Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX, the 9L case with ATX and AIO support!

Jokanevad

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 10, 2020
Sorry if this has been aaked already but is there clearance to mount an EK ram module and 90 degree fittings in this case?

mariovic20

Cable Smoosher
Feb 12, 2020
Hi guys! I would like to present you my case that I've been working on for some time now, the P-ATX.

The white version is completed and available for purchase on sfftime.com, here are a few pictures:

I am currently packing black and silver versions and they should be online soon.

Here is the guide for modding the internal AC cable for use with Corsair PSU's:

P-ATX prototype:

Complete gallery:

Please bear in mind that this is not how the final product would look, it will be powder coated and anodized and thus have much better finish :)

As an SFF enthusiast, I am well aware that going SFF means accepting some compromises. But I've asked myself, does it have to be so many of them? One thing led to another, and after few months of design, and thinking out of the box (pun intended), I'm proud to present the SFFtime P-ATX, a case with following specifications:

- 9L volume, 380 x 342(343) x 69(72) mm dimensions (overhangs from aluminum front/top face)
- console/"pizza box" style case with CPU and GPU fans in the same orientation
- SFX/SFX-L power supply up to 130mm (TFX or Flex-ATX with optional brackets)
- support for following motherboard sizes:
- mini-ITX
- mini-DTX
- micro-ATX
- ATX
- e-ATX (only with TFX or Flex-ATX supply)
- support for dual slot graphic card, up to 374mm length (please see below for more details about GPU compatibility)
- support for 120mm AIO (or 92mm with optional adapter)
- CPU coolers up to 53mm in height (support for AMD Wraith Stealth, also no turbulence problem on C7 and L9 with 25mm fan)
- support for up to 2 3.5" HDD's, and up to 8 2.5" SSD's or HDD's, depending on GPU length and AIO
- up to 3 60mm case fans on top, and 1 60mm fan or 2 40mm fans on the bottom of the case
- back of motherboard accessible for cooler and M.2 installation
- 2 front usb 3.0 ports
- included ADT pci-e x16 riser cable
- custom made power switch that integrates into case design
- Kensington lock that also locks the left panel
- powder coated 1mm steel construction with 3mm aluminum stand and front/top face, and 0.6mm steel side panels
- competitive price
- 100% made in and shipped from Croatia, EU

As you’ve probably noticed, the main advantage is ATX motherboard support, which makes it the smallest ATX case in the market! This allows for almost unlimited choice of motherboards and raises hardware compatibility to another new level. So, you can choose board that has more features, more memory support, more storage ports, better VRM, better cooler clearance, older generation boards, or simply much cheaper board, since we all know that ITX boards and not the cheapest. If you need to spend extra money for SFF case, and small PSU, at least you can save some money on motherboard.
Want to put Threadripper in 9L case? Now you can to that!

More info on the official website:

sfftime.com

P-ATX GPU compatibility guide (full version on the website)

(note: dimensions do not include pci bracket)

1. Width:

a) if using ATX, m-ATX, m-DTX or E-ATX board - max dual slot

b) if using ITX board - max triple slot

2. Length:

a) without HDD or AIO, SFX or flex supply - 370 mm

b) without HDD or with 2.5 HDD or AIO, TFX supply - 280 mm

c) with 120 mm AIO, SFX supply - 245 mm

d) with 3.5 HDD, SFX supply - 268 mm

e) with 2.5 HDD, SFX or flex supply - 300 mm

f) with 92mm AIO, SFX supply - 270 mm

3. Heigth:

a) if using ATX, m-ATX, m-DTX or E-ATX MBO with PCI-e x16 slot in first position - 134 mm

b) if using MBO with PCI-e x16 slot in second position - 115 mm

c) if using ITX board and 2 slot GPU - max 134 mm

d) if using ITX board and GPU wider than 2 slot - max 127 mm

Here is the picture that explains pci-e x16 first vs. second position:

One thing I would like to point is the AIO airflow pattern. It draws cool air from the left side, and exhausts heated air directly out of the case, and doesn’t bring it to the other components. That way it has an edge comparing to other cases that either draw warm air from the inside of the case, or exhaust warm air to the other components which is not ideal, especially in SFF case.

I am currently starting the production of the first batch (100 pcs), and it should be ready in the second half of September.

Some renders:

And some pictures from prototyping and with configuration inside:

Main body and sides will be powder coated in black, and aluminum parts will be anodized in black or transparent (raw aluminum look).

Here are renders showing different hardware configurations, based on number of drives, GPU length and whether you use AIO:

Also TFX and Flex-ATX brackets:

And 92mm AIO adapter:

Price - 165 USD for the silver version, 170 USD for the black and white versions (plus shipping, plus 25% VAT for EU

I would like to hear your thoughts on design, features, and of course, if you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them!

Thank you for reading :)
Very nice when wiil it becomes available and how much....i would buy one ASAP please thank you.

Reactions: ZivZulander

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2016
No need, I will post an update hopefully around Friday. Just follow this topic and you're golden :)

Very well. I am here. :D

Edit: I will be travelling for couple of days after few hours. If you can hold a black for me, shipping to US (Florida 32814), will be much appreciated.

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com

Just finished my build in the P-ATX case, it was a great experience and the case is very well designed. I reused an ITX board I already had but intend to swap in an ATX motherboard with my next upgrade. If you are looking for full ATX compatibility with a decent GPU in 9 litres I can recommend the P-ATX. Parts list for the build is below.

Ok now this is really sick, I am really glad that you like the case and can't tell you how excited I am right now after seeing this! I really gave me more confidnce, thank you!

And also HUUGE thank you for confirming that the 92mm AIO will fit, even with ITX board with CPU position farther from the radiator.

Any updates on this? I'd like to get cables made/ordered soon.
I received my case this morning. When I get home tonight I can take some cable measurements and post them up.

I did some measurements, and I would do it like this:

ATX - SFX cable lengths:

24 pin - 15 cm
EPS 8 pin - 50 cm
Short GPU (210 mm) - 25 cm
Reference GPU (268 mm) - 15 cm

Sorry if this has been aaked already but is there clearance to mount an EK ram module and 90 degree fittings in this case?

Unfortunately, just by looking at them, I would say no.

Very nice when will it becomes available and how much....i would buy one ASAP please thank you.
Very well. I am here. :D

Edit: I will be travelling for couple of days after few hours. If you can hold a black for me, shipping to US (Florida 32814), will be much appreciated.

Sorry guys, it will be Monday after all, thank you for your patience!

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
Ok now this is really sick, I am really glad that you like the case and can't tell you how excited I am right now after seeing this! I really gave me more confidnce, thank you!

It was a great experience and all went quite smoothly, the only real feedback i have is to perhaps add a section to the manual for the 92mm adaptor plate, I actually installed the radiator with the plate offset facing the wrong way at first and had a small panic when my GPU would not fit.

And also HUUGE thank you for confirming that the 92mm AIO will fit, even with ITX board with CPU position farther from the radiator.

No problems. I also test fit it with an old ATX mobo i had laying around and it reached easy peasy. You will need low profile ram though for the ITX+92mm combo, as the tubes have to sit over the top of the ram and just clear the side panel with corsair LPX.

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
No problems. I also test fit it with an old ATX mobo i had laying around and it reached easy peasy. You will need low profile ram though for the ITX+92mm combo, as the tubes have to sit over the top of the ram and just clear the side panel with corsair LPX.

You have your tubes stacked though correct? If you keep them both next to each other then there should be clearance. Looks like you don't have any other options with that pump though. Super weird how they almost force you to stack them like that.

Unless you have enough tube and you can twist the left tube so it faces the opposite direction and goes towards the IO shield and wraps back around?

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
You have your tubes stacked though correct? If you keep them both next to each other then there should be clearance. Looks like you don't have any other options with that pump though. Super weird how they almost force you to stack them like that.

Unless you have enough tube and you can twist the left tube so it faces the opposite direction and goes towards the IO shield and wraps back around?

Correct, had to stack them due to the length, it would be fine with a different pump+tubes or with the ATX block position that is closer to the radiator.

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
Correct, had to stack them due to the length, it would be fine with a different pump+tubes or with the ATX block position that is closer to the radiator.

I haven't looked into 92mm AIOs before, but I plan on getting a 3900x and matching it with a 2080 super. So I'd be looking to go that route in the near future. Will definitely keep this in mind, since I have taller RAM modules.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
It was a great experience and all went quite smoothly, the only real feedback i have is to perhaps add a section to the manual for the 92mm adaptor plate, I actually installed the radiator with the plate offset facing the wrong way at first and had a small panic when my GPU would not fit.

Yeah sorry I've been planning to do a manual for 92mm bracket, but still haven't found time to do so.

Oh and BTW I would be very excited to see some CPU temps under load with this combination, since you are using thicker fan and there is a clear path for cold and hot air.

I haven't looked into 92mm AIOs before, but I plan on getting a 3900x and matching it with a 2080 super. So I'd be looking to go that route in the near future. Will definitely keep this in mind, since I have taller RAM modules.

Judging from the pictures, I would say that if you use ATX board, you should be able to run tubes under the RAM.

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
Yeah sorry I've been planning to do a manual for 92mm bracket, but still haven't found time to do so.

Oh and BTW I would be very excited to see some CPU temps under load with this combination, since you are using thicker fan and there is a clear path for cold and hot air.

I am afraid i don't have a ton of hard data or graphs for you, but from watching Ryzen Master over the first few days of operation this is what i am looking at:

Low 40s with occasional typical zen 3 spikes at idle, mid to high 60s when gaming for a while and low 70s under Prime95 for 10 minutes. Incidentally I have my fan and pump curve tailored for silent running so it would might be better if you ramped it more aggressively. Overall super happy with the solution, it's actually quite neat feeling the really concentrated jet of hot air shooting out one side and then feeling the cold air being sucked in on the other side of the narrow case.

GPU temps are as good as the 2 slot cooler 2080ti black performs in a normal ATX case. If you want me to run a specific test let me know and i will see if i get a chance to.

Last edited:

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Case got delivered here Thursday but I wasn't home. Picked up the case last night and had a play with it. Unfortunately not all components are here yet so this is only a temporary build just to check fitment and clearances.

Overall I am happy with the case, with only a few minor criticisms/suggestions. I'll try and write a quick review/impressions once all the parts get here.

hereforthefeast

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 25, 2019
Done with the initial build - I am purposefully not using any additional cooling right now for the sake of comparison/benchmarking. First impression is really good, very thoughtful layout and design. I like that you can adjust a lot of components without completely disassembling due to how the panels are cut-out on both sides.

amazing work @riba2233 !

*edit:
CPU stock, GPU OC thermals during 1440/144 gaming: 60C cpu / 76C gpu

Warning: photo dump ahead

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I am afraid i don't have a ton of hard data or graphs for you, but from watching Ryzen Master over the first few days of operation this is what i am looking at:

Low 40s with occasional typical zen 3 spikes at idle, mid to high 60s when gaming for a while and low 70s under Prime95 for 10 minutes. Incidentally I have my fan and pump curve tailored for silent running so it would might be better if you ramped it more aggressively. Overall super happy with the solution, it's actually quite neat feeling the really concentrated jet of hot air shooting out one side and then feeling the cold air being sucked in on the other side of the narrow case.

GPU temps are as good as the 2 slot cooler 2080ti black performs in a normal ATX case. If you want me to run a specific test let me know and i will see if i get a chance to.

Well if it not a too much hassle, I usually measure temps with AIDA stress test (CPU, FPU, memory, cache) with both pump and fan speed at max since your noctua fan is very quiet (only 2000 rpm).

Yes I can definitely confirm the feeling of the warm yet at the back side of the case, that is awesome and you know that the cooling is efficient!

Case got delivered here Thursday but I wasn't home. Picked up the case last night and had a play with it. Unfortunately not all components are here yet so this is only a temporary build just to check fitment and clearances.

Overall I am happy with the case, with only a few minor criticisms/suggestions. I'll try and write a quick review/impressions once all the parts get here.

Thanks, I am looking forward to that!

Done with the initial build - I am purposefully not using any additional cooling right now for the sake of comparison/benchmarking. First impression is really good, very thoughtful layout and design. I like that you can adjust a lot of components without completely disassembling due to how the panels are cut-out on both sides.

amazing work @riba2233 !

Warning: photo dump ahead

I responded to your PM and thank you for posting pictures and compliments!

sunrainsky

Trash Compacter
Dec 20, 2019
Wow @riba2233, I just popped by to take a peek since you replied to my post and I did not know you make your own case! I must say your design makes sense.
I am full of admiration for someone who could actually create a design and send it for manufacturing!

I have two questions coming from a noob. Please don't mind me. Not sure if they are silly questions or not.
1. Would you think it would be a good idea for holes at the motherboard placement for those motherboards that have m.2 at the back to help them breathe or do you think that by virtue of the great airflow, this is not an issue?

2. What's the hottest CPU chip it can handle? I am thinking that the great airflow means that even a smaller CPU air cooler could match a larger CPU air cooler in a not so great airflow case.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Wow @riba2233, I just popped by to take a peek since you replied to my post and I did not know you make your own case! I must say your design makes sense.
I am full of admiration for someone who could actually create a design and send it for manufacturing!

I have two questions coming from a noob. Please don't mind me. Not sure if they are silly questions or not.
1. Would you think it would be a good idea for holes at the motherboard placement for those motherboards that have m.2 at the back to help them breathe or do you think that by virtue of the great airflow, this is not an issue?

2. What's the hottest CPU chip it can handle? I am thinking that the great airflow means that even a smaller CPU air cooler could match a larger CPU air cooler in a not so great airflow case.

Hi, thank you and you are totally right, it is very hard to go from the design to production, especially if you don't have a ton of money.

1. It is actually great idea, and I have put ventilation holes at that point, just look at the pictures that show the right side of the case :)

2. I can't give you a 100% solid answer to that question, but I would say that the ventilation in this case should be better than average for both air cooling and water cooling options. Especially if you use top case fans.
I have put a lot of thought into ventilation and performance in general.