Rumor Possibility of AMD on STX form factor

There are so many frieds discussed about AMD solution on STX form factor.
I told Crew ASRock had one AMD FM2+ 5x5 board....
Let me show off one board I found on my boss's table.

We did a very very quick research during CNY.
AMD 2200G box fan is so high that can't be installed into our chassis.
BUT... how about install CPU fan and heatsink separately? HAHAHA...

Only for fun :D

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
50K is to get a custom board done. You'd be able to pick IO and stuff for that price. I think it's kind of their "piss off" price as it would require significant cost etc. to redesign the board to spec.

Removing the VGA should be a simple de-solder...

Changing the DC barrel to an internal 4-pin for the HDPlex 160W AC-DC should be a simple de-solder of the existing part & re-solder the new part...?

The ugly part is the various extension cables (USB-C & USB-A from the front i/o, dual USB 2.0 from the motherboard header, audio i/o both from front & from motherboard header); but these cables would allow more rear i/o without custom work on the PCB itself...

So the real changes from ASRock would be deleting the VGA & changing the DC-in...?

Reactions: Scott

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Would they need to re-run the FCC/etc certifications if they changed the type of connector their using for power delivery? I ask from a place of almost complete ignorance on what goes into FCC / UL / etc certifications.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Would they need to re-run the FCC/etc certifications if they changed the type of connector their using for power delivery? I ask from a place of almost complete ignorance on what goes into FCC / UL / etc certifications.

Only if they hadn't done something similar before. At my work we purposely reuse designs because they don't need to be recertified. If we can show it is the same then we just pay the fee and move on with our lives. Actually getting a design certified is a lot of work though for something new and can take up to 6 months for it to process (longest I've ever seen was 8 months, reusing a certified design knocks it down to a few weeks).

Dippy

Case Bender
Feb 20, 2019
I'm excited for this! I'm hoping the Canadian pricing isnt too awful. I know I got it confirmed that Newegg.ca is carrying it. And its sound like Monday (25th) is potentially the day its available for North America. Also first post, glad I finally joined.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm excited for this! I'm hoping the Canadian pricing isnt too awful. I know I got it confirmed that Newegg.ca is carrying it. And its sound like Monday (25th) is potentially the day its available for North America. Also first post, glad I finally joined

Looks like ordering one from Japan last week was a very bad decision : (

Reactions: Windfall

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 29, 2019
I had been told the 25th as well, from Asrock themselves, but as of 2PM central it is still not up on newegg.

Reactions: Dippy

Dippy

Case Bender
Feb 20, 2019
Maybe they're waiting for the very last hour of the day in the latest timezone North America has to offer?

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 29, 2019
Maybe they're waiting for the very last hour of the day in the latest timezone North America has to offer?
Well they are California based so, its 5:30 PM their time. Still not up. Looking back at Asrocks reply it does say "around" the 25th. I figured that meant the 25th but I cant say officially, but now I guess it means sometime this week. (hopefully)

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Hmm...

One of the pics on Newegg shows the ASRock CPU cooler & WiFi accessories, but the included contents list does not have either on it...

Regardless, I will pull the trigger on one of these next week, along with a Ryzen 5 2400G APU, 16GB of G.Skill DDR4-3200/16 RAM (2 @ 8GB SO-DIMMs), a 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD, & a Noctua NH-L9a AM4 CPU cooler...!

Reactions: cebali and rfarmer

cebali

Cable Smoosher
Jan 9, 2019
Hmm...

One of the pics on Newegg shows the ASRock CPU cooler & WiFi accessories, but the included contents list does not have either on it...

Regardless, I will pull the trigger on one of these next week, along with a Ryzen 5 2400G APU, 16GB of G.Skill DDR4-3200/16 RAM (2 @ 8GB SO-DIMMs), a 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD, & a Noctua NH-L9a AM4 CPU cooler...!
I'm thinking of something like that too, but in order for it to be as quiet as possible, I was thinking about removing the 92mm fan from the heatsink and fixing a 120mm fan on the inner wall of the case somehow, if it fits of course...

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I'm thinking of something like that too, but in order for it to be as quiet as possible, I was thinking about removing the 92mm fan from the heatsink and fixing a 120mm fan on the inner wall of the case somehow, if it fits of course...

My quick breakdown on CPU coolers for the A300...

There is a possibility we could get the ASRock CPU cooler, but not certain (see my post above)...

The Ryzen APUs come with a Wraith Stealth CPU cooler, which is supposed to fit if one removes the outer fan shroud...

Either of the two above have 25mm thick fans, so swapping in a NF-A12x25 PWM would be the ticket...

But keep in mind the fan hub is larger on a 120mm fan, so more of a "dead spot" over the heat sink...?

If going for a 120mm fan with the Noctua NH-L9a AM4, one would need to use a slim fan (NF-A12x15 PWM), but this would leave about a 7mm (or so) gap between the fan & the heat sink, which may not be optimal...

All that said, now I might need to add a NF-A12x15 PWM & a NF-A12x25 PWM to my Newegg cart for testing purposes (but zero promises)...

Reactions: cebali

cebali

Cable Smoosher
Jan 9, 2019
My quick breakdown on CPU coolers for the A300...

There is a possibility we could get the ASRock CPU cooler, but not certain (see my post above)...

The Ryzen APUs come with a Wraith Stealth CPU cooler, which is supposed to fit if one removes the outer fan shroud...

Either of the two above have 25mm thick fans, so swapping in a NF-A12x25 PWM would be the ticket...

But keep in mind the fan hub is larger on a 120mm fan, so more of a "dead spot" over the heat sink...?

If going for a 120mm fan with the Noctua NH-L9a AM4, one would need to use a slim fan (NF-A12x15 PWM), but this would leave about a 7mm (or so) gap between the fan & the heat sink, which may not be optimal...

All that said, now I might need to add a NF-A12x15 PWM & a NF-A12x25 PWM to my Newegg cart for testing purposes (but zero promises)...
Oooh, that would be cool if you would test the 120mm fans too. In this video the 120mm fan does prove to be better and there's also a gap between it and the heatsink...

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Ordered along with 3800 MHz B-Die RAM kit (yes I know 3200 MHz is the limit on this board)!

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
It depends on the speed of the ram you use with the 2400G - With fast ram it trades blows with the GT1030. Which games or applications you're interested in is a big deal too, because on some games the GT1030 is way ahead and vice versa. On others they may be neck-in-neck. Overall the GT1030 probably has a small advantage across a larger selection of games.

Last edited: