NCASE M1 V6 info

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
FAQ

Q: When/where can I order the M1?

A: The M1 is now discontinued as of October, 2021.

Q: Will x fit?

A: See the specs towards the end of this post. Also see the GPU compatibility list.

Q: Which parts are backward compatible?

A: The following parts from V6 are backward compatible with older versions:
  • Exterior panels
  • Front I/O bracket w/ports
  • Side fan bracket
  • 3.5"/2.5" and ODD drive brackets
  • Motherboard tray

M1 V6 User Manual - see end of this post

M1 V6 changelog

V6.1

Chassis
-Adjusted front SFX mount position
-Adjusted 2.5" mounting holes
-Adjusted 2.5" drive SATA connector cutouts
-Added threaded standoffs to fan bracket mounting holes

Front I/O
-New punch tooling for smoother edges

SFX bracket
-Added/modified flanges to mitigate possible PSU movement

ODD bracket
-Adjusted 2.5" drive mount screw holes for improved stacking bracket support
-Added chassis mounted 2.5" drive screw access holes
-Adjusted aux chassis 2.5" drive screw access holes

Parts box
-Removed 120mm fan filters
-Fan grille count changed to 2
-Adjusted screw counts

Power cable
-Changed to right angle

V6

Front I/O
-Added USB Type C port (requires motherboard 20 pin Key A header, see list)
-Changed headphone and mic ports to single combo jack
-All ports use new molds
-Redesigned I/O bracket with swappable no-I/O faceplate (ports can be removed for cleaner look/slightly better 2.2+ slot GPU compatibility)

Chassis
-Redesigned ventilation holes on bottom and rear to improve airflow
-Added longer fan mounting slots on the bottom
-Bottom vents moved to separate steel floor plate attached to underside of chassis
-Added bottom magnetic dust filter
-Threaded inserts on PCI bracket
-Added M4 screw holes for window mounting to chassis
-Front-right chassis flange reduced, SFX PSU can now be installed from the right side
-Reduced rear-left chassis flange to facilitate GPU installation
-Enlarged chassis front GPU passthrough to facilitate GPU installation and provide more room for oversized GPUs
-Removed four panel mounting clips from side flanges to reduce incidence of oversized GPU conflicts
-Changed front 2.5" drive mounting to use screws instead of rubber grommets to save space/reduce complexity
-Integrated fan bracket mount into chassis flanges
-Added inside-front mounting for SFX PSU
-Added Kensington slot to rear

Fan bracket
-Added more and longer 120mm fan mounting slots for greater range of mounting

Motherboard tray
-Changed to removable standoffs

ODD bracket
-Redesigned to single piece, now supports 9.5mm and 12.7mm ODD drives

HDD cage
-Redesigned to two pieces, now supports 2x 3.5" drives *or* 3x 2.5" drives; now allows mounting to inside front 2.5" mount (3x 2.5" configuration only)

Top panel
-Changed to 2mm thick

Side panels
-Extended ventilated area adjacent to GPU

Other
-New 15mm tall molded rubber feet
-New adjustable GPU support bracket (adjustable for 2-2.5 slot cards)

Renders

Full Specs

Volume
  • 12.7L
External Dimensions
  • Including feet & protrusions: 338 x 160.6 x 255.5mm
  • Excluding feet & protrusions: 328 x 160.6 x 241.7mm
Materials
  • Exterior panels: brushed anodized aluminum, 1.5mm front and sides, 2mm top panel
  • Interior frame: 1.5mm matte black painted aluminum
  • Interior fan bracket and vented undercarriage: 1.2mm black steel
Front I/O
  • Power button with dual-color LED backlight (power on/HDD access)
  • Two USB Type A ports (to 19 pin USB header)
  • One USB Type C port (to 20 pin Key A header - see list of compatible boards)
  • One 3.5mm headphone/mic combo jack (to HD Audio header)
  • Blank no-I/O face plate included
Motherboard Support
  • Mini-ITX, Mini-DTX
CPU Cooler Support
  • Maximum height: 130mm with side fan bracket installed, 135mm without
  • CPU Heatsinks must not extend past the top edge of the motherboard by more than 10mm.
  • CPU Heatsinks that extend beyond the front edge of the motherboard may interfere with the 3.5" HDD cage and/or power supply (in the default right-side mounting location).
Graphics Card Support
  • Cards up to 280mm long (up to 290mm with front I/O ports removed):
    • Height: up to 140mm at mid-card, 130mm at rear corner
    • Thickness: up to 3 slots (60mm)
  • Cards over 280mm long:
    • Height: up to 140mm at mid-card, 130mm at rear corner, 125mm at front corner
    • Thickness: up to 2.2 slots (45mm)
  • Note on height limits: please allow 15-20mm for PCIe power connectors
  • Also see GPU compatibility list
Drive Support
  • Optical Disc Drive (requires optional top panel with ODD slot)
    • ODD bracket supports slim slot-loading optical drives in 9.5mm or 12.7mm sizes
    • Alternatively, bracket may be used for a single 2.5" drive (up to 14mm thick)
  • 2x 3.5" HDDs supported via removable brackets attached to the fan bracket (uses up one side 120mm fan location)
    • Alternatively, brackets can support 3x 2.5" drives (up to 15.5mm thick)
  • 1x 2.5" drive mount on inside-front of chassis (any thickness); also supports mounting of the HDD brackets in 3x 2.5" drive configuration in place of a single 2.5" drive
Fan Support
  • Side (fan bracket): 2x 120mm
  • Bottom: 2x 120mm
  • Rear: 1x 92mm
Liquid Cooling Support
  • 1x 240 radiator or up to 2x 120 radiators are supported on the side fan bracket
  • Radiators less than 35mm thick are recommended
  • 1x 240 or 2x 120 radiators precludes use of the HDD brackets attached to the fan bracket
Power Supply
  • SFX, SFX-L
M1 V6 User Manual

Other resources

Last edited:

GerryMz

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2019
The next revision of the M1 - V6 - should be ready and available through SFFLab in June, barring any further delays.
really excited about these news, can't wait to build my first itx build ! would you be able provide an estimated price?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Can't say yet. The V5 has been $195+shipping for a while, but it's possible we could see a small price increase due to the new features coming in V6.

Reactions: fabio

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
They'll probably be up for preorder on SFFLab, though I don't know when that will be yet.

Reactions: fabio

Drifting Soul

Case Bender
Feb 18, 2019
Is there any chance you could provide a list or outline of the new features V6 provides? I've looked around, but was unable to find information about this update/revision.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hate to disappoint you, but the dimensions won't be changing significantly, which means cooler compatibility will be the same. IMO if you add 30mm (for the U12A), or even 10mm (for the C14S with both fans) to the width it's not really the same case anymore.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I am dreaming support for the Noctua U12A and the C14S!

I think it does support the C14s with the ATX PSU bracket in place. But I know what you're getting at.

I would be interested in more 3.5 inch HD mounting options. I had to take my 3.5 inch HD out to fit a 240mm rad (First world problems...I know). The bottom mounting position caused the HD to be cooked by my video card and was unsustainable. Of course I am running a high overclock on both the GPU and CPU so anyone not trying to do dumb stuff will probably be fine. Always hoping for the impossible over here...

Edit: Second thoughts... maybe have a way to fit a 120mm intake fan with the bottom mount HD?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
The bottom drive mounts are actually going away completely. Not many people used them, and as you noted drives tend to get cooked by the GPU down there too.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
The bottom drive mounts are actually going away completely. Not many people used them, and as you noted drives tend to get cooked by the GPU down there too.

I can understand that. The benefit is it will open up more airflow for the GPU. Are you going to revise the fan openings?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Very interested in the V6, anychance well be getting TG or at least TG support?
I've never been in favor of a window for the M1, but w360 may decide to offer one. We're adding some screw holes on the chassis that could support a full window, at least.

I can understand that. The benefit is it will open up more airflow for the GPU. Are you going to revise the fan openings?
Yeah, I've opened up the bottom ventilation quite a bit.

Reactions: Maniac

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hate to disappoint you, but the dimensions won't be changing significantly, which means cooler compatibility will be the same. IMO if you add 30mm (for the U12A), or even 10mm (for the C14S with both fans) to the width it's not really the same case anymore.
I know was only a dream! BUT eager to see all the tiny modification!

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I've never been in favor of a window for the M1, but w360 may decide to offer one. We're adding some screw holes on the chassis that could support a full window, at least.

Yeah, I've opened up the bottom ventilation quite a bit.

With the revised bottom, is there room for 140mm fans?

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
Is there a chance you could tease us with some sort of a render, photos, etc. that would showcase some changes? I'm mostly interested in the side panel redesign as far as vent holes, and color options if any like white panels, black top? Plugs for the rear or perhaps extending the rear vents? Front I/O option for just a power button? I don't know ... just my two cents.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
With the revised bottom, is there room for 140mm fans?
The dimensions haven't changed, so there really isn't any more room for fans than there is with V5. I've added some new mounting holes for 140mm fans, though, so if you can find fans that fit, you'll be able to screw them in, at least.

Is there any possibility to change the front I/O design for bottom radiator?
No. I mean, I don't know what change I could make, short of relocating it somewhere else entirely. That would obviously change the entire look of the case, and there really isn't any good place to move it to anyway.

Is there a chance you could tease us with some sort of a render, photos, etc. that would showcase some changes? I'm mostly interested in the side panel redesign as far as vent holes, and color options if any like white panels, black top? Plugs for the rear or perhaps extending the rear vents? Front I/O option for just a power button? I don't know ... just my two cents.
White is not in the cards, but we may offer another anodized color.
The rear vents are a bit more open, much like the bottom.
I'll post renders closer to release, as I'm still waiting to confirm that all the changes will make it to production. I don't want to tease something and end up having to retract it later.

Reactions: Maniac and fabio

RZEX

Caliper Novice
Mar 30, 2019
The dimensions haven't changed, so there really isn't any more room for fans than there is with V5. I've added some new mounting holes for 140mm fans, though, so if you can find fans that fit, you'll be able to screw them in, at least.

No. I mean, I don't know what change I could make, short of relocating it somewhere else entirely. That would obviously change the entire look of the case, and there really isn't any good place to move it to anyway.

Maybe a option for Front I/O for just a power button?