Rumor Possibility of AMD on STX form factor

There are so many frieds discussed about AMD solution on STX form factor.
I told Crew ASRock had one AMD FM2+ 5x5 board....
Let me show off one board I found on my boss's table.

We did a very very quick research during CNY.
AMD 2200G box fan is so high that can't be installed into our chassis.
BUT... how about install CPU fan and heatsink separately? HAHAHA...

Only for fun :D

cebali

Cable Smoosher
Jan 9, 2019
deskmini A300
Nice. My question is: does the Ryzen boxed cooler with the shroud removed fit in the case?

I checked Japanese prices out of curiosity. They range from $170-$180, but the sites specify that it's the Japanese version with the cooler included. So I guess without the cooler there's a good chance of ~$150 which is a bargain.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I can get the boards direct from AsRock if anyone would be interested in placing a bulk order @ MOQ 500 ;)

0_o

Ask for an evaluation sample.

Actually, I designed a fanless case. How good it is, I don't know. I'll have to get a board and test it.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I can get the boards direct from AsRock if anyone would be interested in placing a bulk order @ MOQ 500 ;)

This is interesting...

What kind of pricing are you figuring...?

What accessories would this include...?

Would this include the 120W external power brick...?

What about the option of having the DC changed to an internal 4-pin connector, for use with the HDPlex 160W AC-DC unit...?

Might ASRock be open to providing a BIOS that allows X300 activity...?

I am interested...!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
This is interesting...

What about the option of having the DC changed to an internal 4-pin connector, for use with the HDPlex 160W AC-DC unit...?

I am interested...!

My Sentiments exactly.

Also make the IO lower profile.

But the MOQ is probably higher for modified boards...

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
This is interesting...

I am interested...!

Quote was for 66 USD a board but only includes the SATA cables and I/O shield. Personally I think this board would be amazing with an HDPlex 160W AC-DC inside a single enclosure (ie. effectively brickless). I did enquire about this as well as a better I/O (adding two USB to the rear panel and getting rid of the VGA port) and was told it is possible but I would need to order 50K boards (lol).

As a solution I was thinking that we could bulk order some 160W AC-DC units to go with these that had a barrel connector you could just loop out the back. Case + Board + AC-DC as a barebones anyone?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Quote was for 66 USD a board but only includes the SATA cables and I/O shield. Personally I think this board would be amazing with an HDPlex 160W AC-DC inside a single enclosure (ie. effectively brickless). I did enquire about this as well as a better I/O (adding two USB to the rear panel and getting rid of the VGA port) and was told it is possible but I would need to order 50K boards (lol).

As a solution I was thinking that we could bulk order some 160W AC-DC units to go with these that had a barrel connector you could just loop out the back. Case + Board + AC-DC as a barebones anyone?

That would be AWESOME, but I'd use an HDPlex 80W with mine and underclock the CPU.

Then my HTPC Micro would live!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
This is interesting...

I am interested...!

66 bucks sounds great; I am down for one, 499 to go...?!?

VGA is an easy removal...

The dual USB 2.0 cable they offer can give more rear USB I/O...?

I guess I could mod the DC in; it shouldn't be that hard, should it...?

Anything towards a X300 BIOS from ASRock...?

I really want to put a 2400G under water & see what some snappy (for SO-DIMMs) DDR4-3200/16 RAM & overclocking can do...

And then start working on a physical prototype for a custom chassis...

Last edited:

Brian_Buckley

Trash Compacter
Sep 26, 2017
Curious how that compares to the normal price once you buy a 3rd party power brick for it. I'm personally interested in doing a custom case which is why this sounds pretty appealing but I'd probably still do it with a brick.

Quote was for 66 USD a board but only includes the SATA cables and I/O shield.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yep. You can buy them from Japan but it is quite expensive (180 USD + Shipping). Literally just bought one this minute and looking forward to pairing it with a 2400G to see what it can do.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Curious how that compares to the normal price once you buy a 3rd party power brick for it. I'm personally interested in doing a custom case which is why this sounds pretty appealing but I'd probably still do it with a brick.

Showing "Sold Out" right now, but the HDPlex 160W AC-DC is listed at 55 bucks...

That is the internal brick that fit within my chassis dimensional constraints...

Yep. You can buy them from Japan but it is quite expensive (180 USD + Shipping). Literally just bought one this minute and looking forward to pairing it with a 2400G to see what it can do.

What RAM are you getting, & please confirm / test the RAM allocation; manual states 2GB default setting (most of the BIOS I have seen for AM4 ITX defaults @ 256MB & caps at 2GB) & up to 16GB if you have 32GB of system RAM installed...? Would be interesting to see what the 16GB G.Skill kit (2 @ 8GB DDR4-3200/16) can do with 4 to 8GB allocated to the GPU...?

Man, I cannot wait to see some 7nm chiplet APUs in the future...!

Reactions: Jello

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Showing "Sold Out" right now, but the HDPlex 160W AC-DC is listed at 55 bucks...

That is the internal brick that fit within my chassis dimensional constraints...

I have a couple of spares at my place as well as a couple of HDPlex 80W units, so I'll be using one of them. Planning to buy a 16GB HyperX kit @ 3200 MHz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jello and Boil