Completed SFFtime presents: N-ATX - 14 L case with ATX mbo and psu, 4-slot gpu and 360mm rad support!

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Nice review. Lots of uninformed comments on the video though, about the price point, none of them really considering the fact that you're a one man show who sources manufacturing locally and does not have the benefit of large volume production, higher advertising budget + lower cost manufacturing benefits of being a large manufacturer :(

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Nice review. Lots of uninformed comments on the video though, about the price point, none of them really considering the fact that you're a one man show who sources manufacturing locally and does not have the benefit of large volume production, higher advertising budget + lower cost manufacturing benefits of being a large manufacturer :(

Thanks and I agree, it is fascinating how many of them don't understand some basic concepts such as low scale manufacturing and how it differs from making millions of cases with dies and stamping. I really like those "it should be max 70$" comments, I assume they would like shipping and riser included in that price 😅

Also misconceptions about steel vs. aluminum prices, classic.

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Finally got time and got ALMOST everything needed to get my build into the N-ATX. Been a long time coming but it is worth it! Here's the semi-final build

To recap, this is a 14.5L build with mDTX motherboard, 360 radiator, SFX-L PSU and a thickboi D5 pump-res combo. Everything is super tight, and by tight I mean touching each other such that's there's no wiggle room at all. The water flow is as following:
  • From pump outlet (left) into CPU inlet (bottom), then CPU outlet (top), passes through 1 in-line temp sensor and into GPU inlet (left)
  • Then GPU outlet (right), passes through the Koolance water flow and temp sensor combo into the radiator inlet (top)
  • Coming out of the radiator outlet (bottom), passes through another in-line temp sensor and into the pump inlet
So in total I have 3 sensors monitoring water temps coming out of CPU, GPU and radiator and as of writing with 30C ambient my water temp is stable at 36C, at full load it could get to 45C. When I say ALMOST, there are a few things I still need to sort out
  1. Cutting the stock GPU bracket in half to have a single slot bracket
  2. Getting cables made for the 3x 8pin GPU - the stock cable is too long and too stiff to make it work, thus I'm not closing the right panel at the moment and just let it hanging all out so I can use my build
And a few more pics to show the dry fitting and all the clearance, I meant lack of clearance to be exact LOL

Here is my build, not yet completed but 99.99% there. Very glad that @riba2233 have designed such a great case to allow this build, but it can get better and I hope it will get better with time and more revisions. So here are my thoughts and suggestions for your considerations, of course it's all coming from my personal need and build but a few things I feel can be beneficial to many other people.

Let's begin! (from left to right and top to bottom)

1. To include more mounting holes for the motherboard to accommodate higher mounting position. It is absolutely necessary for mDTX to work with 360 radiator but could also be useful for ITX boards if users want to have other things in between
  2. To make the riser mounting holes not holes but rails / strips to enable absolute flexibility in terms of GPU clearance to the back radiator. I ended up not using my ugly hand drilled holes but still, would have been nice
  3. To make the PSU bracket thinner on the side, it collides with the framing around the on/off switch of my SX1000 in this particular orientation
  4. Make the piece on the back snappable as well. I was able to reclaim 2x USB ports by snapping off the bar there but the other 2 cannot
  5. Again, make mounting rails, not holes. I had to drill 2 holes to mount my pump-res combo at the perfect height to clear other component whilst still having enough clearance to the top panel for me to comfortable open it
  6. Again x2, make mounting rails, not holes. Could have easily stretch the bottom right holes into rail and a 3rd screw can be used
  7. Add some mounting rails to the SSD bracket, as illustrated, I can easily fit a standard 120mm 25mm thick fan when using SFX/SFX-L PSU to aid airflow into the PSU. I will do that for my build with double-sided tapes and pure pressure from my tubing run to the fan but proper screw mounting would have been really nice. It would also open up possibilities for mounting other stuff there too if users switch the PSU around and intake from the right/back side.
Cheers!!! 🥳🥳🥳

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Wow, that is a really impressive build, congrats and I know it is not easy at all!

Also thank you a lot for the feedback, I am mostly aware of these compromises, some can be tweaked but I will surely take them into account in the next revision and try to do my best :)

EDIT: And how are the temps BTW?

• Love

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@thelaughingman thanks a lot for your feedback. Your build is really interesting. It is true that my “mediocre” experience on cl530 and node 202, this case type is still under performing to my taste…this N-ATX is representing one of the most design.
My potential need of hype with atx mb might revive my interest in it.

@riba2233 what do you think of this feedback? I would love this gpu rail for absolute freedom to adjust whatever gpu thickness.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
@riba2233 what do you think of this feedback? I would love this gpu rail for absolute freedom to adjust whatever gpu thickness.
I agree, already implemented that feature in P-ATX V3. Also I have enlarged that rail in second N-ATX batch, so whoever got it after the first batch wil have some more flexibility. But V2 will certainly have infinite adjustment :)

• Love

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@riba2233 regarding other points from @thelaughingman.
I would agree that rails are better than holes.
Also PSU bracket is troublesome if it interfere with power button.

Do you think it is feasible?

Last point regarding SFX PSU : is it possible to position is just below side panel please?
Based on my CL530 gap between PSU and side panel will be full of hot air from GPU

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
EDIT: And how are the temps BTW?
my loop is not 100% bled and ambient temp is 34C without AC. I ran CB R23 + Timespy extreme at the same time for 15 mins and got the following results:
  • CPU 90C @190W and water 57C
  • GPU 74C @345W and water 60C
  • Water out of the rad at 56C
Right now water temp stays at 41C during light usage. It's a given water temp would never be as good as when it was open-air, the bottleneck see is the rad being slim (30mm). But it's perfectly fine for my usage as I will not be taxing CPU and GPU at 100% at the same time, so water temps around 45-50C is good.

@thelaughingman thanks a lot for your feedback. Your build is really interesting. It is true that my “mediocre” experience on cl530 and node 202, this case type is still under performing to my taste…this N-ATX is representing one of the most design.
My potential need of hype with atx mb might revive my interest in it.
I've inquired Riba in his own build thread about ATX board, heck E-ATX even. The must there is that you'll need to mount the GPU in the upper position and then create your own radiator mount at the right of the case

But V2 will certainly have infinite adjustment :)
that's what I love to hear!

Last point regarding SFX PSU : is it possible to position is just below side panel please?
you can orientate the PSU in different direction and position - fan facing the back and closer to that side panel was the first one I tried but then I settled on the current position knowing I will put a 120x25mm fan there to feed air to the PSU

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
you can orientate the PSU in different direction and position - fan facing the back and closer to that side panel was the first one I tried but then I settled on the current position knowing I will put a 120x25mm fan there to feed air to the PSU
Ok thanks for your feedback!
Basically SFX PSU can access fresh air from back of the case (not plain back panel on SFFTIME case)

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Ok thanks for your feedback!
Basically SFX PSU can access fresh air from back of the case (not plain back panel on SFFTIME case)
yes, and I haven't tried ATX PSU because I don't have one but I believe it is also the case - you can mount the PSU to get fresh intake from either side, the bracket mounting holes is flexible enough for it.

kami_sama

Trash Compacter
Dec 15, 2019
Looking right now at this case due to how bad the itx options for Alder Lake are.
matx are cheaper and with less cpu cooler issues.
Has anyone tried a 3080 tuf inside?

Reactions: riba2233