Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
The handle might not have a great feel to it and if not, I'll probably go with option #2 which was to find some nylon straps similar to kayak handles and see if I can get those to work. The flexibility of those would be great for traveling and they would be more comfortable. I'm just a little worried about the construction and potential for failure.

I have screws that I can include with any orders that would allow for a thicker panel to be installed. I would ask you to contact me directly though if you are going to want these so that I can make a note on your order (when the S402 is available) and get them to you.
With the weight of the case and the components, I would say the weight distribution of the hexagonal S401 handle helps a lot. if you could maybe widen it in the center and plastisol your S402 concept handle, I think that would help while still being (hopefully) cheaper.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Do you have a rendering of S402 with GPU + 120 aio installed?
I don't have one ready but I'll get one next week for you. I'm out of town right now and don't have consistent time or access to my CAD workstation.

Reactions: Jerdz

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
I don't have one ready but I'll get one next week for you. I'm out of town right now and don't have consistent time or access to my CAD workstation.
No worries, thank you for your work. I'm very excited with this case--

Oh, to be specific, I'm planning to fit 1660 super strix with 243mm length and beside it a ROG Ryuo 120 aio with 120mm length. Thats a total of 363mm.
The case being 368.3mm in length, do you think
a) it would fit in the case with the mounts you setup by default or
b) do I need to drill and add a mount to the far right of the case for the AIO?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Hi
Is it still possible to buy a s401?
Sorry, for some reason I'm not getting notifications in my e-mail again when someone replies to this thread. Unfortunately, the S401 is no longer available and I have no plans to produce more. The S402 prototype has been promised to be ready for shipping to me by January 10 and should things go well with that, I will submit the order for 100 units to be produced 6-8 weeks later.

Reactions: Talyrius

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

Oh, to be specific, I'm planning to fit 1660 super strix with 243mm length and beside it a ROG Ryuo 120 aio with 120mm length. Thats a total of 363mm.
Just based on the numbers you've thrown out, I don't see how both of those can fit in the S402. I'm still working on getting those renders though and now that I know what specific AIO you're wanting to use, I might be able to get you some specific clearances for the GPU length. I'll try to get you an answer tomorrow afternoon.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Just based on the numbers you've thrown out, I don't see how both of those can fit in the S402. I'm still working on getting those renders though and now that I know what specific AIO you're wanting to use, I might be able to get you some specific clearances for the GPU length. I'll try to get you an answer tomorrow afternoon.
If possible, maybe you could make the mount for the aio on sliders/rails that way it would allow for minimal clearence differences. It might not gaurentee perfect fitment for @Jerdz, but it might help for some people, since not all aio's are the same, and maybe some horizontal movement would make something fit, where it might not have before. Just a thought, but it might not be possible with your current design, but thought it'd be worth a mention. :)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

Ok, below are renders based on the latest revision of the S402. Keep in mind that things are fairly static in terms of layout. I don't want to tweak too much of the layout or I will have to get a second prototype made, further delaying the S402 (by up to 2 months). As a result of the renders below, I realize the following changes will be investigated:

1. USB front panel mounts might be relocated near the PSU.
2. PSU mount will need to be moved closer to the "top" of the chassis to provide more clearance for 120mm radiator. A few mm should suffice.
3. Mounting holes for the drive bracket may need to be adjusted in order to allow the radiator to mount closer to the front face of the chassis.

The radiator model I'm using is not exactly the same size as the Asus Ryuo, with dimensions of:
156mm x 118mm x 30mm

The GPU model I'm using is ~172mm in length.

Due to mounting hole differences by manufacturer, I'm not entirely sure how differently the Ryuo would mount and consequently what additional GPU space it would allow. With the rendered radiator, the Available GPU length on the current S402 revision would at maximum be 189mm. It might be possible to rotate the radiator 90 degrees to provide more length on the GPU, but if it were me, I would opt for a short 3-slot GPU than a longer 2-slot GPU. Either way, I can't find enough free space to allow for a 243mm GPU in combination with a 120mm radiator. The overall length of the S402 (in the direction of GPU length, read: front to back) is only 325mm. The 1660 super strix in combination with the Ryuo is going to be over 363mm minimum.

Instead of the Strix version, I would recommend the shorter Phoenix 1660 Super version. At 174mm in length, it would provide a lot more tolerance for the 120 radiator.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
If possible, maybe you could make the mount for the aio on sliders/rails that way it would allow for minimal clearence differences. It might not gaurentee perfect fitment for @Jerdz, but it might help for some people, since not all aio's are the same, and maybe some horizontal movement would make something fit, where it might not have before. Just a thought, but it might not be possible with your current design, but thought it'd be worth a mention. :)

Thanks for the idea - great minds must think alike because that's exactly the reason why I eventually chose the slots over the hex pattern. I realized if I planned it carefully enough, I could manage to allow the vent pattern itself provide horizontal adjustments based on manufacturing differences.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
For people wondering, I would strongly recommend NOT getting an AIO where to tubes come directly out of the block. (Like the liquid freezer II) because it will be too hard of a turn to route tubes.

I second this, as I had a hell of a time cramming an EVGA CLC280 into my SM580 for the same reason.

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
Ok, below are renders based on the latest revision of the S402. Keep in mind that things are fairly static in terms of layout. I don't want to tweak too much of the layout or I will have to get a second prototype made, further delaying the S402 (by up to 2 months). As a result of the renders below, I realize the following changes will be investigated:

1. USB front panel mounts might be relocated near the PSU.
2. PSU mount will need to be moved closer to the "top" of the chassis to provide more clearance for 120mm radiator. A few mm should suffice.
3. Mounting holes for the drive bracket may need to be adjusted in order to allow the radiator to mount closer to the front face of the chassis.

The radiator model I'm using is not exactly the same size as the Asus Ryuo, with dimensions of:
156mm x 118mm x 30mm

The GPU model I'm using is ~172mm in length.

Due to mounting hole differences by manufacturer, I'm not entirely sure how differently the Ryuo would mount and consequently what additional GPU space it would allow. With the rendered radiator, the Available GPU length on the current S402 revision would at maximum be 189mm. It might be possible to rotate the radiator 90 degrees to provide more length on the GPU, but if it were me, I would opt for a short 3-slot GPU than a longer 2-slot GPU. Either way, I can't find enough free space to allow for a 243mm GPU in combination with a 120mm radiator. The overall length of the S402 (in the direction of GPU length, read: front to back) is only 325mm. The 1660 super strix in combination with the Ryuo is going to be over 363mm minimum.

Instead of the Strix version, I would recommend the shorter Phoenix 1660 Super version. At 174mm in length, it would provide a lot more tolerance for the 120 radiator.

Thanks for your suggestion, I understand. I don't want to mess with the design and prolong the release as well. I think I was crazy anyway; planning to pair a 1660 super with a 9900k.

I think I'm shifting the build to a full length GPU and an air cooled CPU, I found a new low profile cooler that is rated for 150w TDP which will release soon after CES 2020 (January 7).

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
The g200p is on AliExpress already. I haven't seen the g400p yet.

However, since CPU cooler height is going to be 60mm. The axp-100rh (or full copper) will probably be the best air cooler that will fit.(it's 58mm tall)

Reactions: Jerdz

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I'm excited about the prototype, it comes tomorrow/in a few days right?

Will it fit itx motherboards with integrated IO shields?

Yes and yes. I'm expecting the S402 prototype to arrive sometime next week. If that changes I'll post here. I moved the motherboard mounting holes father away from the rear IO cutout on the S402 to help with compatibility. I'm going to ensure that motherboards with the built-in IO shield will fit before I make the final production run.

mishmash

Trash Compacter
Jan 12, 2020
I'm planning my HTPC/server rebuild - will a 2060 mini at around 210mm long work with a 2.5 drive stacker?

The plan is to somehow cram a bifurcated riser with a 2060 + sata expansion card, and between 6-10x 2.5 SSDs into the case. Alternatively I might have to settle for 6x SSD and an Asus hyper M2 SSD card.

What would be interesting is to also have a utility expansion above the motherboard (similar to the silverstone ML06) so that additional LAN ports via a m2 e-key->mini-pcie card could be mounted up. But I think this would add unnecessary cost for something no one would use, so I might end up dremelling a utility slot myself.

Awesome case! Looking forward to seeing it in production.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I'm planning my HTPC/server rebuild - will a 2060 mini at around 210mm long work with a 2.5 drive stacker?

The plan is to somehow cram a bifurcated riser with a 2060 + sata expansion card, and between 6-10x 2.5 SSDs into the case. Alternatively I might have to settle for 6x SSD and an Asus hyper M2 SSD card.

What would be interesting is to also have a utility expansion above the motherboard (similar to the silverstone ML06) so that additional LAN ports via a m2 e-key->mini-pcie card could be mounted up. But I think this would add unnecessary cost for something no one would use, so I might end up dremelling a utility slot myself.

Awesome case! Looking forward to seeing it in production.

I don't have an exact answer to your question just yet. I should wait for the prototype to arrive before I can conclusively answer it. However, I can say it will be close and if there is enough room for the 2.5" drive stackers, you will be able to fit 6 x 2.5" x 7/9mm drives vertically with one stacker. That leaves the 2 x 2.5" x 7mm slots below the PSU for additional drives. Depending on how much clearance the SATA card allows, you might be able to fit in 5 x 2.5" x 7mm disks without the 2.5" stackers. There are 5 x 2.5" mounts built-in to the S402, two of which will only support 7mm-height drives. Basically, I would need to know the exact hardware you plan on using so I could try to figure out clearances.

As for the expansion over the motherboard, it's an interesting idea and probably do-able so long as the slot was half-height. The hardest part of designing cases for me is the expansion mounts for Add-In-Boards. Those pesky PCIe tabs are nearly impossible for a sheet metal fabricator to do well without specialized equipment or a higher failure rate due to how close the mounting holes are to the bend required. I probably won't implement this change to the first run of S402 units but I'll keep it in mind for any revisions that I may make. Thanks for the suggestion!