Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

thekatrin

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2019
You could maybe go for a silver finish (akin to the dan a4). Prismatic powders has a bunch of cheap stuff. I've also seen polls and apparently black/white colored stuff is on a 50/50 split when people can choose on the same product, and a bias towards black when its a bunch of different products.

Theres a poll on reddit about this topic here

Also do you happen to know what the weight of the case will be in a ballpark range?

Last edited:
Reactions: grsychckn

HZCH

Trash Compacter
Jul 21, 2018
I just stumbled on this thread to say that I might consider buying your S402 to replace my Ncase M1, because desk real estate is crazy in my place, and I'm finally financially stable (ie. I won't be any more because of SFF reasons).
I'm gonna read every posts, but the S402 pretty much would become the perfect case IMHO ?
Thank you !

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
You could maybe go for a silver finish (akin to the dan a4). Prismatic powders has a bunch of cheap stuff. I've also seen polls and apparently black/white colored stuff is on a 50/50 split when people can choose on the same product, and a bias towards black when its a bunch of different products.

Theres a poll on reddit about this topic here

Also do you happen to know what the weight of the case will be in a ballpark range?
I took a look at that and it's definitely helpful to me. I would consider offering multiple colors but only if I decide to produce 100 units or more. Black is desired twice as often as white so I would consider a ratio of 2:3 white:black.

The other interesting thing of note in that survey is that gray is not listed at all so there's no reference for comparison using a gray like what I want and their data which excludes gray as an option. Most likely, gray was excluded either because of an oversight or because it represents a wide variety of hues as they can vary from dark to light and is thus more subjective. Regardless, I'm still moving forward with the prototype to be make with the gray color I want for no other reason than it's mine. :)

Thanks for the link and info though - it's very useful.

Reactions: thekatrin

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
O man, I am so excited about this case!
Is it possible to mount the foot on both of the side panels? or is it only available in one direction?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
O man, I am so excited about this case!
Is it possible to mount the foot on both of the side panels? or is it only available in one direction?
You mean you want to be able to install feet while it's oriented horizontally? With 2 extra stands the S401 could be elevated off the surface if you mounted all 4 stands to the chassis. I'm thinking I might change the design or make new stands for horizontal configurations. You won't need new mounting locations in a horizontal orientation, but you might need 2 additional stands (if that makes sense).

Reactions: snailonni

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
You mean you want to be able to install feet while it's oriented horizontally? With 2 extra stands the S401 could be elevated off the surface if you mounted all 4 stands to the chassis. I'm thinking I might change the design or make new stands for horizontal configurations. You won't need new mounting locations in a horizontal orientation, but you might need 2 additional stands (if that makes sense).
Yes, I am planning to use it horizontally like a console, under a monitor riser.
In case anyone is curious, here's the link of riser I am considering using:

It does make sense how 4 s401 stands together will make it elevate, but I am a little concerned with the aesthetic of it, and clearance issue(since my monitor riser only have 4-inch clearance ).

If you could design some type of horizontal stand,(like add extra metal piece on corners) that would be great! But since it is a minor issue, if this adds a lot of time and cost for the production process, I rather have it the way it is and buy some cheap rubber stand and tape them on the side panel XD.

But thanks for answering my question!

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Yes, I am planning to use it horizontally like a console, under a monitor riser.
In case anyone is curious, here's the link of riser I am considering using:

It does make sense how 4 s401 stands together will make it elevate, but I am a little concerned with the aesthetic of it, and clearance issue(since my monitor riser only have 4-inch clearance ).

If you could design some type of horizontal stand,(like add extra metal piece on corners) that would be great! But since it is a minor issue, if this adds a lot of time and cost for the production process, I rather have it the way it is and buy some cheap rubber stand and tape them on the side panel XD.

But thanks for answering my question!
Something like this with VHB tape would work quite well (offering 20mm of height)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
How are things going? ^-^

Things are going very slowly. We just had the pictures taken of our house today and it gets listed Thursday. Tomorrow, I'm going to find the host for the giveaway and set that up for my final S401 chassis. Then I'm going to move onto the S402 models and drawings for the machine shop to get my final round of quotes. I contracted someone who has helped me with some important suggestions regarding ways I can simplify/help the fabricators as well as make accurate flat patterns should I get the correct information from the shops. That would mean I *should* be able to simply deliver the drawings and a flat pattern and they can bend it up to my specs.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Good Morning! I don't mean to rush you at all and I understand you have a lot going on currently, but do you have an updated timeline or schedule?
Thanks!
My current timeline is still targeting late fall or the end of the year. A lot of the timeline depends on the fabricator I choose as their backlogs vary from 4-6 weeks for the prototype and similar for the production run. It's very likely that I will not have access to much of my equipment or space as I could be floating around in different homes until our new house is ready for delivery. Their current promise is December 1 but I suspect that will slide towards the end of the year which means I probably don't want the final units produced until I have a good place to store and have space to begin working on assembly. Sorry for not having a better answer but there's just a lot going on right now with too many variables to give definitive dates.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
its a dream a case like this but with side panels remove without screws?

I might just include thumbscrews by default this time around as the screws I've been using are quite expensive and then I don't have to worry about including them with any custom side panel purchases.

Short answer though is yes - the mounting screws for the side panels are #6-32 so you can even buy your own fasteners if you like.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

scub4st3v3

Trash Compacter
May 4, 2017
I might just include thumbscrews by default this time around as the screws I've been using are quite expensive and then I don't have to worry about including them with any custom side panel purchases.

Short answer though is yes - the mounting screws for the side panels are #6-32 so you can even buy your own fasteners if you like.

I think the poster was talking about ball and joint attachment points (lian li style) instead of screws.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
exactly, is it posible?

Unfortunately, this is not a possibility for the fabricators I've worked with. I'd have to find the proper fasteners to use and update the design to support both the ball and the clip mounting points before I could request the shops to install them (which they might not). Also, if I go this route, I wouldn't be able to make the custom acrylic side panels (of which I've sold a decent amount). Since I'm still in the design phase of the S600, I will look into some pressure-release clips for that unit and if successful, I will try to incorporate that into the next revision of the S402.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Unfortunately, this is not a possibility for the fabricators I've worked with. I'd have to find the proper fasteners to use and update the design to support both the ball and the clip mounting points before I could request the shops to install them (which they might not). Also, if I go this route, I wouldn't be able to make the custom acrylic side panels (of which I've sold a decent amount). Since I'm still in the design phase of the S600, I will look into some pressure-release clips for that unit and if successful, I will try to incorporate that into the next revision of the S402.

There was a thread around here somewhere where I had asked about those and got some answers, will find it and link it here.

EDIT: Here you are, Necre linked some stuff: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/regarding-tooless-panels.8804/