Power Supply SFX-L PSU compilation

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Seems like there are quite a few SFX-L PSUs popping up lately so I thought I'd compile them all. With the exception of the Dirac unit they all seem to be rebadges of the High Power/Sirfa design so far.

SilverStone SX700-LPT
Depth: 130mm
Wattage: 700W
Fan: 120mm x 15mm
OEM: Sirfa?
Reviews:
Notes: 700W!!! Platinum rated. 600W version coming afterwards.

High Power SFX-L500GD
Wattage: 400W / 500W
Fan: 120mm x 15mm Globe Fan (exact model unknown)
OEM: Sirfa (High Power is Sirfa's retail brand)
Reviews: Chiphell PCpop
Notes: The original

SilverStone SX500-LG
Wattage: 500W
Fan: 120mm
OEM: Sirfa
Reviews: SweClockers
Notes: Will come with the flexible cables like the SX600-G

Dirac Tesla Cube
Depth: 125mm deep
Wattage: 550W / 650W
Fan: 92mm
OEM: Enhance
Reviews:
Notes: Japan only, possibly a recased SX600-G

Scythe SPKRG-S500P
Fan: 120mm x 15mm Globe Fan (exact model unknown)
Reviews:
Notes:

Chieftec SFX-500GD-C
Depth: 125mm? That's what the official spec says but it looks like 130mm
Fan: 120mm x 15mm Globe Fan S1201512MW Sleeve Bearing
Reviews: Hartware SweClockers
Notes:

Sharkoon SilentStorm 500 SFX Gold
Fan: 120mm x 15mm (exact model unknown)
OEM: Sirfa? (looks the same as the other SFX-L units)
Reviews:
Notes: Doesn't have semi-fanless functionality

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have the Sharkoon version as I was not convinced the semi-fanless on the Silverstone gives any benefits: the Silverstone gives less measurable noise, but the same hearable noise, but also hearable random sounds caused by bad implementation of semi-fanless.

The cables are quite long for SFX and the connectors are wired differently than Silverstone's so you can't use the Silverstone's cable kits.

The Sharkoon is a very quiet unit for a gaming PC. It's barely hearable with your face right next to the case and it remains very cool in my experience, even with heavy games for long periods at a time.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
the connectors are wired differently than Silverstone's so you can't use the Silverstone's cable kits.
The photos on Sharkoon's website show the normal connector cluster that all the Sirfa SFX supplies appear to share. What's preventing compatibility?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The photos on Sharkoon's website show the normal connector cluster that all the Sirfa SFX supplies appear to share. What's preventing compatibility?

SilverStone uses a different pinout on the PSU's end than anyone else.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome to SFN wahaha360 !
Do you believe Dirac will build something we would want ? If even SilverStone has a hard time making a quality SFX PSU that isn't "annoying" :)
And would it be available outside of Asia ?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Welcome to SFN wahaha360 !
I have been lurking around for a while...lol

We are actively trying to get the 700W SFX for testing. However, I suspect there may be other SFX announcements for Computex 2015.

If the unit is really good, I can see it selling on Newegg or Amazon. If not, I suppose we can coordinate with other projects teams to bring this power supply to the US and EU.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Awesome, I'm very curious.

I do think that SFX-L is the way to go with the 120mm fan allowing for much more airflow at the same noise levels.
So I hope Dirac is going to amaze or atleast consider SFX-L.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Dirac *should reveal a 700W SFX for Computex.

Mind sharing where you heard that from? (If you're at liberty to say, of course).

(If this ends uo being true, and it's any good, that's something I'll very much be looking forward to :))

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Mind sharing where you heard that from? (If you're at liberty to say, of course).

I can't say much, but it's only a week away, so it will be revealed very very soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if other SFX gets announced too - but I have no lead on that.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
We are actively trying to get the 700W SFX for testing. However, I suspect there may be other SFX announcements for Computex 2015.
I may be interested in getting a unit too. Would you be able to get a few units or just one?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'll just put this here...

SilverStone is flexing its engineering muscle, to woo the compact gaming PC community that the SFX-L form-factor of power supplies have arrived, and ready for multi-GPU. SFX-L is slightly bigger than SFX but significantly smaller than ATX. The company is ready with a 700-Watt PSU in the SFX-L form-factor. Part of the company's new SFX-L G series, the lineup will be lead by the 700W SX700L-G, followed by a 600W model, the SX600L-G. The company pioneered this form-factor with the 500W SX500L-G, earlier this January. The new PSUs will likely have enough juice and straws for gaming PC builds with up to two graphics cards. The two will boast of 80 Plus Platinum efficiency ratings. The company is expected to show them off at Computex 2015, this June.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Now I no longer have to expend the energy figuring out how to import a Sharkoon to Canada. ;)

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Now I no longer have to expend the energy figuring out how to import a Sharkoon to Canada. ;)
Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, I've looked into freight forwarding to get stuff from China and Japan that aren't available here and it's not terrible but it's certainly not as easy as just ordering from Amazon or whatever.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I think we'll see plenty of Kimera Habanero cases with this PSU, because it's just a home-run if it performs flawlessly this time around.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I may be interested in getting a unit too. Would you be able to get a few units or just one?

I will try, but no promises. We'll be luck if we can get one unit for free / reasonable pice.

Sirfa/High Power will entertain custom order at 1000 units. Depending on how the SS unit performs - if there are enough complaints, a custom variant of this 700W SFX-L may be something we can try for the SFF Collective.

I wonder if Seasonic has something in the works. I been trying to nudge them the same way we did with Sirfa/High Power, maybe they will take the bait this time...lol

Last edited: