Power Supply Lian Li PE-750 - 750W SFX-L Platinum-rated PSU

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
Good to see they're responsive to suggestions! Where did you find this guy?
Honestly, he found me. I just wrote a technical question about the PSU and he was the one who answered. He was really responsive and seemed to genuinely want to help so I stuck with him

For #1, I hope you meant they should take pictures like mine and not literally using the pictures from the review ;)

No, I meant they should use your awesome, professionally taken pictures :). We can ask for royalties for you and finders fee for me. Man, we're gonna be soooo rich (I'm sure they're more than able to take pictures of their product on their own. At least I hope they can !!!)

On a side note, I know I told him in the email that I've order the PE-750, but technically, I've only ordered it like "95%" of the way (i.e. it's in my Newegg cart). I actually really like this PSU and it's more than enough to run my mitx build. However, Silverstone is more reputable in the PSU arena, the SX700-LPT's look is more to my taste (although I have a windowless case so that argument is pretty much meaningless) and their warranty is for 3-years. I'm not sure if I should wait for the SX800-LTI. 800W is awesome, but 80+ Titanium efficiency is more than I need and will only drive up the price.

Update:
It seems Newegg has reverted the warranty for the PE-750 on their web page to 1-year. What's up with that?. I guess I'll have t email Baron again

tylerrobb

Cable Smoosher
May 19, 2016
I'm not sure if I should wait for the SX800-LTI. 800W is awesome, but 80+ Titanium efficiency is more than I need and will only drive up the price.

You can wait, but you better be ready to REALLY wait ;)

This last one has taken over 1 year:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
However, Silverstone is more reputable in the PSU arena

That SilverStone is going to use the same Enhance platform that the PE-750 uses makes me much more confident in the Lian Li. The main advantage I see for the SilverStone is potentially quieter performance at low load by having the fan turn on later than it does in the PE-750.

It seems Newegg has reverted the warranty for the PE-750 on their web page to 1-year. What's up with that?.

It may be a caching issue on the Newegg site. I noticed yesterday that it would still show 1-year if I had already visited the page but on another computer it showed 2-year. It's showing 1-year today though.

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
You can wait, but you better be ready to REALLY wait ;)

This last one has taken over 1 year:

Well, that is just redonkulous. But, hopefully, the fact that the SX800-LTI uses the same platform as the PE-750 will speed things up

That SilverStone is going to use the same Enhance platform that the PE-750 uses makes me much more confident in the Lian Li.

Yes, but in the end, the actual company that sells the product is responsible for its QC and for customer service. I've used Silverstone PSUs in the past and my experience with them has been pretty smooth. I've never used any Lian Li product (PSUs, cases or otherwise) so I guess I'll have to see how that goes (although my positive interaction with their reps, Baron Chen, and their quick response to my suggestion does instill confidence)

The main advantage I see for the SilverStone is potentially quieter performance at low load by having the fan turn on later than it does in the PE-750

750W x 30% = 225W
800W x 30% = 240W
240W-225W = 15W

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...054ca9941ecb60959be713d356713d85H0&ajaxhist=0

It may be a caching issue on the Newegg site. I noticed yesterday that it would still show 1-year if I had already visited the page but on another computer it showed 2-year. It's showing 1-year today though.

You're right. I tried to visit the site again and it reverted to 2-years.

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
Well, I find the PE-750 fan turns on below 30% and SilverStone could use a higher than 30% threshold for the SX800-LTI.

Right, my bad. I had to look at your review again. I guess without precise information from the company there is only so much you could do, playing with your testing rig, to pinpoint the exact PSU load that gets the fan to start spinning. Based on your testing it's somewhere between 110-180W ( ~ 15-24% load). That still means the fan will not spin when my system is idle and spin at 850 rpm when I'm gaming. Inside a Define Nano S case, that is more than acceptable.

On a side note, its seems that Newegg has waived the $7 shipment on this PSU. At least for now.

Sergey

Efficiency Noob
May 26, 2016
And yet they did feel passionate enough about it to:
(1) Include an SFX to ATX adapter, which Silverstone did not include with the SX700-LPT (although they could have mention it on the product's website. I had to cancel my order of the Silverstone PP08 when I found that out from the review!!!)
(2) Develop it to be 50W higher than the SX700-LPT
(3) include an adequate bag for the cables so we won't lose them
(4) Got it to be available on Newegg, like, 1-2 weeks earlier
(5) Programmed that PWM chip on the fan so that it will be overall quieter than the one on the SX700-LPT (860 rpm at 500W, that's just awesome)
(6) Have their own unique stamped griller, because the usual wired griller is for pussies.

Everything bad about this PSU can be attributed to the company's "newbieness" in the SFX PSU market. Or ... maybe they just got cocky, as if saying, "our product is so good it will market itself and so indestructible that if it survives for 1-year then it will survive ... FOREVER !!!"

I don't know. I just wish the PE-750 and the SX700-LPT got together and had a little PSU baby that had the best properties of each of them.
Currently, I'm still waiting to hear from Lian-Li's reps to verify if the warranty is indeed 1 year or 2. A 2-year warranty is something I could live with.
(7) ... and price: SX700-LPT on Amazon.com set price for $199. PE-750 on newegg.com - $160.

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
(7) ... and price: SX700-LPT on Amazon.com set price for $199. PE-750 on newegg.com - $160.

Also, Newegg gives me free shipping while at Amazon it's $4.99. So it's $160 vs $204. What were Silverstone thinking?

P.S.
I've put it in my cart just to check if there was any shipping fee or taxes I have to pay and discovered that Amazon only had 5 left in stock !!!

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The SX700-LPT that's currently in stock at Amazon is our old friend Aerocooler.

The MSRP is $150 so Aerocooler is just gouging since they got stock early.

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
Last edited:

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
I don't know how much longer I'll be able to hold myself from buying the PE-750 :\
Do we know if the PP08 adapter will come included with the SX800-LTI. That might help. I don't want to buy the PE-750 And then shell another $7 for a better adapter than the one included in the box.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Do we know if the PP08 adapter will come included with the SX800-LTI.

I doubt it would considering the SX700-LPT doesn't come with any adapter. But I suppose that could change if there's outcry about it with the 700W.

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
Messing around in SketchUp it looks like the rubber feet are spaced too far apart widthwise to be of use with a SFX/SFX-L PSU.

Well, found a picture of the FSP Dagger SFX PSU inside of the Define Nano S

It seems, based on the distance from the bottom of the PSU to the bottom of the case, that it's held in place by the same adapter that comes with the Lian Li PE-750. However, if you try to imagine it a bit lower (to accommodate for the Silverstone PPP08) and 30 mm longer (to accommodate for the SFX-L standard) then I think you're right. It misses those rubber feet by a few millimeters and rests just between them. I don't know, it's kind of hard to gauge from this angle.
Anyways, anyone knows where I can get rubber feet for the PE-750 that are the same height as the PSU feet in Define Nano S? These,
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008GUYZWK/?tag=theminutiae-20 just seem too big.

For #1, I hope you meant they should take pictures like mine and not literally using the pictures from the review ;)

It's seems Lian Li have uploaded some additional pictures (different then yours) to the PE-750 webpage. Good for them

Reactions: Soul_Est

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
Random idea, but since the bracket will have no problem holding up a SFX-L power supply by itself, why not use something like this to isolate the PSU from the case? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EV9F2W/?tag=theminutiae-20

I actually have one of these at home from a previous installation. But, shouldn't I install it between the PSU and the adapter. After all, that's where the PSU actually will make contact with the PC. Do they have one of those in SFX size

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Whether you put the gasket between the PSU and the bracket or between the bracket and the case doesn't matter, the PSU would be isolated from the case either way.

A quick search doesn't turn up any SFX versions anyway so you wouldn't have a choice :p

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
Random idea, but since the bracket will have no problem holding up a SFX-L power supply by itself, why not use something like this to isolate the PSU from the case? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EV9F2W/?tag=theminutiae-20

Now that I think about it, the rubber gasket might not fit because both the gasket and the adapter have "lips" or "ledges" that suppose to help them fit around the PSU. Bottom pads are just easier to apply and more likely to fit. I found plenty of options here: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...orbothane+&rh=i:aps,k:Isolate+It:+Sorbothane+. However, I need to know how high the SFX-L PSU will be kept above the floor of the case by the included adapter.

Hey, Aibohphobia, I don't suppose you can do me a solid and take that measurement for me so I'll know which product to order. I believe you said that the Silverstone PP08 adapter holds the PSU 7mm lower compare to the adapter that comes with the PE-750. Thus, if you take the measurement with the included adapter then I'll just subtract 7mm in case I decide to use the PP08 instead.
If it's too inconvenient that's fine. I'll just wait for the PE-750 to arrive and then take the measurement myself.

Thanks

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Now that I think about it, the rubber gasket might not fit because both the gasket and the adapter have "lips" or "ledges" that suppose to help them fit around the PSU.

The lip on the gasket would go around the outside of an ATX PSU, the lip on the bracket conforms to the size of the ATX PSU itself. So it'd fit.

Thus, if you take the measurement with the included adapter then I'll just subtract 7mm in case I decide to use the PP08 instead.

The PP08 basically has the PSU 1mm offset from where an ATX PSU would be. So the stock bracket would have the PSU about 8mm above where an ATX unit would be.

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
the lip on the bracket conforms to the size of the ATX PSU itself

I see. I guess from the pictures, it looked to me like the lip on the bracket was already going around the ATX PSU and therefore could bump against the lip on the gasket. But, since I don't yet have any of the brackets then I'll take your word for it. Cool :cool:

The PP08 basically has the PSU 1mm offset from where an ATX PSU would be. So the stock bracket would have the PSU about 8mm above where an ATX unit would be.

Thanks, much appreciated bro :thumb:

P.S.
If anyone is interested (and has $400 to spare), you can now send your SFX PSU on an aluminum cruise:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811112533

so that it will feel like this

Last edited:

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016

Well, never mind. Just got the Nano S yesterday and it turns out it has an anti vibration foam for the PSU mounting space built into the case. You can see it in the first picture on this web page if you look really close:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/fractal_design_define_nano_s_review,7.html

As for the other end of the PSU, I'm planning to use either 2 of these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062AY0QC/?tag=theminutiae-20

or 2 of these (which are hard PVC plastic)

https://www.amazon.com/C-R-Laurence-CRLClearPlasticDeskButtons100Pack/dp/B001C7P1A4/ref=pd_sim_60_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=31LAkuuWsKL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=TYCA7P60S49H852WVD4D

even though I know the PSU will be held firmly in place even without those anti vibration pads

The PE-750 should be arriving today. Can't wait to put it in this adorable little case

Last edited: