Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

Bowspin

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2019
Hi, I'm still hesitating between a lot of cases for a build I would make in january, If I'm looking for something easily transportable in a medium / large backpack for frequent flight travels would you recommend a s401 or a s402 (or is the 401 never going to be produced again?) I'm scared the 9L might be very tight in a backpack but I like the idea of extra space for airflow.

Reactions: grsychckn

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Hi, I'm still hesitating between a lot of cases for a build I would make in january, If I'm looking for something easily transportable in a medium / large backpack for frequent flight travels would you recommend a s401 or a s402 (or is the 401 never going to be produced again?) I'm scared the 9L might be very tight in a backpack but I like the idea of extra space for airflow.
The 401 is, at this point, no longer planning cto be produced. This is the upgraded version. For a slimmer option you could always go for a used sentry, or velka 5(not slimmer but much smaller @5.7l but it would require a little bit tamer of a system due to cooling clearences for GPU and CPU)

Bowspin

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2019
The 401 is, at this point, no longer planning cto be produced. This is the upgraded version. For a slimmer option you could always go for a used sentry, or velka 5(not slimmer but much smaller @5.7l but it would require a little bit tamer of a system due to cooling clearences for GPU and CPU)

thank you very much for the info, my other choices are on the console and the z-case p50 (respectively still in concept and not currently in production...) because I like the idea of a slim case. I still have one/two months to think about it anyway, but I feel like with sff cases you need to get the right production timing or you see the case of your dream fly away from reach haha

Reactions: Poblopuablo

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I would think optimum tech in YouTube and tekeverything on YouTube are good sources especially for the ITX space. Unfortunately I don't know how to contact them (I know Tek everything has a website: https://tekeverything.com/)

I second Optimum Tech, they have been growing their channel in the direction of SFF for a while.

As for contacts, maybe try their twitter? I know the small to midsized channels tend to be quite responsive on Twitter.

Perhaps Linus Tech Tips? I know people love to hate on them, but they do have a massive viewer base

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
thank you very much for the info, my other choices are on the console and the z-case p50 (respectively still in concept and not currently in production...) because I like the idea of a slim case. I still have one/two months to think about it anyway, but I feel like with sff cases you need to get the right production timing or you see the case of your dream fly away from reach haha
If you're really really space constrained and need something that fits in a backpack, you could try having a look at the Skyreach 4 Mini, it's a much more niche case but it might have the portability you're looking for (you will need DC power supplies and cooler and graphics choices are much more limited)

Bowspin

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2019
If you're really really space constrained and need something that fits in a backpack, you could try having a look at the Skyreach 4 Mini, it's a much more niche case but it might have the portability you're looking for (you will need DC power supplies and cooler and graphics choices are much more limited)

Thanks for the advice but honestly I think the s4M is too constraining considering the psu, gpu and cooling limitation, I don't think I will need something THAT small as I don't plan to take it up every week but more like 2~4 flights/train a year (but still want it to fit in a backpack as there's no freaking way I put something that expensive in a checked in luggage)

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

IMO the problem is not the thickness but the squarish shape. Kinda hard to find such backpack, at least in where I stay :)

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
IMO the problem is not the thickness but the squarish shape. Kinda hard to find such backpack, at least in where I stay :)
I think this backpack will be a good fit for this case, it also provide a solid protrction for it.
Everki Beacon Laptop Backpack with Gaming Console Sleeve, Fits up to 18-Inch (EKP117NBKCT)

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
Thanks for the advice but honestly I think the s4M is too constraining considering the psu, gpu and cooling limitation, I don't think I will need something THAT small as I don't plan to take it up every week but more like 2~4 flights/train a year (but still want it to fit in a backpack as there's no freaking way I put something that expensive in a checked in luggage)
It depends on what kind of cpu/graphic card you have/want to use. just be aware that smaller cases will mean worst heat compatibility, and lowerend graphic card. I have a 8700k and 1080ti, downgrading to a sff, i know sentry case cant handle it, hoping the s402 will do the job

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I think this backpack will be a good fit for this case, it also provide a solid protrction for it.
Everki Beacon Laptop Backpack with Gaming Console Sleeve, Fits up to 18-Inch (EKP117NBKCT)

LOL I'm quite skinny, nowhere as fit as the model in the website. Genetics, I guess.

But those are pretty nice backpacks, and some of the models are reasonably priced.

Piewalker

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
I just had a crazy thought, if you were to watercool the GPU and thus only need to take up one PCIe slot, there looks to be enough room at the GPU area to put a slim radiator and 15mm fan (XPSC TX series radiator + Noctua A12x15 fans will only take up 36mm thick and allow plenty of clearance for the fans to breathe)

If only the case was long enough to fit a 360mm rad lengthwise (its only juuuust too short ?)

I actually did that in the S401 earlier this year. See here

and my write-up w/temp benchmarks here:

Granted, that was a 2700X build. Now I have a 3900X, which runs up to 10C hotter.

I show photos of a 280mm radiator on top of the case here. And although I didn't take a photo of the 280 mm rad fitting inside the case, I did indeed do that and found the 280mm will barely fit in the S401 if the backside is cut out, but it will most certainly be a better fit in the S402:

Reactions: Jerdz and grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Sorry for not being available - I was out of town all weekend and just now trying to catch up on correspondence. I managed to put in a visit this weekend to the new fabricator and I paid them in full for 1 prototype + 100 units of the S402. They hadn't started the countdown to producing them until they received payment which means we are still 4-6 weeks out for the prototype and another 4-6 weeks after that for the production run if the prototype requires little/no changes.

@Bowspin
The S402 is highly unlikely to be ready by January. The fabrication manager tried to temper my expectations for an early-mid March completion date for the run of 100 units. This is unfortunate for us all but I will reiterate that their prices are good and they are a shop that specializes in electronic enclosures (have a full QA department as well). I'm confident that they will make the S402 exactly to my specs so the only one to blame for mistakes is going to be me.

Thanks @ignsvn, @Piewalker, and @Poblopuablo for providing some answers while I was away.

I also picked up two color samples that I like for the S402. There is a light gray fine texture and a dark gray fine texture that I'll try to take a photo of and post here (and on the Discord server) for feedback. Although I don't think the light gray will be the favorite, I like it enough that I'm thinking of having the prototype painted in that color even if I don't get the rest painted that color. It's different and I like that about it.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Below is the sample of the two grays. I can always opt for the fine texture black if neither of the grays are preferred. Give me some feedback.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Sorry for not being available - I was out of town all weekend and just now trying to catch up on correspondence. I managed to put in a visit this weekend to the new fabricator and I paid them in full for 1 prototype + 100 units of the S402. They hadn't started the countdown to producing them until they received payment which means we are still 4-6 weeks out for the prototype and another 4-6 weeks after that for the production run if the prototype requires little/no changes.

@Bowspin
The S402 is highly unlikely to be ready by January. The fabrication manager tried to temper my expectations for an early-mid March completion date for the run of 100 units. This is unfortunate for us all but I will reiterate that their prices are good and they are a shop that specializes in electronic enclosures (have a full QA department as well). I'm confident that they will make the S402 exactly to my specs so the only one to blame for mistakes is going to be me.

Thanks @ignsvn, @Piewalker, and @Poblopuablo for providing some answers while I was away.

I also picked up two color samples that I like for the S402. There is a light gray fine texture and a dark gray fine texture that I'll try to take a photo of and post here (and on the Discord server) for feedback. Although I don't think the light gray will be the favorite, I like it enough that I'm thinking of having the prototype painted in that color even if I don't get the rest painted that color. It's different and I like that about it.

Awesome news! Even if you do have some on a shelf for a while, I'm certain that they'll all sell soon enough. It must be great, having a fabricator that specialized so close by. I dream of being able to walk in and face-to-face discuss things, and good prices would be just icing on the cake at that point.

Below is the sample of the two grays. I can always opt for the fine texture black if neither of the grays are preferred. Give me some feedback.

Yes, I think that's good.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Idk if it's possible, but it may be nice if you can get most of the prototype in the Cardinal, but maybe the rear back panel in Morton. Just an idea. :)

Everything looks awesome!!

Edit, if you got both side panels in the Morton you'd have one Oreo looking case ;p

Edit2 I'm not saying you should necessarily run production on dual tone colors I just meant it as a joke. ;) It would be cool to see, but I think it's more of a pain than it's worth since most people like something simple(on the outside, but then they go balls to the walls on the inside.... Talking to you @Piewalker ;p)

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Idk if it's possible, but it may be nice if you can get most of the prototype in the Cardinal, but maybe the rear back panel in Morton. Just an idea. :)

EDIT: Removed weird double quote.

Two tone red/dark grey would be great!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Edit, if you got both side panels in the Morton you'd have one Oreo looking case ;p

Edit2 I'm not saying you should necessarily run production on dual tone colors I just meant it as a joke. ;) It would be cool to see, but I think it's more of a pain than it's worth since most people like something simple(on the outside, but then they go balls to the walls on the inside.... Talking to you @Piewalker ;p)

I think various flavors of "oreo" S402's would be great!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I'm leaning hard towards the prototype being done in Cardinal and then on the production run doing the Morton because it's more palatable for most customers. I do like the idea of an Oreo version though. I might discuss the option of painting a few in alternate colors. I can't promise that this will happen as it comes down to cost, but I'll keep everyone updated.