Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Me personally, ithink i'd like a reverse Oreo. (Dark center and light panels). But that's way done the road if you even do it. :)

Either way, I'm excited!!!

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I normally am partial to darker colours, but that light grey is super nifty, am getting early 80s Model F vibes!

Reactions: grsychckn

DSmithBYU

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
I vote Team Morton.

That said, I can live with the mid-March 2020 date. Enough time for me to decide my new GPU upgrade & DOOM Eternal.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
The gray looks great (retro is in lol) but I'm not sure the majority of your customers like it.

My thoughts exactly. At least the darker gray is so near black I think it could pass for black even when next to other black gear. That's why I think I'm going to choose the Morton ultimately, but maybe I can have a few made with the Cardinal. I may decide to open up pre-orders for the Cardinal color to see if there's enough interest to have them made. I might be interested in other colors as well but I might have to wait for the second round of fabrication depending on how well the S402 sells.

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
Will this support 1) a handle and 2) clear vented side panels as the S401 did?
Really looking forward to this, I'll purchase any color!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Will this support 1) a handle and 2) clear vented side panels as the S401 did?
Really looking forward to this, I'll purchase any color!

1. I'm working on a handle design.
2. Yes, I will have custom acrylic side panels like with the S401 but those won't be available until mid-late April when I move into my new house and can setup my laser cutter again.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update - Been looking at collecting a few HSF options to test with the S402 prototype when I receive it. I just made a massive Amazon order and in it I purchased the following coolers:

1. SilverStone SST-AR11 (47mm w/ fan)*
2. Cooler Master GeminII M4 (59mm w/ fan)
3. Cooler Master GeminII M5 (62mm w/ fan)*
4. Reeven Steropes (60mm w/ fan)
5. Thermalright AXP-100 All Copper (44mm w/o fan)*
6. Alpenfohn Black Ridge Low Profile (47mm w/ fan)

I also already own the following coolers:
1. Cryorig C7 Al and C7 Cu (47mm w/ fan)
2. ID-Cooling IS-60 (60mm w/ fan)
3. Pccooler V6 w/ 4 heatpipes (68mm w/ fan)
4. Big Shuriken 2, Rev B (57mm w/ fan)

I also purchased a number of PWM fans to test these coolers for cooler/fan combinations that might make them more efficient.
1. Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM
2. Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM
3. Noctua NF-A9 PWM chromax.Black.swap

Lastly, I purchased the ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming motherboard because it has the most restrictive CPU cooler area as well as the built-in IO rear cover (something that was not compatible with the S401). I plan on using this motherboard to test thermals on a 3950X if I manage to get my hands on one. I'd like to see the S402 be able to cool the 3950X without too much throttling. Given the volume of the chassis, my expectation is that it will throttle some but hopefully I can find an air cooler that will allow it to be usable. I'm expecting either the Black Ridge or the AXP-100 all copper to be the best cooler for the S402 among the ones above when paired with the appropriate fan but we'll see. I'm not a tech reviewer but do plan on putting some info together once I get the prototype for people to use as a basic staring point.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Update - Been looking at collecting a few HSF options to test with the S402 prototype when I receive it. I just made a massive Amazon order and in it I purchased the following coolers:

I also purchased a number of PWM fans to test these coolers for cooler/fan combinations that might make them more efficient.
1. Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM
2. Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM

Lastly, I purchased the ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming motherboard because it has the most restrictive CPU cooler area as well as the built-in IO rear cover (something that was not compatible with the S401). I plan on using this motherboard to test thermals on a 3950X if I manage to get my hands on one. I'd like to see the S402 be able to cool the 3950X without too much throttling. Given the volume of the chassis, my expectation is that it will throttle some but hopefully I can find an air cooler that will allow it to be usable. I'm expecting either the Black Ridge or the AXP-100 all copper to be the best cooler for the S402 among the ones above when paired with the appropriate fan but we'll see. I'm not a tech reviewer but do plan on putting some info together once I get the prototype for people to use as a basic staring point.
Not that you want more work to do.... But I could send you a black ridge also, and I have the updated v2 am4 bracket. :) (And I'm thinking of ordering the axp90 copper..... Maybe I could send that to you if you'd like. I do have a c7g also, but that might be going into a build soon if my water cooler mod doesn't work out)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Not that you want more work to do.... But I could send you a black ridge also, and I have the updated v2 am4 bracket. :) (And I'm thinking of ordering the axp90 copper..... Maybe I could send that to you if you'd like. I do have a c7g also, but that might be going into a build soon if my water cooler mod doesn't work out)

Thank you for offering, I'll keep it in mind. I think the coolers I have cover many of the options (at least in terms of fitment). If you decide you don't need that C7g, let me know.

wolverinelogan

Cable Smoosher
Sep 25, 2019

1. Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM
2. Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM

Why the AXP-100 without the fan? Shouldn't it fit with the fan? That is the cooler I have and I am hoping to use.

Thanks for all the updates, excited for the prototype! I hope you can get the handle design working.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Why the AXP-100 without the fan? Shouldn't it fit with the fan? That is the cooler I have and I am hoping to use.

Thanks for all the updates, excited for the prototype! I hope you can get the handle design working.

It should fit with the fan. The reason I listed it that way was because I intended (but forgot) to mention which fans I was going to try instead of the stock fans. That cooler is particularly interesting because I think a fan would fit both above and below the heatsink but I'm unsure how much benefit that would provide. Regardless, I'm wanting to get a 120mm Noctua mounted to it because it will provide great airflow while remaining fairly quiet.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
It should fit with the fan. The reason I listed it that way was because I intended (but forgot) to mention which fans I was going to try instead of the stock fans. That cooler is particularly interesting because I think a fan would fit both above and below the heatsink but I'm unsure how much benefit that would provide. Regardless, I'm wanting to get a 120mm Noctua mounted to it because it will provide great airflow while remaining fairly quiet.
You can potentially mod it to fit one underath, because there are support brackets that prevent a fan from fitting under the fin stack natively.

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019

1. Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM
2. Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM

Thanks for the update! This is awesome!
I got another question.
Is it possible for you to use a 1080TI or 2080TI for temp benchmarking?
I am curious about what GPU this thing can handle.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks for the update! This is awesome!
I got another question.
Is it possible for you to use a 1080TI or 2080TI for temp benchmarking?
I am curious about what GPU this thing can handle.
I don't have access to either of those GPUs. I do however have a Radeon VII stock that I plan on using as well as a 1660Ti from EVGA that is a 3-slot card. I *may* try to get another 3-slot card for test fitting/temp testing but it's going to come down to money as the RTX cards are pretty expensive to have for testing.

Reactions: snailonni

Cyamine

Minimal Tinkerer
Jul 23, 2019

1. Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM
2. Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM

Lastly, I purchased the ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming motherboard because it has the most restrictive CPU cooler area as well as the built-in IO rear cover (something that was not compatible with the S401).
In case (pun unintended) you manage to get the rest of the components before the prototype, could you check early which of these coolers are mechanically compatible with the motherboard, please? The number of low-profile coolers in its QVL is... rather limited, and there's barely any info online on whether this is due to physical restrictions or mere lack of testing. With such an extensive list, your findings would be very valuable!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
In case (pun unintended) you manage to get the rest of the components before the prototype, could you check early which of these coolers are mechanically compatible with the motherboard, please? The number of low-profile coolers in its QVL is... rather limited, and there's barely any info online on whether this is due to physical restrictions or mere lack of testing. With such an extensive list, your findings would be very valuable!
I'll post a message as soon as I can. Amazon has yet to ship the board out but it is expected to arrive by December 2nd. I imagine the problem is the IO shield in combination with the VRM heatsink but we'll find out.