GPU Official GeForce RTX 30 Series "Founders Edition" Dimensions

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I'm so glad that I designed the P-ATX with those extra perforations on the back, I didn't think that many GPU's will have this kind of airflow at the time (although I had saphirre fury some time before that) but I always thought that this was the most logical way to do GPU cooling, so I'm glad that they went that route. After all, they had to cool 320W with 2 slot reference height cooler.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
What is the difference between Nvidia FE cards and Reference design cards?

The Founders Edition cards have a PCB with a triangular section cut out of it for the cooler.

The reference design is a more regular rectangular PCB as shown in this TweakTown article:

Reactions: tinyitx

Nicholas Chapman

Cable Smoosher
Jul 12, 2020
I see EKWB now has water blocks available for the reference boards (which they point out are not the ones used for the Founders Edition cards):

EKWB dimensions for the 3080 / 3090 reference waterblock are 230x124x16.5mm - so smaller than the 2080Ti reference waterblock in every dimension. Looks very promising.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Be Quiet uses 12pins connectors on their Straight Power 11 series (and maybe other). At the moment, it provides 12pins to 2x 8pins, but maybe it'll have a 12pins to 12pins optional cable...

Just a public service announcement: the 12-pin connector seems to be a Molex Micro-Fit, NOT the Molex Mini-Fit Jr that most connectors on a modern PC and PSU use.
So be mindful that the currently available 12-pin Molex connectors (and pins) at mod component shops are probably not the correct ones.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Just a public service announcement: the 12-pin connector seems to be a Molex Micro-Fit, NOT the Molex Mini-Fit Jr that most connectors on a modern PC and PSU use.
So be mindful that the currently available 12-pin Molex connectors (and pins) at mod component shops are probably not the correct ones.
Let’s wait true official support of this 12 pin’s connector.
To be honest, I’m thrilled with this Ampere line up...quite unexpected after a boring Turing series...:)

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well RTX 3080 FE should fit SM550 as there is no solid panel between GPU and PSU.
Simple question : will hot exhausted air from RTX 3080 kill PSU (psu fan oriented toward GPU)?
My psu will be sx800 lti.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Well RTX 3080 FE should fit SM550 as there is no solid panel between GPU and PSU.
Simple question : will hot exhausted air from RTX 3080 kill PSU (psu fan oriented toward GPU)?

Kill it? Not in the short term, for long term it depends on how hot the intake air is. Silverstone rates that unit for rated 100% output at 40C. And it is going to be spinning up that fan as well.

c12

Cable Smoosher
Jun 25, 2020
EKWB dimensions for the 3080 / 3090 reference waterblock are 230x124x16.5mm - so smaller than the 2080Ti reference waterblock in every dimension. Looks very promising.
Yea, I am excited for this.
2080ti waterblock dimensions for reference: 282 x 127.6 x 16.6

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

This is a good video for general information on the 3000 series. He talks about the 12 pin PSU connector, the difference between a reference PCB and the FE PCB and what that means for water blocks and the impact of PCI 4.0 vs PCI 3.0.

Reactions: Phuncz

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I'm so glad that I designed the P-ATX with those extra perforations on the back, I didn't think that many GPU's will have this kind of airflow at the time (although I had saphirre fury some time before that) but I always thought that this was the most logical way to do GPU cooling, so I'm glad that they went that route. After all, they had to cool 320W with 2 slot reference height cooler.
The P-ATX along with the Cons(w)ole and the S402/S403 are all cases where the FE cards will work perfectly. They'll take air in one side and exhaust it out the other.

Reactions: riba2233

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
According to https://rog.asus.com/articles/gamin...-geforce-rtx-3070-rtx-3080-rtx-3090-rog-asus/ ASUS is planning to introduce blower style cards specifically for SFF builds. Yay!
Probably Asus will bundle earmuff with such a card? I bet it is only for 3070 and it will still be a loud card.

For SFF cases, a good consideration would be those cards with dual fan design (vs 3-fan design). For 3-fan cards, the card is always long to accommodate the 3 fans. Therefore, as the heatsink fins have to run perpendicular to the heatpipes, this fin orientation will exhaust the hot air along the top and bottom lengths of the card. This means, all hot exhaust is dumped inside the case.
However, for a 2-fan card, the card is usually shorter and taller. This dictates the fin orientation to be in such way that half of the hot air is exhausted out via the rear (!) and the other half is exhausted via the card's front. I reckon, this is a big advantage for SFF case as 50% (a significant chunk) is expelled directly out of the case. Of course, due to TDP, 2-fan cards are limited to 3070 (so far as I have seen). Asus, Zotac and MSI all have this variant.

Reactions: rfarmer

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Kill it? Not in the short term, for long term it depends on how hot the intake air is. Silverstone rates that unit for rated 100% output at 40C. And it is going to be spinning up that fan as well.

I already lost PSU due to too high ambiant temperature...I know it's a very bad idea to exhaust hot air to PSU intake fan..:D

Anyway after additionnal researchs, a new contender should be compatible with SM550/sandwich case : EVGA XC3 series, 11,2" long, approx 2 slots card...to be confirmed...Cherry on the top? this XC3 models is for RTX 3090, 3080 & 3070.

Let's wait & see for in depth reviews..:)

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I already lost PSU due to too high ambiant temperature...I know it's a very bad idea to exhaust hot air to PSU intake fan..:D

Anyway after additionnal researchs, a new contender should be compatible with SM550/sandwich case : EVGA XC3 series, 11,2" long, approx 2 slots card...to be confirmed...Cherry on the top? this XC3 models is for RTX 3090, 3080 & 3070.

Let's wait & see for in depth reviews..:)

I'm kind of settled on a 3080...but having inverted mini-tower layout I'm not as fussed by the new cooler design. Hopefully card reviews appear before the silicon is up for sale