Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Wether or not it would really make a difference I do not know, but theoretically, does the hole spacing on the back of the case support 120mm fans? And if so, could one put a slim 120mm fan behind a 2 slot graphics card? Perhaps not directly behind the gpu (since the pcie riser would be blocking it, but perhaps further towards the front, where the button is) for exhaust? Again, idk if this would do anything at all, but just a thought that comes to mind. ;D
... I'm always thinking of odd things/configurations, wether supported or not, wether they are practical or just theoretical. The mind of one with ADD doesn't stop. lol. :D

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Wether or not it would really make a difference I do not know, but theoretically, does the hole spacing on the back of the case support 120mm fans? And if so, could one put a slim 120mm fan behind a 2 slot graphics card? Perhaps not directly behind the gpu (since the pcie riser would be blocking it, but perhaps further towards the front, where the button is) for exhaust? Again, idk if this would do anything at all, but just a thought that comes to mind. ;D
... I'm always thinking of odd things/configurations, wether supported or not, wether they are practical or just theoretical. The mind of one with ADD doesn't stop. lol. :D

Yes, and you should be able to install 2 x 120mm slim fans on the backside of a 2-slot GPU.

Edit: I'm thinking of including some silicone fan mounts with the S402 as I'm a little concerned that normal fan screws might damage the finish on the chassis/panels.

Reactions: Jerdz

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
Looks like Sliger has entered the console-style SFF case business with the introduction of the CONSOLE and CONSWOLE cases. With their pricing and feature set, it appears the S402 will not have a very distinct place in the market anymore. While some may view this as a bad thing, it's absolutely fantastic that a larger manufacturer is able to lower the prices and increase availability of these cases. This was my goal but at my low volumes, I cannot compete with their CONSOLE case at $150. I'm not sure I can even compete with the CONSWOLE at $199. Fortunately, I'm in a good position because of my delays since I haven't committed to any manufacturing I might be able to stay on the sideline should I choose to do so. The real factor in my decision is going to be seeing their prototype for the CONSWOLE as it would be a direct competitor for the S402 and I no longer sell the S401 (CONSOLE). Their target date for availability is before black Friday which I cannot match either so their units will be on the market first.

All that said, I think the S402 will have enough distinct features that I'm still moving down the path of having one run made. Most likely though, I will not make more than one set as I don't expect them to sell well with competition coming from such a large player. Should I decide to cancel the production of the S402, I'll post here first, but that will allow me to focus on other projects like the S600.

Finally, my plan now is to finish the drawings and models of the S402 to submit one last time to the fabricators and see what they come back with. I may have to contract a minimum of 50 units to have the prototype made so it won't be cheap on my wallet, but until they (Sliger) post pictures of the CONSWOLE, I'm moving forward as if they aren't producing a product.
Hi there, here are some of my perspectives. ?
I would love to see s402 have at least one run, since It seems like the smallest console size case with no compromise. (best air cooling solution in small console size I think)
When I say compromise, I did not only mean the size of the graphic cards but also considering the performance it can handle. As far as I know, Dr. Zabre sentry 2.0, despite its wonderful advertisement, can not handle the heat produced by 1080ti. The nicely added fans in the s402 give me hope that it can handle even the 2080ti. Also, the enlarged hight allowed more powerful CPU fans/cooler to be inserted, for someone who will travel on air with this pc in the future, it gives me hope to handle my 8700k though air-cooling(although I may need to delid and such)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Hi there, here are some of my perspectives. ?
I would love to see s402 have at least one run, since It seems like the smallest console size case with no compromise. (best air cooling solution in small console size I think)
When I say compromise, I did not only mean the size of the graphic cards but also considering the performance it can handle. As far as I know, Dr. Zabre sentry 2.0, despite its wonderful advertisement, can not handle the heat produced by 1080ti. The nicely added fans in the s402 give me hope that it can handle even the 2080ti. Also, the enlarged hight allowed more powerful CPU fans/cooler to be inserted, for someone who will travel on air with this pc in the future, it gives me hope to handle my 8700k though air-cooling(although I may need to delid and such)
TBH I kind of worry about the airflow on their new chassis as well. Perhaps they have found an efficient design but to me the vent to surface ratio seems like it would be small and thus restrict the airflow. Don't get me wrong though - I want them to succeed and sell tons of their cases because it means progress for the SFF community as a new widely-available and affordable quality solution would be made.

I am kind of hoping that my case breathes better though and as a result will perform better for enthusiasts. We'll find out as I've gotten one of the two RFQ's back from the fabricators and hopefully will get the other one back in the next few days. Unfortunately this means I probably won't have the production units until early next year but this all depends on the fabricator's backlog and if they will finish them by year's end or not. Last I knew, they each had a 4-6 week backlog for both the prototype and production runs.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Just a friendly advice: don't give up so easily.

Sliger may probably flood the market with similar cases. However, I believe your products may still have their own niche market, because.. well even if function wise they're all very similar, small minor things can be a distinguishing factor; for example aesthetic & design.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I've decided on a fabricator and will be submitting the purchase order by the end of this week. Their current lead time for the prototype is 6 weeks so I'm going to have to wait. The good news is that their quote is extremely competitive so I expect this new fabricator to help me reduce my costs significantly (maybe I'll actually make a profit this time). The timeline for the S402 has been delayed somewhat as a result of using this fabricator and my late changes to the design but assuming I won't need major alterations after the prototype we're looking at early 2020 for availability.

The 6 week gap is going to provide me with some much needed time to get moved from my current home into a rental unit while we wait for our new home to be built. Additionally, I want to finish the S700 prototype #2 build with the 2 x Epyc 7551 CPUs (32-cores each) as I've now received my motherboard back from Supermicro's RMA department.

tifaff

Average Stuffer
May 8, 2019
hi

can you make an update for this questions and how will be in the end?

2. USB Front Panel. Type C support or no?
3. 60x25mm upper fan support worth .3L of volume?
4. 2.5/3-slot GPU support?
5. 59mm CPU cooler support?
6. #4 and #5 not important? then would it make sense to keep the dimensions of the S401 and make this a simple revision?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I'll update it now - the front USB is still unsettled, but since I cannot find a source for the same adapters I used on the S400 and S401 I'm probably going to be forced to drop support unless I have only 1 type C on the front and no type A's.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
US $21.42 15%OFF | ULT-Best USB 3.0 Front Panel Bracket Motherboard 20 pin to USB 3.0 + Type-C Port HUB Adapter Cable for 2.5" Floppy Drive

US $12.96 20%OFF | LBSC USB Type-C floppy drive front panel USB3.0 AF+C female computer expansion

[$570 for 30 = $19each] US $570.00 5%OFF | (30 pieces/lot) USB 3.0 Type-A & USB 3.1 Type-C USB-C Dual Port to Motherboard 20Pin Front Panel for 3.5" Inch Floppy Bay

*[Cheapest option I could find without cable] US $12.88 20%OFF | LBSC USB Type-C floppy drive front panel USB3.0 AF+C female computer expansion

*[Cheapest option I could find with cable] US $16.88 | Great-Q USB 3.0 Type-A & USB 3.1 Type-C USB-C Dual Port to Motherboard 20Pin Front Panel for 3.5" Floppy Bay

* Just because it's the cheapest individual doesn't mean it would be the best price bulk

Maybe you can get bulk discount on one/some of these?

If you buy a bunch they may even be able to sell them w/o the metal chassis (save on cost and shipping), just a thought. :)

Edit: some do not come with a internal usb3.0 cable... But you could order those seperatly potentially (either stateside or overseas). Also I cannot attest to the quality of these, but I thought I'd share because the PCB is similar to ones you've used previously.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
US $21.42 15%OFF | ULT-Best USB 3.0 Front Panel Bracket Motherboard 20 pin to USB 3.0 + Type-C Port HUB Adapter Cable for 2.5" Floppy Drive

US $12.96 20%OFF | LBSC USB Type-C floppy drive front panel USB3.0 AF+C female computer expansion

[$570 for 30 = $19each] US $570.00 5%OFF | (30 pieces/lot) USB 3.0 Type-A & USB 3.1 Type-C USB-C Dual Port to Motherboard 20Pin Front Panel for 3.5" Inch Floppy Bay

*[Cheapest option I could find without cable] US $12.88 20%OFF | LBSC USB Type-C floppy drive front panel USB3.0 AF+C female computer expansion

*[Cheapest option I could find with cable] US $16.88 | Great-Q USB 3.0 Type-A & USB 3.1 Type-C USB-C Dual Port to Motherboard 20Pin Front Panel for 3.5" Floppy Bay

* Just because it's the cheapest individual doesn't mean it would be the best price bulk

Maybe you can get bulk discount on one/some of these?

If you buy a bunch they may even be able to sell them w/o the metal chassis (save on cost and shipping), just a thought. :)

Edit: some do not come with a internal usb3.0 cable... But you could order those seperatly potentially (either stateside or overseas). Also I cannot attest to the quality of these, but I thought I'd share because the PCB is similar to ones you've used previously.

This is fantastic information. I searched before on Alibaba/Express and only found a few of these to be available. My previous source informed me that they were no longer being produced but I'm going to reach out to a few of these and see if I can't find a new source that will work. Other than the price difference between these and the dual Type A units are the additional mounts I have to include on the main chassis and the delicate capacitors that tend to break during shipping.

It seems the inclusion of Type C on the front panel is highly desirable so I'll see what I can do. Regardless, I have to get the final designs submitted by the end of the week to the fabricator so this decision will be made in the next day or two.

Reactions: Piewalker

Piewalker

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
Other than the price difference between these and the dual Type A units are the additional mounts I have to include on the main chassis and the delicate capacitors that tend to break during shipping.

Yep, I've had to re-solder two of my Type-C/A units (I have 3 S401s). And that was a pain in the ass but both work now. Those capacitors are VERY delicate.

It seems the inclusion of Type C on the front panel is highly desirable so I'll see what I can do. Regardless, I have to get the final designs submitted by the end of the week to the fabricator so this decision will be made in the next day or two.

I agree - USB-C is highly desirable as I explained on Discord just now. Here's the discussion:

@Heiyi "currently there is almost no usbc gadget to use." Umm, dead wrong. EVERYTHING is shifting to USB-C now - it's taken awhile but THE SHIFT IS HAPPENING NOW. On the Android side, many flagship phones use USB-C on the device itself. Apple iPhone Pros come with USB-C. WHAT ELSE? Well well well ... "The Surface Pro 7. The Kindle Fire HD 10. The PlayStation 5. All major gadgets announced or detailed this week, each with a bevy of enhancements. But more important than any of those flagship products on its own is the fact that together they embraced something their predecessors did not: USB-C.

You know USB-C. If you own a premium Android smartphone, chances are you’re already using it. But its ubiquity otherwise has been slow in coming. WIRED and others first anointed USB-C as “the port of the future” in 2015, when Apple’s entry-level, 12-inch MacBook introduced it to the masses. That's well over four years ago, a long time in the tech world—so long, in fact, that said MacBook has since been discontinued.

Now, though, USB-C has claimed its rightful place. “USB-C has become the industry standard for about every personal computing and connectivity device,” says Patrick Moorhead, founder of Moor Insights & Strategy. That "about" includes some notable exceptions—the iPhone, mostly—but otherwise, including USB-C has finally become the default.

The reason for USB-C's ascent is simple: It’s just better. It can charge both ways, letting you use a laptop to power your smartphone, for instance. It can also charge fast, pumping 18 watts to your device to get you from empty to 80 percent full in only an hour. It can transfer data at blistering speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second—and eventually much faster, as Intel’s Thunderbolt protocol converges with USB4. It can power video to external displays. And it’s reversible, meaning it works whichever way you plug it in.

"The shift is happening."

DINESH KITHANY, IHS MARKIT"

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
So, looks like the USB decision has been made (for now). I'm moving forward with the dual Type-A interfaces on the front. I reached out to vendors on AliExpress and of the 2 that responded, 1 said the item is no longer available and 1 wanted to sell me on a single Type-C interface.

This seems to reinforce the idea that those boards are no longer being manufactured. Of course, I could be wrong but at least this allows me to move forward with the Type-A interfaces on the front and I don't have to modify the design.

Speaking of which, the latest designs have been submitted to the fabricator with a PO and I will be paying for the entire run of 100 units next week. If the prototype comes back (in about 6 weeks) with little to no modifications necessary, I expect the production run to be completed around mid-late January as their lead time for production and prototyping is 6 weeks each.

That is assuming no major problems or further delays

For those wanting dual Type-C interfaces on the front, something like this would be a good option
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_9,searchweb201603_52

Perhaps not ideal, but the USB protocol will be 3.1 through the Type-A interfaces so they will be 100% compatible with devices using a physical Type-C interface. You can also buy a Type-A to Type-C cable for things like phones, etc.

An important note here is that USB 3.1 is the same regardless of physical interface (A/B/C/etc.).

The more expensive adapters that included a Type-C interface like those used on the S400 and S401 did not include an external power source so they would not be able to provide additional power for external devices like phones (for fast charging). This means the only difference as I can tell is the physical interface which can be easily overcome by an adapter.

Should there be a problem with the prototype, I can change the front panel USB interfaces but it will delay the production of the case by 6 weeks or so to get the new prototype made.

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
I wish you the absolute best mate! I advise that you to update the OP with... well, all the details, as it is missing a lot. I am personally lost as to what is the finalised design, specs and expected price. I haven't followed this thread for a long while by now.