Rumor Possibility of AMD on STX form factor

There are so many frieds discussed about AMD solution on STX form factor.
I told Crew ASRock had one AMD FM2+ 5x5 board....
Let me show off one board I found on my boss's table.

We did a very very quick research during CNY.
AMD 2200G box fan is so high that can't be installed into our chassis.
BUT... how about install CPU fan and heatsink separately? HAHAHA...

Only for fun :D

Scott

Caliper Novice
Nov 29, 2016
Reactions: aquelito

Scott

Caliper Novice
Nov 29, 2016
When you look at the product page, they have a graphic claiming (OC) 3200+ mem speed. If A300 is locked?

It is my understanding that the A300 chipset only locks CPU overclocking. It still allows for memory overclocking. I did a little digging on the subject when I found out this was not going to be the X300 chipset.

Also, it is my understanding that anything over JEDEC standards is technically an overclock, which is why chipsets will only "officially support" 2600 or 2933 MHz, but actually allow for and be stable at higher clocks.

Reactions: Phuncz

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
So... If there is no actual chipset, then is it a BIOS setting that makes it A300 rather than X300...?

Because X300 would allow overclocking of the 2400G, whereas A300 does not...

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
From r/Amd:
While X/A 300 are an impressive technical feat of being not so much a true chipset but more of a physical routing point to connect components on the board to the internal controllers on the ZEN(+) Die directly, they would require a complete from-scratch design to do so, and require a VERY differently written Bios to basically every single Board that comes with a traditional Chipset.
Sums it up pretty well. I guess that the difference between A300 and X300 relies in a Bios lock. That being said, the Deskmini A300 power delivery circuit is not suited for OCing, but maybe they enabled Memory OCing to a certain limit.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
From r/Amd:

Sums it up pretty well. I guess that the difference between A300 and X300 relies in a Bios lock. That being said, the Deskmini A300 power delivery circuit is not suited for OCing, but maybe they enabled Memory OCing to a certain limit.

Damnit, now I want a non-existent X300 version of this as-yet-released barebones...

No, actually I want a motherboard-only X300M-STX, with factory modification for using a HDPlex 160W AC-DC, extra power to overclock the Vega 11...?

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I hope the bios allows undervolting and memory tuning/oc.

My 3rd wish would have been unlocked multiplier but if it can undervolt and tune/oc memory then I'd tolerate its absence.

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
We don't have an official date ? Just february ?
I want to game a bit :/

Also we have rumours about the new console apu, it looks good (zen 2 and navi 10 lite), i hope we'll get some big desktop apu

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I hope the bios allows undervolting and memory tuning/oc.

My 3rd wish would have been unlocked multiplier but if it can undervolt and tune/oc memory then I'd tolerate its absence.

I hope we can get an unlocked bios at some point then, because all the videos I am watching indicate that the Vega 11 can be boosted a good bit...!

And with the ability to dedicate up to 16GB of system memory to the graphics subsystem, it will be like a mini Radeon VII...! ;^p

Yep, according to the manual for the A300M-STX motherboard, the default shared memory for the GPU starts at 2GB & goes up to 16GB (with 32GB of system memory installed), most bios' I have seen for AM4 ITX start at 256MB & top out at 2GB...

This thing goes right past 11 & straight to 16...!!!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I envision...

Custom chassis (in the design stage)...

X300M-STX motherboard
HDPlex 160W AC-DC internal PSU
Ryzen 5 APU (8C/16T, 20CU Navi)
Custom loop water cooling for APU (full-size intake fan (filtered), full-size exhaust fan, thick radiator, pump/APU water block combo)
64GB (2 @ 32GB SO-DIMMs) DDR4-3200/14 RAM
Two 1TB M.2 NVMe SSDs (Boot, RAID 1)
Two 2TB 2.5" SATA III SSDs (Storage, RAID 0)

5 liters (including 10mm feet 'bounding box' volume)...

Mini workstation...!

Reactions: jujudk

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Samsung is making 32GB DDR4-2666 SO-DIMMs; probably what Apple is using in the new Mac minis, no idea what the CAS is; maybe they could manage 2933/16 sticks for Ryzen...?

But if G.Skill could manage some Samsung B-die 32GB 3200/14 SO-DIMMS, that would be great...!