Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
If structurally & cost wise possible, I suggest to add additional exhaust holes at the back of the case (around the motherboard IO area). They help to release hot air lacking of / with minimum airflow.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
If structurally & cost wise possible, I suggest to add additional exhaust holes at the back of the case (around the motherboard IO area). They help to release hot air lacking of / with minimum airflow.
There's already ventilation on the top with room for exhaust fans

timolee

Efficiency Noob
Nov 28, 2019
I just posted a wall of text on what I thought was this thread, but it was the S401 thread. Basically, I think the direction the AIBs are taking is to support more 2.5+ slot designs. For whatever reason, there are significantly more options on the table for a user's GPU if they are not bound to a 2-slot design. I have no hard numbers but I would posit that the raw GPU options over 2-slots is greater than the number of "ITX / half length" GPUs on the market. This is just my experience but if true, it suggests that the market as a whole wants the larger cards and therefore, an SFF case that supports them would be desirable. Obviously this comes at the cost of the volume of the case (7mm increase in width from the S401). This increase though doesn't just benefit the GPU, but also the CPU cooler choices as well as potential space for AIO / custom loop coolers as well. Not to say I will be able to support all the above, but I think the key here is being wise with the additional space so that it is actually usable space for most customers and not just going to be empty on most builds. I want the S402 to be capable of housing the 3950X with 16-cores and a 3-slot GPU while perhaps adding 2 additional 2.5" drive mounts underneath the PSU. There is a balance though and I wouldn't want to turn people from this community away from the S402 because you all are the target audience. I'll be wracking my brain this next week to ensure I have something I feel is maximizing the new space of the S402 and hopefully you'll agree when I'm done.

@Reldey, I investigated that orientation and I might play around with it for the S402 because I do believe it would maximize the GPU area. My only problem with this great idea is the PCIe extension cable. The only places it could be routed would either be over the top of the mainboard/CPU or underneath. Of those two options, underneath is the clear choice which means though that the PCIe extender cable (and GPU) must be removed whenever maintenance must be done on the CPU cooler or m.2 drive. If I could overcome this problem I would have already drawn up plans for this design, but I think that single problem makes it difficult to implement. I really do like the idea though but I just haven't wrapped my head around a good solution for it.

Also, I created a Discord server and will be trying to be available on it regularly. The best times for me though would be after 8PM EST daily. The rest of my day is booked with family/work responsibilities. If I don't reply to a message immediately, be patient as I promise I will see it and reply when I have time.

Can I purchase the S402 without the PSU? I am looking at using the HDPLEX naoATX combo instead. Thanks.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Can I purchase the S402 without the PSU? I am looking at using the HDPLEX naoATX combo instead. Thanks.
The S402 will not come with a PSU. It will support SFX PSUs but the mounting bracket *should* be something you could modify to support HDPLEX PSUs.

Reactions: Jerdz

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I never understood these lol. What would the use case be for something like this? Like a lan party, or a tournament? (Just trying to understand :D)
Businesses use them to prevent hardware theft, many stores that sell PCs do as well. Just a security thing.

Reactions: grsychckn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I never understood these lol. What would the use case be for something like this? Like a lan party, or a tournament? (Just trying to understand :D)

Like.. Say you do a consulting job at client's office for a few days & you decided to leave your PC there throughout the duration.

Although.. This should be complemented with something like a screwless design or such. It's pointless to have a kensington lock when one can still unscrew the case & steal the drives, for example.

(Or in my case I'll probably steal the GPU LOL)

Last edited:

Talyrius

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2018
If the case/device is designed with these locks in mind, they can be implemented in such a way that it's impossible to open or disassemble them without first unlocking or physically damaging them.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Great. ?

Can you provide a Kensington Slot at the rear of the case for those who would need to secure it?
Below is the link about it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_Security_Slot

Interesting request. I could easily add this but the other points made here are very valid. The main vented side panel will be held on with 4 x #6-32 screws thus the bad actor would only need the corresponding tool to remove them and take the contents. Alternatively, perhaps there exist #6-32 security screws that you could purchase and replace the stock screws I will include. At least then it would require an uncommon tool to remove the screws.

I could also possibly incorporate the key slot along with some holes around the mainboard to kill two birds with one stone.

I'll look into both once I get the prototype.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Also, bad news: I didn't get the 3950X with the first wave of orders. Because we moved, my credit card was denied because the shipping address was different from the billing address.

So I put myself back to the end of the line and am currently waiting on ShopBLT to receive some more stock. Not sure if the 2700X of mine would suffice in testing temps, but it's all I have so I might have to use that if the prototype arrives before the 3950X.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Also, bad news: I didn't get the 3950X with the first wave of orders. Because we moved, my credit card was denied because the shipping address was different from the billing address.

So I put myself back to the end of the line and am currently waiting on ShopBLT to receive some more stock. Not sure if the 2700X of mine would suffice in testing temps, but it's all I have so I might have to use that if the prototype arrives before the 3950X.
The 2700X is a beast to cool overclocked. The 3950X by comparison uses less power per core (but more overall) because of the 7nm process.

Here are power specs for the 3950X at different loads, the 2700X is also on that same page. Yes, the 3950X uses more power at load, but overclocking the 2700X will get you in the neighborhood of a stock 3950X.

timolee

Efficiency Noob
Nov 28, 2019
Interesting request. I could easily add this but the other points made here are very valid. The main vented side panel will be held on with 4 x #6-32 screws thus the bad actor would only need the corresponding tool to remove them and take the contents. Alternatively, perhaps there exist #6-32 security screws that you could purchase and replace the stock screws I will include. At least then it would require an uncommon tool to remove the screws.

I could also possibly incorporate the key slot along with some holes around the mainboard to kill two birds with one stone.

I'll look into both once I get the prototype.

At least it will deter lift 'n' go thieves.

Reactions: Windfall

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I know it's been a while but I just got an update from the new fabricator and they have had to push the prototype date back, but promise it will be completed by January 10, 2020. There is a bit of a silver lining though as I'm able to continue working on some other projects that have consumed my time recently. I am now in beast-mode working on the S700 prototype Epyc build and finally have all the parts I think I'm going to need. I've been soldering tons to help keep the wiring down on the RGB front but there's still a lot to do. I purchased aftermarket DDR4 RGB kits for each of the 16 memory modules in the build and have cut and soldered each 4-pin RGB wire down to short nubbins of what they once were. I'm also had to buy a new DDC pump/reservoir combo and two new TR4 waterblocks because the RGB RAM kits have blocked alternative routes for the hard lines.

I also designed a VERY simple handle that I'm going to offer for the S402 but haven't decided yet if I'm going to include it in every purchase or make it an add-on. The add-on option would make it much more costly to produce since I wouldn't be making one for each chassis (probably ~$15/handle). If I do include it, it will increase the price of the chassis by about $10.

I also bought some 70mm PWM fans and I'm thinking of making them a $10 upgrade (with each chassis purchase) for a set of 3.

I'll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow of the prototype handle - don't expect much, but it will be functional.

Quick-Pic of rendered handle

Last edited:

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
I know it's been a while but I just got an update from the new fabricator and they have had to push the prototype date back, but promise it will be completed by January 10, 2020. There is a bit of a silver lining though as I'm able to continue working on some other projects that have consumed my time recently. I am now in beast-mode working on the S700 prototype Epyc build and finally have all the parts I think I'm going to need. I've been soldering tons to help keep the wiring down on the RGB front but there's still a lot to do. I purchased aftermarket DDR4 RGB kits for each of the 16 memory modules in the build and have cut and soldered each 4-pin RGB wire down to short nubbins of what they once were. I'm also had to buy a new DDC pump/reservoir combo and two new TR4 waterblocks because the RGB RAM kits have blocked alternative routes for the hard lines.

I also designed a VERY simple handle that I'm going to offer for the S402 but haven't decided yet if I'm going to include it in every purchase or make it an add-on. The add-on option would make it much more costly to produce since I wouldn't be making one for each chassis (probably ~$15/handle). If I do include it, it will increase the price of the chassis by about $10.

I also bought some 70mm PWM fans and I'm thinking of making them a $10 upgrade (with each chassis purchase) for a set of 3.

I'll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow of the prototype handle - don't expect much, but it will be functional.

Quick-Pic of rendered handle

I'd buy those with the handle and the fans! Won't that handle hurt a bit though-- the s401's handle looks like it would have a more comfortable grip.

Oh btw, you mentioned that the clear side panels won't be available till April-- are there screws included with the case that will support clear side panels if we decide to produce our own?

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I'd buy those with the handle and the fans! Won't that handle hurt a bit though-- the s401's handle looks like it would have a more comfortable grip.

Oh btw, you mentioned that the clear side panels won't be available till April-- are there screws included with the case that will support clear side panels if we decide to produce our own?

The handle might not have a great feel to it and if not, I'll probably go with option #2 which was to find some nylon straps similar to kayak handles and see if I can get those to work. The flexibility of those would be great for traveling and they would be more comfortable. I'm just a little worried about the construction and potential for failure.

I have screws that I can include with any orders that would allow for a thicker panel to be installed. I would ask you to contact me directly though if you are going to want these so that I can make a note on your order (when the S402 is available) and get them to you.

Reactions: Jerdz

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Also, the 3950X arrived today. Newegg had it for $899 list price but they are doing a strange thing where they applied a $150 discount after I checked out, but on the receipt they credited me $150 for the additional games & promotions. Regardless, I have the 3950X to test with. Now just waiting on the dang S402 prototype.