GPU Official GeForce RTX 30 Series "Founders Edition" Dimensions

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
All those reviews remind me Pascal ones back to 2016...it's urgent to wait for RTX 3080 ti...and also RX6900.
I'm expecting a tremendous 2021 year for GPU market!

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Yeah, I also can't wait for big navi :)

Given the absurd power budget for 3080....I'm thinking of waiting and seeing if Big Navi delivers, and if AMD has fixed the diaster of their drivers since the last time I had a card named Radeon (ironically, that was a Radeon 6970).

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Given the absurd power budget for 3080....I'm thinking of waiting and seeing if Big Navi delivers, and if AMD has fixed the diaster of their drivers since the last time I had a card named Radeon (ironically, that was a Radeon 6970).
Personally Pascal gpu (and failure of vega 56/64) made switch to Nvidia. I was almost fully AMD after my gtx 285 3-way SLI..:)
I never experienced big issues with my AMD drivers.

Digital foundry measures frame/watt performance...from Nvidia gpu but also 5700xt...and if 50% performance per watt for rdna 2 is achieved, we could have big surprise on optimised titles for AMD (i’m betting that big navi should beat RTX 3080 on titles like doom)....but let’s see!

Reactions: rfarmer

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Personally Pascal gpu (and failure of vega 56/64) made switch to Nvidia. I was almost fully AMD after my gtx 285 3-way SLI..:)
I never experienced big issues with my AMD drivers.

Digital foundry measures frame/watt performance...from Nvidia gpu but also 5700xt...and if 50% performance per watt for rdna 2 is achieved, we could have big surprise on optimised titles for AMD (i’m betting that big navi should beat RTX 3080 on titles like doom)....but let’s see!

Used to run Arch Linux all the time for all things with Team Green. Radeon drivers were why I quit using Linux.

With hope in my heart I got a Radeon, Eyefinity was the New Shiney and I was going to try it. Was a full 6+ months after retail availability in brick/mortar of the cards. Booted up my system....and no Xorg. No GUI at all. Duh. Oh, I must not have drivers....tried both the FOSS and proprietary drivers; wiped my XOrg config along the way. Was told my card was not compatible with the drivers. Did some digging....and AMD released those 6000-series Radeons without a driver of any kind for them on Linux. AMD had 6 months+ and there was no working driver to even get a basic XOrg GUI out of that card, I could understand a stripped-down basic driver---but nothing at all??!

Yea. I was ticked. IIRC I got that card out of NewEgg, who right around that time were falsifying RMA-claims against buyers LGA-socket motherboard buyers (they got a class-action lawsuit for doing that)...I didn't try fighting an RMA and set aside Linux for a long while.

Timothy

Caliper Novice
Aug 18, 2020
I would like to see the 12-pin to 2x8-pin cable bundled with the 3080 to have a long 'tail' with 2 short 'arms' (ie the one on the right) for easier cable hiding and management.

This would definitely be nicer. I wonder if the adapter is so short to save money or if there was some other reason.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I did a quick survey of some 9 reviews and found the 'load temp' reported as (77, 76, 76, 79, 76, 77, 79, 81, 78) and I averaged it to be 78C (I am ignoring the ambient temp as many reviews do not report it. And, most reviews use either an open test bench or a mid/full tower). I also noted that this 78C max temp is seemingly with Nvidia stock fan curve. This means, it is about 60% fan speed (from my impression). One reviews said if the fan is at 100%, max temp is down to 58C. Of course, the good thermal comes at the expense of bad acoustics.

From this, I am quite impressed that the new and rather odd design of thermal solution is quite effective to handle 320W. With this so-called 'flow through' design, I reckon it really resembles a tower cooler lying on its side as air can pass through easily and directly those dense fins.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Here is first review of a RTX 3080 FE in a sandwich style SFF case : in NZXT H1 :

As expected, it's a massacre : FE RTX 3080 becomes very hot (87°C) and starts throttling.

What is sure is that RTX 3080 is really a power angry card, way more than RTX 2080 ti.

Used to run Arch Linux all the time for all things with Team Green. Radeon drivers were why I quit using Linux.

With hope in my heart I got a Radeon, Eyefinity was the New Shiney and I was going to try it. Was a full 6+ months after retail availability in brick/mortar of the cards. Booted up my system....and no Xorg. No GUI at all. Duh. Oh, I must not have drivers....tried both the FOSS and proprietary drivers; wiped my XOrg config along the way. Was told my card was not compatible with the drivers. Did some digging....and AMD released those 6000-series Radeons without a driver of any kind for them on Linux. AMD had 6 months+ and there was no working driver to even get a basic XOrg GUI out of that card, I could understand a stripped-down basic driver---but nothing at all??!

Yea. I was ticked. IIRC I got that card out of NewEgg, who right around that time were falsifying RMA-claims against buyers LGA-socket motherboard buyers (they got a class-action lawsuit for doing that)...I didn't try fighting an RMA and set aside Linux for a long while.
Well Linux support for gpu drivers is a shame from both companies, AMD and Nvidia.
But AMD struggled even more with later GPU generation as it was a true disrupt vs GCN. Even on windows, AMD experiences major issues.

In near future we should see new GPU architecture with chiplet design and those should led again to drivers issues.

Regarding potential of big navi I'm referring to this table of frames per watt :

On Doom eternal :
RX 5700 XT : 3,161 frames/watt
RTX 3080 FE : 2,479 frames/watt

The only "IF" condition for big navi is this statement : RDNA 2 is 50% more efficient that RDNA 1...that could led big navi around 1,58 watt/frame...but there are so many factors that could destroy this efficiency.
Last time AMD was proud of its efficiceny they launched RX480...commercial success, but leaving Nvidia alone on higher end of the market

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Here is first review of a RTX 3080 FE in a sandwich style SFF case : in NZXT H1 :

As expected, it's a massacre : FE RTX 3080 becomes very hot (87°C) and starts throttling.

What is sure is that RTX 3080 is really a power angry card, way more than RTX 2080 ti.

Well Linux support for gpu drivers is a shame from both companies, AMD and Nvidia.
But AMD struggled even more with later GPU generation as it was a true disrupt vs GCN. Even on windows, AMD experiences major issues.

In near future we should see new GPU architecture with chiplet design and those should led again to drivers issues.

Regarding potential of big navi I'm referring to this table of frames per watt :

On Doom eternal :
RX 5700 XT : 3,161 frames/watt
RTX 3080 FE : 2,479 frames/watt

The only "IF" condition for big navi is this statement : RDNA 2 is 50% more efficient that RDNA 1...that could led big navi around 1,58 watt/frame...but there are so many factors that could destroy this efficiency.
Last time AMD was proud of its efficiceny they launched RX480...commercial success, but leaving Nvidia alone on higher end of the market
One thing to remember is the 3080 FE is partially a blower card and blower cards perform badly in the H1, not being able to effectively exhaust the heat through the enclosed opening at the bottom. I think the FE will perform better in a conventional sandwich case.

wzhalex

Trash Compacter
Jul 22, 2020
anybody got one today? sold out so fast I kept refreshing the page only to see it soldout instantly......

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I am pretty sure was a paper lunch then. Refreshed the Italian, Belgian, and Danish website.

All the 3 has passed from "Available from the 17/9/2020" to "nothing more and than "out of stock".

Basically, they never had them!

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I am pretty sure was a paper lunch then. Refreshed the Italian, Belgian, and Danish website.

All the 3 has passed from "Available from the 17/9/2020" to "nothing more and than "out of stock".

Basically, they never had them!

There was basically no stock. Moore's Law is Dead had a theory that went like this:

Nvidia never wanted to sell the FE cards anyway. They're loss-leaders. The cooler, alone, costs a mint to manufacture. They can't make money on them at that price point. Ergo....they're teasing people into paying the scarcity-pricing for AIB cards that cost more money.

Which is very cynical...and probably very accurate.

Minimal stock combined with bots/scripts buying the cards for mining means nothing for anyone else. I'll admit the cards look cool--in the hands of reviewers who are probably the only people to get them.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Here is pretty interesting video about AMD CPU paired with RTX 3080 at 1440p and 4K

Lesson learned? my R7 1700X is completely OK to be paired with RTX 3080 at 4K...:D No need of Intel core i9 10900K overclocked at 5ghz...that COULD BE only useful for ultra fast 1080p monitor...:D

Reactions: Timothy

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Here is pretty interesting video about AMD CPU paired with RTX 3080 at 1440p and 4K

Lesson learned? my R7 1700X is completely OK to be paired with RTX 3080 at 4K...:D No need of Intel core i9 10900K overclocked at 5ghz...that COULD BE only useful for ultra fast 1080p monitor...:D

After this launch....I'm kind of drooling for the new AMD CPUs coming. They should make that gaming delta even less at lower res.

Since they already have 8/16 parts at '65W' in massive finger quotes, I wonder if they'll be able to get 10/20 at that.

MEGATAMA

Chassis Packer
Sep 7, 2020
There is no date when Asus Strix will be available and everithyng in Germany is sould out so i ordered this one,i hope it will go along with my Sliger SM560...

Reactions: rfarmer and wzhalex

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
First review of EVGA XC3...:D

How does it performed? Well it's Jay2cents...a lot of blabla...not a lot of numbers...:D
It seems definitely quieter than FE version at very similar performance.

Reactions: Timothy and rfarmer