NCASE M1 V6 info

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I made a new post on the replacement here, but for those that too lazy to click, here is the summary:

2022-08-28: M1EVO is almost here.​

In the image below, from left to right, T1 V2, M1EVO, M1 Classic V6.1.

The final specs will depend on the new Nvidia 40XX GPU and their AIB partner GPUs. Because Nvidia Founders Edition GPUs tend to be smaller than the AIB partner GPUs, we plan to finalize the specs when the GPU spec is confirmed.

Highlights:
1. Smaller
2. Better Compatibility
3. Better Build Quality
4. Better Price
5. Working on Better Availability

2022-07-23: Updating or, more appropriately speaking, modernizing the M1 Classic.​

Many of you guys are familiar with CNC machining on high-end mechKB. However, traditional cases made from thin metal sheets feel outdated and cheap compared to CNC machining.

Following the FormD T1 project, M1 is modernizing to CNC, and we are calling it the M1EVO.

We finished teaser renderings. We will provide more information later.

Nice to see the design language is similar. It still feels like an M1.

What are you doing for exhaust? Is it still just a 92mm in the rear?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Happy to see new revision of Ncase M1.

I'm a bit skeptical regarding smaller width (ocmpared to previous revisions) due to taller GPU we have since RTX3000/RX6000 series.
But let's see..;)

Reactions: Wyllio and rfarmer

Wherebestcase

Cable Smoosher
Jun 23, 2021
How do you expect to improve compatibility while shrinking it, not that it matters, I couldn't get a better system for me right now if I had 6k, it's just too much much to ask for optical drives and 4 SD card readers, 2 micro and 2 full size, one of each UHS-III and SD express. I don't want dongles or an optiplex hooked up as a NAS for its IO. It seems to be unreasonable to want a computer or laptop that does anything beyond wifi/ethernet, a mouse and keyboard, and either watching videos or movies at no megabits per second, playing games or do 3d modelling. As soon as you get ever so slightly niche in your use case it's SoL.

Wyllio

Efficiency Noob
Jan 10, 2022
I cannot see compatibility improving if the case is shrinking in width. The original M1 could only fit a 30-series TUF card with angled power connectors. Now all the new cards are wider than the previous generation but M1EVO is getting slimmer.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

2022-09-28: M1EVO updated for 40XX GPUs.​

Thanks to those who voted on the Discord poll about volume vs. compatibility.

We have been busy tweaking the M1EVO for 40XX. At this moment, the 40XX GPUs that we know the dimensions for, should fit.

We expect to have the latest prototypes in two weeks, and if everything works, we plan to launch shortly after.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

2022-09-28: M1EVO updated for 40XX GPUs.​

Thanks to those who voted on the Discord poll about volume vs. compatibility.

We have been busy tweaking the M1EVO for 40XX. At this moment, the 40XX GPUs that we know the dimensions for, should fit.

We expect to have the latest prototypes in two weeks, and if everything works, we plan to launch shortly after.
What will be dimensions of compatible GPU that will be supported?

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I made a new post on the replacement here, but for those that are too lazy to click, here is the summary:

2022-10-17: M1EVO is 40XX friendly.​

Most people would agree that 40XX GPUs are big, so we made the necessary changes. As a result, M1EVO should support all of the 4090 GPUs and most 40XX GPUs without a PCIe Riser.

A list of updates:
1. M1EVO production unit has arrived
2. We are still waiting for a few 4090 AIB GPUs to arrive
3. We will test the fit and thermal of the bigger 4090 AIB GPUs
4. We will send the production unit for review
5. Then start IC or preorder on ncases.com

Last edited:

OminousD

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 16, 2021
Will the M1 EVO support the 4090 along with future sfx-l power supplies with the 16pin connector and 240mm AIO? I remember hearing about GPU clearance issues with v6.1 on sfx-l PSUs and opted for a regular sfx PSU, but with the power draw from the recent GPU and CPU releases I worry about compromising on the amount of available 8 pin slots available as well as power delivery.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I made a new post on the replacement here, but for those that are too lazy to click, here is the summary:

2022-10-23: Testing an air-cooled build with 30XX GPU + 4090FE.​

We have not received the 4090 GPUs yet, so test-fitting Thermalright SS135 on Noctua A12x25R + MSI 3070 Suprim X + ATX PSU. FWIW, Micro-ATX motherboards will fit, and there is space for 25mm thick fans between the Top Panel and GPU.[/URL]

4090 FE *could fit via direct contact with minor tweaks to the design and a custom 12P GPU cable. But, of course, this will also depend on the back of the motherboard.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

2022-10-23: Testing an air-cooled build with 30XX GPU.​

We have not received the 4090 GPUs yet, so test-fitting Thermalright SS135 on Noctua A12x25R + MSI 3070 Suprim X + ATX PSU. FWIW, Micro-ATX motherboards will fit, and there is space for 25mm thick fans between the Top Panel and GPU.
Nice GPU compatibility as MSI RTX 3070 Suprim X dimensions are 335 x 140 x 61 mm.

Could you fit this GPU inside case with PSU/CPU cooler in place? Or do we need to disassemble them to fit GPU first?

DataMeister

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 3, 2021
It's an updated M1, M2 would require more changes.
Well as an idea for the M2 (or N1), how about a properly cooled/coolable Mini-ITX NAS box. Because that SilverStone DS380 case failed at the cooling task. If you want 8 or more drives it is really hard to find a compact case. I don't know of any others besides the SilverStone.

Something with:
  • 8 - 3.5" bays at least
  • maybe an option to rack mount
  • Preferably shallow enough to fit in a 12" deep wall mounted rack.
  • ships without a backplane
  • optional backplane in 4-drive blocks that use a SFF-8087 connector.
  • for a real engineering challenge make the outer shell modular with 4 bays expandable to 8 bays or 12 bays by inserting some spacers.
I think QNAP makes some really clean looking designs, except for the fact that they are proprietary and can't be DIY repaired if they break.

3rotor

Chassis Packer
Aug 28, 2019

2022-10-23: Testing an air-cooled build with 30XX GPU + 4090FE.​

We have not received the 4090 GPUs yet, so test-fitting Thermalright SS135 on Noctua A12x25R + MSI 3070 Suprim X + ATX PSU. FWIW, Micro-ATX motherboards will fit, and there is space for 25mm thick fans between the Top Panel and GPU.[/URL]

4090 FE *could fit via direct contact with minor tweaks to the design and a custom 12P GPU cable. But, of course, this will also depend on the back of the motherboard.
this is great placement of the video card, and still room for decent thick fans to be de-shrouded

judging by the thickness of the case im assuming 140mm fans are out of the question? i have managed to fit 140s in my current setup with some little dremel work to make them fit

OminousD

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 16, 2021
With mATX compatibility on the EVO does it allow enough room for a 240mm AIO? The change to the GPU being top mounted I think it's a good idea for airflow, but it leaves me wondering about the space and placement for an AIO in combination with it and how that might affect temps.