Rumor Possibility of AMD on STX form factor

There are so many frieds discussed about AMD solution on STX form factor.
I told Crew ASRock had one AMD FM2+ 5x5 board....
Let me show off one board I found on my boss's table.

We did a very very quick research during CNY.
AMD 2200G box fan is so high that can't be installed into our chassis.
BUT... how about install CPU fan and heatsink separately? HAHAHA...

Only for fun :D

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
It depends on the speed of the ram you use with the 2400G - With fast ram it trades blows with the GT1030. Which games or applications you're interested in is a big deal too, because on some games the GT1030 is way ahead and vice versa. On others they may be neck-in-neck. Overall the GT1030 probably has a small advantage across a larger selection of games.

Very true. Reportedly next-gen intel iGPUs will be on par with vega 11, and maybe we'll get a T version!

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
150 bucks is nuts, you can put a Athlon 200GE, 2x4GB RAM, low end 480GB 2.5" SATA SSD, each 50 bucks, you end up with a 300 USD low end super tiny gaming capable machine. But if you want to give it to a kid for playing older games? Perfect.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
RAM is where one wants to dump their shekels for this rig, faster RAM means faster graphics...

And since the CPU & GPU share the system memory, I would go for nothing less than 16GB...

Reactions: Windfall

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Do we know how much ram tweaking the bios allows on this? At least primary timings and voltage controls hopefully. More is better of course.

Either way it’s tempting to get one to play with.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The B-Die at CAS 16 is 16-16-16-36. I think that kit is Hynix. I really bought these to see what the platform can do at its absolute maximum with minimal possibility of a kit that can't top out at 3200 with tight timings. I am also hoping version 2.0 of this board will take faster RAM (3600MHz) with support for Ryzen 2 APUs which makes this an investment (right?).

Reactions: Boil

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for sharing... here's the TL;DW
1) No CPU/GPU overlcocking in BIOS - functions are there but grayed out/don't stick, maybe future BIOS update???
2) Able to overclock his 2400MHz ram to 3000MHz in BIOS!
3) Wraith Stealth doesn't fit - he didn't try to remove the shroud though!
4) Noctua L9 fits great and performs great
5) Optional add-on accessory to add an additional two USB3 ports to side of case
6) Nice looking heatsink built in for VRMs
7) Additional M.2 port on back (two M.2 storage + M.2 BT/WiFi)

Reactions: dealda

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Really hope they address the BIOS for CPU/GPU OC. Could you not use something like Wattman to do this?

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 29, 2019
Well, the A300 chipset is the budget locked chipset, AMD does have X300 which has all of the same hardware features as A300 but is unlocked. I have a feeling it is just a bios thing, because it would be really expensive to produce to different silicon parts to differentiate only between locked/unlocked. So maybe Asrock could release a bios update. It could also have to do with the vrm and or the supplied ac adapter not being stable with higher power draw.

Brian_Buckley

Trash Compacter
Sep 26, 2017
It could also have to do with the vrm and or the supplied ac adapter not being stable with higher power draw.
Exactly what I was wondering too. Would be interesting to see someone look at the thermals and power draw currently at full load without the OC to see what kind of headroom there would be.

peak_mu

Caliper Novice
Mar 3, 2019
Hi guys,

Longtime on/off lurker, just registered. The Deskmini A300 was the product that I had been waiting on to finally downsize from my current system. I just got it this past Friday, and have been playing with it over the weekend.

My build:
Ryzen 2400g
Noctua NH-L9a
G.Skill 3200/CL16, F4-3200C16D-16GRS
Intel 9260 wireless

I ordered from Newegg USA, and it came with both the cooler and the wireless kit. I replaced the included 3168 wireless card with the 9260 because my AP supports the newer protocols, and it's only $15 from amazon.

I was aiming for a very quiet build, but I found the included cooler too loud for my tastes, especially since it was going to be sitting next to me on my desk.

I was able to make the Wraith Stealth cooler fit, but that required not only removing the top cover, but also further trimming the shroud on the right side (looking at it from behind). It was definitely a tight fit, and required flexing the case a little bit to get it to clear some of the tabs on the case. The shroud does touch the case once you manage to squeeze it in there. While it was quieter than the included cooler, I still thought it was too loud and got the Noctua. That finally knocked the noise down to where it's essentially silent. I don't really notice it unless I am trying to listen for it, and it is sitting just a foot away from me.

I'm using the LNA, and temps seem good I think? I'm not fully up to speed on the current state of overclocking, etc. Using the Aida64 stress test, I'm getting CPU temp 60C, and Diode temp 76C. This was after ~20 mins to let things stabilize. I don't know which temp I should be using to judge cooler effectiveness. Probably the diode temp?

For the memory, all I did was enable the XMP profile in the bios and it worked at advertised speed/timings and passed memtest. Thaiphoon Burner reports it as B-Die which was a surprise to me. The last I looked into it, I thought only 3200/CL14 was B-Die

As for power, I don't have anything to measure it with, but I'm curious so please let me know if anyone has a recommendation for good quality one.

I just realized I wrote a wall of text...hopefully at least some of that will be useful!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
G.Skill 3200/CL16, F4-3200C16D-16GRS

For the memory, all I did was enable the XMP profile in the bios and it worked at advertised speed/timings and passed memtest. Thaiphoon Burner reports it as B-Die which was a surprise to me. The last I looked into it, I thought only 3200/CL14 was B-Die

Interesting...

Hey @Kmpkt , any thoughts to the validity of this as actual B-die...?