Porta come to production?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hello Michael, is there any update regarding this? Will these panels for direct access to the GPU Porta come to production?
A more refined version of that is expected to be ready by end of June as part of a new case revision, but not as a replacement part for the current cases.

SenseiTangerine

What's an ITX?
New User
May 31, 2023
A more refined version of that is expected to be ready by end of June as part of a new case revision, but not as a replacement part for the current cases.
Are there any ideas as to wether the supported GPU size will be any bigger/smaller on the revised 7? As many GPU's are bigger now and I'm interested in the revision (current Velka 7 owner) I'm trying to make the best choice as I can given the poor cooler size selection these days.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Are there any ideas as to wether the supported GPU size will be any bigger/smaller on the revised 7? As many GPU's are bigger now and I'm interested in the revision (current Velka 7 owner) I'm trying to make the best choice as I can given the poor cooler size selection these days.
It will be the same

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I love my Velka 3 v.2 and very much interested to see these new revisions. Also happy to see Velkase understands it's audience and doesn't intend to make things bigger for a change or be an all-round case that can fit all parts. With the recent gpu releases taking a direction towards low tdp in dual slot form, any upgrade needs can be accomodated as well.
Any possibility to have them avaiable within the EU, like how it was with density.sk back then?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Any possibility to have them avaiable within the EU, like how it was with density.sk back then?
It's a possibility but I'd suggest expressing your interest (this applies to anyone in the EU for that matter) to Density.sk because it's ultimately their decision on what to stock.

Reactions: GucksTV

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
Hey guys! :) Video is going live in a few seconds!
It is the comparison between Nvidias RTX 4070 Founders Edition and the Gainward Ghost.
There is a 10% price difference (599€ vs. 659€) in Germany and both cards fit inside the Velka 7 by @VELKASE Michael
I do show off 650W SFX with 8-Pin and 850W with 12VHPWR in the case and test both temperatures and noise:

Hope you like it! <3

Reactions: wipefox

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
Velka 5 cases are out of stock until a design update in the first half of 2023.

King Of The Hill Reaction GIF

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I do very much look forward to the third version of the Velka 3. Also definitely wish to see the reviews and build videos in youtube by OT, GucksTV and others, so please send them a piece to cover. Hope some use an ITX 4060 - there are pretty much no coverage of ITX models anywhere yet.

Reactions: GucksTV

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
That's a bummer. 2022 brought nothing but big cases, now that we have some suitable gpu's, the timing would've been ideal.
Hopefully things are ok.

Reactions: wipefox