archagon

Average Stuffer
Aug 17, 2020
I'm looking at the "ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming". The header looks like this:

Maybe it's proprietary? Not sure.

archagon

Average Stuffer
Aug 17, 2020
Out of sheer morbid curiosity, has anyone managed to cram a 3-slot video card into a P-ATX case with an ATX motherboard installed? GPU compatibility is listed as "with ATX, m-ATX or m-DTX board - max dual slot (~42mm) or 2.5 slot (~52mm) if height is under 120mm". What does "height" refer to here? Is that measurement correct?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Out of sheer morbid curiosity, has anyone managed to cram a 3-slot video card into a P-ATX case with an ATX motherboard installed? GPU compatibility is listed as "with ATX, m-ATX or m-DTX board - max dual slot (~42mm) or 2.5 slot (~52mm) if height is under 120mm". What does "height" refer to here? Is that measurement correct?

No way unfortunately, strict 2.5 slot (50-52mm) barely fits with a riser. Height is the dimension from the bottom of the pcie connector to the top of the gpu, across fans. 120mm is max if your mbo has pcie slot in the second position, if it's in first position then you could add around 20mm.
Have you considered N-ATX, we have some B-stock units left still.

archagon

Average Stuffer
Aug 17, 2020
Thanks! It's not really that important, I just happened to find an ATX board that's perfect for the white version of the case (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590-VISION-D-rev-10) and thinking about GPU upgrade options a year or two down the line. There is at least one 4080 that's 2.5 wide and might potentially fit (https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards-components/graphics-cards/proart/proart-rtx4080-o16g/techspec), will have to see if they make a similarly small one for the next generation. (If not, I could just find an old ITX board whenever I upgrade my GPU.)

Last edited:
Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Thanks! It's not really that important, I just happened to find an ATX board that's perfect for the white version of the case (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590-VISION-D-rev-10) and thinking about GPU upgrade options a year or two down the line. There is at least one 4080 that's 2.5 wide and might potentially fit (https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards-components/graphics-cards/proart/proart-rtx4080-o16g/techspec), will have to see if they make a similarly small one for the next generation. (If not, I could just find an old mATX board whenever I upgrade my GPU.)

Well oddly enough that mbo actually has pcie slot in the first position which is rare for modern atx boards.. and the gpu is 120mm tall and 50mm thick so it should fit.

archagon

Average Stuffer
Aug 17, 2020
Heads up for anyone looking for a CPU cooler for this case. I've been trying to find a place to buy the full-copper Thermalright AXP90-X53 Full Black for a while, since it seems to have even better cooling performance than the IS-55, but nobody was selling it, even on AliExpress. Recently, Thermalright released another variant called the AXP90-X53 Full (ugh, they really need to work on their naming...) which is the same as the Full Black but without the black coating. This one seems widely available on AliExpress. Bought one and it fits and works great. Now I should hopefully be able to run my i7-10700 at 105W instead of the 65W I was using previously!

Note: installation involves a small backplate, which can either "cup" the existing CPU mount backplate on the motherboard, or else (if it doesn't fit) flip the other way and use longer mounting screws. The latter arrangement is too thick for the P-ATX case, but the backplate contains a number of holes to accommodate screws on various CPU mount backplate types, so I have to assume it should work fine in the compact arrangement with most motherboards.

archagon

Average Stuffer
Aug 17, 2020
Yeah, the Vision D is a great fit for this case. Similar build to Hardware Canucks, but I can't really do much about cable management with the PSU I've currently got... waiting for the Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition ATX 3.0 (12VHPWR) version to actually be sold somewhere so I can remove some of the clutter (and get some more white components in the case).

While I was replacing the motherboard, I noticed two things about the case that I would love to fix somehow.

First, the slider that the GPU riser is mounted to has a tendency to slide around, regardless of how tightly you screw in the bottom screws. I put some zip ties through the notches to try to hold it in place, but I'm not sure it'll work, since the top notch is inset from the bottom notch. Is there a better solution to this?

Second, the two screws holding the GPU from the back are a bit too small and are eating into the case over time. They also tend to get loose over time. Is there a better screw that can be used for this?

Reactions: dealda

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Your build actually looks pretty sweet :)

1. Riser issue, screws probably don't pull as tight because your riser pcb is a bit too tall so it is pulling on the bracket. You could maybe try some longer screws and a nut so you can torque it a bit more

2. You should use some washers with those screws, they should be in the zipbag, check it out :)

Reactions: archagon

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022
First, the slider that the GPU riser is mounted to has a tendency to slide around, regardless of how tightly you screw in the bottom screws. I put some zip ties through the notches to try to hold it in place, but I'm not sure it'll work, since the top notch is inset from the bottom notch. Is there a better solution to this?

I had the same issue. I suggest replacing the included screws with standard ones that usually hold the mobo in place (industry standard ones), they feature a built-in washer head for increased surface. If you couple these screws with a soft washer, you will solve your problem.

Reactions: riba2233