Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX, the 9L case with ATX and AIO support!

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Boom! Here is my first impression of this case!

I am still waiting for the PSU to arrive. Then I will do some temperature test and see how well it perform for air cooling.

This case fits in my backpack perfectly(I mean even if we do 1 cm of increase, it will not fit anymore) In case you are wondering, Here is my backpack.
Everki Beacon Laptop Backpack with Gaming Console Sleeve

The extra padding in this backpack gives really good protection but also decreases a lot of inner space.

Thanks!

Lol did you censor your cable mess in the first picture?

Also I see you have a Rift S, I am planning on getting one if I sell enough cases ?

No, thank YOU.

I guess it's too late for that now. I already got an email that it got shipped. Oh well, it was quite minor anyway :)

It doesn't have to be, PM me and we'll figure it out! :)

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
Finished the build earlier today. Unfortunately the shielding on the riser cable was damaged so my PC kept freezing up, getting like 20 fps in games. Gonna have to order a new riser cable before this build is complete.

• Sad
Reactions: ZivZulander

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Finished the build earlier today. Unfortunately the shielding on the riser cable was damaged so my PC kept freezing up, getting like 20 fps in games. Gonna have to order a new riser cable before this build is complete.

I have a similar criticism about the riser, it's not the most robust. I thought about getting a Liheat one to replace this but I think the hole spacing doesn't match with the standoffs in this case.

@Riba: would it be possible to change the supplier for the riser to a more robust one for later rounds of this case if you get around to it? Even if it cost a little bit more

Clipz98

Chassis Packer
Oct 23, 2019
Got my case today finally. Well, technically yesterday, but USPS were punks requiring a signature instead of leaving it in my already secure patio (yeah yeah, liability and all that I guess). My girlfriend was actually home all day today, but they just dropped it off inside without having her even sign! So dumb, but I digress.

Anyway, the case looks very sturdy and solid. Haven't had a chance to check out everything since I had other goodies arrive today too for my networking project. To be honest, I won't really be able to build until my AXP90 Cu arrives from China, if it ever will with this virus situation. Don't know why I waited to order until the same day I ordered this case (estimated delivery was the 28th of this month), but alas . Might just get the L9a off of Amazon (like I was planning to get months ago anyway, trying to wait for deals that never happened) to tide me over until that arrives, but we'll see.

@riba2233 LOVE the choice of stamps on the box LOL! 10/10 for that alone. Solid presentation for the whole package, very well done! Thank you!

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
I have a similar criticism about the riser, it's not the most robust. I thought about getting a Liheat one to replace this but I think the hole spacing doesn't match with the standoffs in this case.

@Riba: would it be possible to change the supplier for the riser to a more robust one for later rounds of this case if you get around to it? Even if it cost a little bit more

This is what I ordered, looks like it will work fine. It's a bit more than I really want to spend, but I plan on using this case for a very long time so I guess the investment is worth it.

LINKUP PCIE 3.0 16x Shielded Twin-axial Riser Cable Premium PCI Express Port Extension Card | Universal 90 Degree Socket {20 cm}

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
This is what I ordered, looks like it will work fine. It's a bit more than I really want to spend, but I plan on using this case for a very long time so I guess the investment is worth it.

LINKUP PCIE 3.0 16x Shielded Twin-axial Riser Cable Premium PCI Express Port Extension Card | Universal 90 Degree Socket {20 cm}

The mounting hole pattern on that riser is different from the bundled riser, so you won't be able to screw it in. Should be fine if you just leave it on your desk and do not plan on moving it anywhere. For me, I would be quite uncomfortable with having the graphics card be retained solely by the PCI bracket screws (especially since this case will support large 3 slot cards with beefy and heavy coolers).

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
The mounting hole pattern on that riser is different from the bundled riser, so you won't be able to screw it in. Should be fine if you just leave it on your desk and do not plan on moving it anywhere. For me, I would be quite uncomfortable with having the graphics card be retained solely by the PCI bracket screws (especially since this case will support large 3 slot cards with beefy and heavy coolers).

It's universal. You just put the screw wherever it lines up in their slot. At the very least I should be able to line up at least 1 of the "slots" and screw that in.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
It's universal. You just put the screw wherever it lines up in their slot. At the very least I should be able to line up at least 1 of the "slots" and screw that in.

if you look closely, the screw hole for the bundled riser is not located on the centreline of the PCI slot, it's off to the side. No amount of manoevering will allow you to screw that in. Having an open-ended screw hole and freedom on x axis won't help if the screw hole are off laterally.

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
if you look closely, the screw hole for the bundled riser is not located on the centreline of the PCI slot, it's off to the side. No amount of manoevering will allow you to screw that in. Having an open-ended screw hole and freedom on x axis won't help if the screw hole are off laterally.

Yeah I see what you mean, I canceled and found one with the same mounting holes. The p-atx holes measure 105mm apart.

Lesozoh New 16x Riser Cable 64GB/s GPU Riser Extender - PCIE 3.0 Flexible Cable Card Extension Port Adapter High Speed Riser Card / 90 Degree Socket(200mm)

EDIT: the link I gave was to amazon.com where they only have a 100mm version for whatever reason, I ordered off of amazon.ca where they have a 200mm version. Just to be clear

Reactions: snailonni

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
I noticed after i finished my build that the risers outside insulating fabric had separated from the cables within at the joint with the motherboard connector. It is functioning fine now, however I am also quite interested in obtaining a higher quality riser if only as a backup. Any recommendations @riba2233?

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
I noticed after i finished my build that the risers outside insulating fabric had separated from the cables within at the joint with the motherboard connector. It is functioning fine now, however I am also quite interested in obtaining a higher quality riser if only as a backup. Any recommendations @riba2233?

Are you sure it's fine? That same thing happened to me. The shielding started to peel off. I could boot windows and shit so all looked good but actually going into games I was getting 20 fps on fortnite with a rtx 2060.

I'm getting a replacement tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes if you're interested

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
Are you sure it's fine? That same thing happened to me. The shielding started to peel off. I could boot windows and shit so all looked good but actually going into games I was getting 20 fps on fortnite with a rtx 2060.

I'm getting a replacement tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes if you're interested

I have been gaming on it for a few days now and the 2080ti is performing as expected. Please do let me know how the replacement goes.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I'm sorry to hear that you have problems with the risers. In my testing everything was ok but of course I didn't have many different systems to test.

I am going to contact the seller to make a custom variant, so that everyone who has a problem will have an option for a different riser.

I would just like to ask for a bit of patience considering current situation with the virus, and general nature of buying something from China in bulk, they have their own usual lead times.

For a temporary solution for those who have problems, I would recommend setting pcie to gen2 and see if that helps. You wont lose any performance so don't worry about that.

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
I'm sorry to hear that you have problems with the risers. In my testing everything was ok but of course I didn't have many different systems to test.

I am going to contact the seller to make a custom variant, so that everyone who has a problem will have an option for a different riser.

I would just like to ask for a bit of patience considering current situation with the virus, and general nature of buying something from China in bulk, they have their own usual lead times.

For a temporary solution for those who have problems, I would recommend setting pcie to gen2 and see if that helps. You wont lose any performance so don't worry about that.

It's not the system configuration. It's a defect in the cable. I know this because I could visibly see the shielding peeling off and then I decided to experiment and used super glue to glue it back down. Now it works perfectly, obviously not an ideal solution which is why I'm going for a new one

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
Here's it put together, the CPU cable is pretty hideous but I have 0 wiggle room to cable manage, It's just barely long enough to reach, might see if I can route it under the mobo. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
It's not the system configuration. It's a defect in the cable. I know this because I could visibly see the shielding peeling off and then I decided to experiment and used super glue to glue it back down. Now it works perfectly, obviously not an ideal solution which is why I'm going for a new one

Thank you for sharing your experience, it helps a lot!

Here's it put together, the CPU cable is pretty hideous but I have 0 wiggle room to cable manage, It's just barely long enough to reach, might see if I can route it under the mobo. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

That looks really nice, also the first 120mm aio configuration :) To me it looks like there is just enough room for ATX board ?

How are your thermals, I am really curious?

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience, it helps a lot!

That looks really nice, also the first 120mm aio configuration :) To me it looks like there is just enough room for ATX board ?

How are your thermals, I am really curious?

I was originally planning on getting a r9 3900x but found a 3700x for $240 USD brand new and couldn't pass that up, so that's what this is running. Get 65C during a CPU stress test running for 10 minutes with my CPU fan speed locked at 1350 RMP (65% fan speed). Would probably max at 61C if I had it at full blast.

So temps are pretty good, I assume taking the side panel off wouldn't even affect temps because with this much ventilation it's more or less an open air system

One thing that I would change, is with the side panels. The back side panel is solid as a rock. No flex at all. But with the main side panel it seems like the inner support is just off a couple millimetres. So this allows the main side panel to flex in and out if you push on it. Popping in and out of the slot. I think the support just needs to extend out another 1mm or 2mm. Then this case would be basically perfect. I think I could put a small piece of rubber or something along these and fix the problem pretty easily though, just to fill up that space.

Overall though, pretty good. Going to be using this case for years to come!

Last edited:

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
So I was messing around a bit, added a small amount of material between the edges and the side panel but it seemed the middle section between the motherboard and psu would still push in, just because lack of support. So I modded a way to fix this.

I took the I believe hard drive bracket, and screwed it onto the top of the case using the motherboard stand offs included. No more side panel flex, can't no longer push it in because it has something blocking it from doing so.

Last edited: