Power Supply Lian Li PE-750 - 750W SFX-L Platinum-rated PSU

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Lian Li is renowned for their aluminum computer cases, but they've also offered power supplies at various times, either as standalone units or as PSU's that were bundled with certain cases. However, it hasn't been a product category they've really pushed in the last several years - so it was about as expected as the Spanish Inquisition for Lian Li to suddenly announce two high-wattage SFX-L power supplies, which is exactly what they did early last month.

The two new SFX-L units they first shared with the world in April were the PE-550 and the PE-750, and it's the latter of which that is the subject of today's review. The Lian Li PE-750 is a 750W Gold-rated SFX-L power supply, complete with fully modular cables and, as expected for the larger SFX-L form factor, a slim 120mm fan.

Read more here.

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
Hi Aibohphobia,
This was an awesome and very informative review, as always. I do have a few comments/questions if I may:

(1) In the 2nd paragraph you said "The Lian Li PE-750 is a 750W Gold-rated SFX-L power supply...". I'm pretty sure the PSU is Platinum-rated.

(2) I'm planning to install this PSU (or the SX700-LPT, I haven't decided yet) in the Fractal Design Define Nano S to give my GPU a bit more room to breath (and perhaps allow room for those 2.5 thickness GPUs in the future). I therefore already ordered the Silverstone PP08 from Aerocooler because Lian Li didn't mentioned on their website that the PE-750 comes with an included adapter (once again, thanks Lian Li for all the great information that you don't provide us with !!!). Any chance you could comment on how much does the PP08 offsets the PSU more then the included adapter in mm. If it's not that much I'll try to cancel my order. The included adapter doesn't have a perforated area through which dust can enter the case (although my case will have positive pressure so that's not such a big deal) and it's obviously free, so there's that.

(3)"A forum member had emailed Lian Li and apparently one of their reps is saying it comes with a 2-year warranty but I need to confirm that". First, I'm honored to be mentioned in your review. Second, I've replied to that representative's email again:

Baron wrote:

Hi ,

If your PSU have problem during the 2 years warranty , please e-mail us . We
will take care of it .

The psu fan will not spin until the load of PSU is around 30% . Once the
fan start to spin , it won’t stop even the load is under 30% again. However, there is a chip on the PSU to adjust the fan
speed ,and the fan speed change depends on the PSU load .

I replied:

Hi baron,

(1) I appreciate it, I really do. Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s how a warranty works. If it says in the product‘s legal documents that the warranty is for 1-year and the product fails after, say, 18 months, I don’t think the company will be legally liable to repair/replace my product based on the fact that their US representative told me in an email that the warranty is for 2 years. You guys really need to sort it out with Newegg and tell them that the warranty is for 2-years (if that is indeed the case) so that they can change it in their website. I promise you, both from experience and from talking to a lot of people, this will put off a lot of customers. Warranty is the first and most important thing I check when I go to buy a PSU.

(2) Actually , according to a review in https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/powersupplies that should come out some time today or tomorrow, by a guy name James Schell, the fan does stop spinning after the load drops below 30% again. I’ll have to wait and read the review to be sure, but if that’s true then that is a good thing.​

I'll keep you posted

(4) From the pictures of the 2 PSUs, the PE-750 and the SX700-LPT, it appears that the PE-750's cable sockets are a bit more flushed-out than the ones on the SX700-LPT. Can you measure the difference and comment on that in your review (in some SFF cases every mm counts)

(5)"Finally, the 24-pin cable has an additional 4-pin connector on the PSU side. Four of the wires on the motherboard-end of the cable are doubled up, and run into this extra connector. I assume it’s used for voltage sensing to improve the regulation,"... uh... what?
I'll keep the extra 4 extra pins connected b/c I don't have any good reason not too, but I'm not sure what that sentence means. Does this relate to this line "Strict ±3% voltage regulation and low ripple & noise" on the SX700-LPT web site ?http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=670&area=en
I'm just curious, that's all.

All right. That's all for now. Again, thanks for the great review. I thinks I'm leaning towards the PE-750 at this point, but I want to get confirmation on that warranty issue

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
In the 2nd paragraph you said "The Lian Li PE-750 is a 750W Gold-rated SFX-L power supply...". I'm pretty sure the PSU is Platinum-rated.

Doh, that's a dumb mistake, fixed.

Any chance you could comment on how much does the PP08 offsets the PSU more then the included adapter in mm.

Sure, I have a PP08 so I'll measure them both this afternoon.

the fan does stop spinning after the load drops below 30% again. I’ll have to wait and read the review to be sure, but if that’s true then that is a good thing.

After reading their reply you posted earlier I double-checked this a few times and the fan does consistently shut off.

Can you measure the difference and comment on that in your review (in some SFF cases every mm counts)

That's a good idea, I'll update the SX700-LPT review with the measurement. The connectors on the SilverStone stick out 2.1mm, the Lian Li manual says 4.7mm. I can't measure it to verify right now because I have it installed in my rig.

but I'm not sure what that sentence means. Does this relate to this line "Strict ±3% voltage regulation and low ripple & noise" on the SX700-LPT web site

Yes. I make some assumptions about reader's familiarity with certain terms because otherwise the review would be twice as long. What happens is that the voltage drops slightly over the length of the cables so what the PSU measures as its output won't be exactly the same as what's actually being delivered to the component.

So the sense wires allows the power supply to measure what the voltage is at the end of the cable and compensate the output accordingly. This can improve the end voltage regulation but at the cost of additional wires and complexity (thus price).

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Another excellent review, well done ! I have mixed feelings with the PSU as well, going by the review. Lian-Li seems so indifferent towards the PSU, like there is only one person in the company who wanted this to be done yet it still got green-lit somehow. The abscence of marketing, communication and documentation along with the quirkiness and very short warranty makes me uneasy to recommend the product.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
It could be something that got developed for bundling with Lian Li's SFX compatible cases, and got a retail release "because we already have it manufactured and a bunch lying around, so why not?",

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
Lian-Li seems so indifferent towards the PSU, like there is only one person in the company who wanted this to be done yet it still got green-lit somehow.

It could be something that got developed for bundling with Lian Li's SFX compatible cases, and got a retail release "because we already have it manufactured and a bunch lying around, so why not?",

And yet they did feel passionate enough about it to:
(1) Include an SFX to ATX adapter, which Silverstone did not include with the SX700-LPT (although they could have mention it on the product's website. I had to cancel my order of the Silverstone PP08 when I found that out from the review!!!)
(2) Develop it to be 50W higher than the SX700-LPT
(3) include an adequate bag for the cables so we won't lose them
(4) Got it to be available on Newegg, like, 1-2 weeks earlier
(5) Programmed that PWM chip on the fan so that it will be overall quieter than the one on the SX700-LPT (860 rpm at 500W, that's just awesome)
(6) Have their own unique stamped griller, because the usual wired griller is for pussies.

Everything bad about this PSU can be attributed to the company's "newbieness" in the SFX PSU market. Or ... maybe they just got cocky, as if saying, "our product is so good it will market itself and so indestructible that if it survives for 1-year then it will survive ... FOREVER !!!"

I don't know. I just wish the PE-750 and the SX700-LPT got together and had a little PSU baby that had the best properties of each of them.
Currently, I'm still waiting to hear from Lian-Li's reps to verify if the warranty is indeed 1 year or 2. A 2-year warranty is something I could live with.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
See, this is why you should never buy new hardware a week before Computex. So glad I waited.

I hope you're not in a hurry then, because it's not due until Q4 at the earliest. I'm hoping since Lian Li has paved the way with the platform that SilverStone won't have as much trouble bringing their design to market (like what happened with the SX700-LPT) but it could easily be delayed.

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
I hope you're not in a hurry then, because it's not due until Q4 at the earliest. I'm hoping since Lian Li has paved the way with the platform that SilverStone won't have as much trouble bringing their design to market (like what happened with the SX700-LPT) but it could easily be delayed.

I'm not in a hurry at all. I have an old corsair 850w PSU that I can put in my define nano s in the mean time. That been said, I do wish this product will not get delayed into 2017.

The SilverStone PP08 is offset about 7mm more than the bracket that comes with the Lian Li PE-750.

Wow, ok that is significant to me. Hopefully, Silverstone will bundle the PP08 with the SX800-LTI

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
Hey Aibohphobia,
I guess baron, the Lian Li's reps I was emailing with, has settled the warranty issue with Newegg. The listed warranty for the PE-750 on its Newegg webpage (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817273013&ignorebbr=1) is now 2 years.

That's a little better, right?

On a side note, I just saw the new Cooler Master Masterwatt Maker 1200(http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/powersupply/masterwatt-series/masterwatt-maker-1200.html). This thing has a built-in digital processor with a software called Cooler Master Connect. That software allows you to program the PSU's fan duty as you see fit and it even comes with a smartphone app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bifang.cmdroid). How awesome would it be if the SFX-L PSUs came with that option ?

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
On a side note, I just saw the new Cooler Master Masterwatt Maker 1200(http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/powersupply/masterwatt-series/masterwatt-maker-1200.html). This thing has a built-in digital processor with a software called Cooler Master Connect. That software allows you to program the PSU's fan duty as you see fit and it even comes with a smartphone app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bifang.cmdroid). How awesome would it be if the SFX-L PSUs came with that option ?
I'm already very content that the SX700-LPT turned out to be a good PSU in terms of general noise, not so long ago we didn't have a good SFX PSU that wasn't plagued by various noise issues. Once a good baseline is set, we can start to expect more features to added to keep selling PSUs.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The listed warranty for the PE-750 on its Newegg webpage (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817273013&ignorebbr=1) is now 2 years.

Ah nice. I'd still like to see some official documentation on Lian Li's end (website, manual, something) but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

How awesome would it be if the SFX-L PSUs came with that option ?

I really hope that happens eventually. I know I'd rather run the PSU hot but quiet since I probably won't keep it more than 4 years before upgrading.

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
Hey guys,
I'm wondering if someone here might be able to answer a question I have (I've also sent the question to the Fractal Design Tech Support people, but I think they're too busy at the moment)
I'm thinking about buying the Lian Li PE-750, which measures (D)130mm x (W)125mm x (H)63.8mm, and the Fractal Design Define Nano S. The PSU comes with an SFX to ATX adapter bracket that is identical to this one http://www.corsair.com/en-us/sfx-to-atx-psu-adapter-bracket

My question is this: Is there any way you guys can tell me if this PSU will still be able to comfortably sit on the 4 anti-vibration PSU mounting pads at the bottom of this case, which can be seen in this picture
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...a5b8f6d57a5f3e166b82d2f31ab10451o0&ajaxhist=0

or will I have to buy one of these things https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008GUYZWK/?tag=theminutiae-20?

You can assume the adapter bracket centers the SFX-L PSU symmetrically. That means the PSU, which is 125mm wide (instead of 150mm wide like a normal ATX PSU) will be shorter 12.5mm along the width of the case from either side compare to an ATX PSU.

Thanks

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Messing around in SketchUp it looks like the rubber feet are spaced too far apart widthwise to be of use with a SFX/SFX-L PSU.

I don't think they're necessary though. If you make sure the screws from the PSU to the bracket and from the bracket to the case are snug it isn't going anywhere.

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
cool, thanks. maybe Fractal Design can give me the exact distance between those rubber pads.

I don't think they're necessary though. If you make sure the screws from the PSU to the bracket and from the bracket to the case are snug it isn't going anywhere.

I know, the rubber feet are just for extra vibration absorption.

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
OK, so ... just to update you guys. I've sent Baron the following suggestions on how to improve the PE-750's web page and he replied. Here is the exchange:

I wrote:

First, I just ordered the PE-750 PSU after I saw that Newegg changed the warranty on its web page from 1-year to 2-year. So … thanks for taking care of that.

Second, I wanted to suggest a few small improvements to the PE-750’s web page that I think could better help consumers make an informed decision on whether they want to buy this product:

(1) In the Gallery section, this picture

is incorrect. This is not the cable bag that comes with the PSU (at least not according to this review: https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/powersupplies/lian-li-pe-750-review-unexpected-entrant). It should be replaced with this picture

Also, I think potential buyers would be interested to know that the PSU comes included with an SFX to ATX adapter in the box so they don’t need to buy a separate one on their own. Therefore, you should also include this picture

(2) In the Specifications section, where it says “Fan- 120mm Fan voltage varies with the ambient temperature and/or output power” you should add the fact that the fan has a fanless mode as long as the output power is <30%. In fact, you should probably include a graph showing the correlation between PSU Loading and Fan RPM (and maybe even Fan Noise Level) in the Gallery section. For an example on how the description of the fan and the appearance of the graph should look like you could chack the Silverstone SX700-LPT's web page here:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=670&area=en
James Schell did a review for the PE-750 (https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/powersupplies/lian-li-pe-750-review-unexpected-entrant) where he tested several PSU loads and recorded, among other things, the PSU fan rpm. You could use his data, or your own, to build the graph.

(3) In the Specifications section, you should definitely include this additional item “Warranty - 2-years”

(4) In the Downloads section, neither the “PE-750 manual” nor the “PE-750 manual(Google drive) links work. You guys should probably take care of that

Well, I think that about covers it all. I hope you can pass my suggestions to the relevant people and make those changes. All in all, this is a great product and I’m very pleased with my purchase.

Thanks for everything man

He replied:

Hi Liron

Thank you.
I will ask our team to update it.

Best Regards

Baron Chen

Update:
The Lian Li team has already implemented suggestions #3 and #4.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Good to see they're responsive to suggestions! Where did you find this guy?

For #1, I hope you meant they should take pictures like mine and not literally using the pictures from the review ;)

#2 is the biggest omission on the website next to the warranty IMO. With every other manufacturer, you have to assume if it doesn't specifically say semi-fanless that it's not, so it was really unexpected to find the opposite with the PE-750.