Power Supply SFX-L PSU compilation

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ha, I'd need my own unit. Wouldn't want to borrow yours because I can't guarantee it'll survive testing :p

If the SilverStone version has a good fan controller and noise profile, what advantage would there be for a custom version? Just pricing?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If the SilverStone version has a good fan controller and noise profile, what advantage would there be for a custom version? Just pricing?

Presumably (in my mind at least), a better fan and our own choice of branding. Easy/inexpensive things to replace.

I'm also curious if Seasonic has something in the works. I been trying to nudge them the same way we did with Sirfa/High Power, maybe they will take the bait this time...lol

Boy, that would be something, wouldn't it?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've seen prices mentioned for UL cert as $10,000 to $20,000.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
2 years ago, High Power was willing to do the engineering and certification for SFX-L around USD 40,000.

We can prob get some retailers to split the order, but it all depends on how much complaint there is for the SS unit.

Not sure offering cheaper SFX-L is viable option, b/c we don't have the resources or scale to play that game. Offering better sound profile for the same price is more realistic.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I wonder if Seasonic has something in the works. I been trying to nudge them the same way we did with Sirfa/High Power, maybe they will take the bait this time...lol
Boy, that would be something, wouldn't it?

Seasonic *may require a physical meeting in Taiwan. Also, if Seasonic is game, maybe Corsair will too.

This way we get some options in SFX.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Corsair have shown no inclination towards SFF as of yet. Their ITX case designs are monolithic.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Corsair have shown no inclination towards SFF as of yet. Their ITX case designs are monolithic.
And basically huge, like the Air 240 (33L) and 380T (~40L). But with all ATX PSU's and no SFX PSU's in their lineup, they won't even think about building efficient cases.

But how long will they last ? SFF is gaining ground and this new 700W SFX-L got a lot of media attention.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
This should put into perspective how bloated mATX cases are... And where Nova sits among some of the most popular.

Not to pump up our own project, but it's illustrative of how much space can be relinquished if you're thoughtful about the design.

EDIT: And a comparison to mITX cases, to show that mATX can be size competitive even against cases that use the smaller motherboard:

Last edited:

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
The Prodigy M is 36L, unless we're talking without the handles, but I don't think that's fair. They should be counted.
The Silverstone TJ08E remains my favourite mATX of the currently released cases on the market. ~30L, supports 200mm front rad and 120mm back rad. Build quality unfortunately leaves much to be desired, but such is life.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
These figures ignore the space taken up by handles, and treat the cases as rectangular prisms using the most extreme dimensions as the edges. Most cases are boxes anyway, but for those that have curved or angled faces, the air "gap" between those sides and the bounding box used for volume measurement is still counted, since for all practical purposes that space is still taken up by the case.

So it's a favorable analysis for cases with really big handles (like the Prodigy) - but, of all the ways to compare, it's the fairest that I can come up with. Especially since many cases are handle-less, or have optional handles.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Interesting. I agree with Vittra that you're too generous not to account for the handles. It's like you say: the space is taken up even though it's air. Because many of the cases with feet use the extra clearance for ventilation meaning without them it would most likely make the build useless or severely compromised. At the very least, use (projected) footprint sizes.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'll be the first to admit that just about the last company I would have expected to announce SFX would be Corsair :rolleyes:

Still, and as other people have said, it's only a good thing that we're seeing more attention given to SFX and SFF more broadly.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Now that they have the PSU in their lineup we'll probably see other cases to take advantage of it in the coming years.