NFC S4 Mini : Enthousiast version (Core i7 6700K + R9 Nano)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, well, I've just test successfully to undervolt R9Nano (playing with powerlimit AMD overdrive for each game), and also adjust fan speed management.

For example, on armored warfare, at stock, I'm reaching 79°C with fan speed of 56%. Now, with same details (1440p ultra, SMAA), same fps (60), I've managed to keep same performance with power limit set to -25%. As a direct consequence fan speed is now only 41% and temperature 72°C.

This is a very encouraging start..:)

Reactions: Soul_Est and MrTiny

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, well, trial is still on going...but here is what I'm planning.

Finally it seems possible to put my S4 mini as a gaming pc directly in the living room, especially after I'll receive my SF600 (normally today).

I tried again horizontal orientation, but it's quite a failure. R9 nano is getting overheated really quickly, whereas in vertical orientation, it's just fine.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
What is the height of the feet you're using in horizontal orientation? If they're below 15mm, it's no wonder that you get serious problems with heat. I think @esplin2966 made some rigorous testing and concluded that you ideally need 25mm or more.
Is there a difference in temps when you turn the case upside down in vertical orientation?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
My feet were around 15mm. However i don't worry as I can use s4 mini vertically with no issue..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
SF600 unboxed, tested and approved! What a great power supply, really compact and efficient...even while gaming, fan is not spinnning...impressive. Only drawback is tightness of wires...but smooth them is quite easy by bending them repeatively by hand...not a big issue.
No noticeable coil whine either.

S4 mini installed with success in the living room...hidden behind tv.

Serious testing will arrive soon.

Ps : r9 nano is capping 1ghz in 1080p. I notice that max frequency is reaching 970 in 1440p and around 900mhz in 2160p..strange, but there is no thermal throttle at all...excellent!
Ps2 : on my watercooled setup, my next gpu will be the one that can handle 2160p 60fps in max details...that means gtx 1080ti or amd vega 2?..:)

Reactions: MrTiny

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Next step in my S4 mini testing...CPU benchmark...:)

I've already shared with you some trials, (based on OCCT, 10mins), now I can complete with final installation :
  • Outside the case, stock core i7 6700k :
    • VC Core Voltage : 1,285v
    • Max temperature (in peak ) : 88°C
    • Average temperature : 80°C
  • Outside the case, stock core i7 6700k, undervolt -0,15v (worked on OCCT, but shows instability in real world multitasking)
    • VC Core Voltage : 1,135v
    • Max temperature (in peak ) : 71°C
    • Average temperature : 67°C
  • Inside the case (but case not closed, with no ATX extension), stock core i7 6700k, undervolt -0,10v
    • VC Core Voltage : 1,185v
    • Max temperature (in peak ) : 79°C
    • Average temperature : 74°C
  • Inside the case (Case closed, ATX extension around cpu cooler), case loacted just behind TV that is heating also, stock core i7 6700k, undervolt -0,10v
    • VC Core Voltage : 1,185v
    • Max temperature (in peak ) : 86°C
    • Average temperature : 80°C

So undervolting CPU is compensating closed case (closing the case is decreasing its cooling capacity).

Even if case is closed, CPU cooling capacity remains pretty good...look at those grahs showing how fast cpu is cooled after load :

As a conclusion, NFC S4 mini can handle core i7 6700k, but you need to have a very good cpu cooler, and also undervolt it a little bit.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Here is a small example of R9 nano temperature on 1080p...I've applied power limit-25%...despite that, frequency is still 1000MHz, Temperature is reaching 67°C, with 38% fan speed...simply really impressive :

Reactions: Soul_Est and MrTiny

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Marc, for cable managment... HDPlex makes an ATX bridge. This might work for your case?

If you have the original IO plate for your motherboard, perhaps it could be modified to fit the above? Would be a very cool addition. And a first.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
What is the height of the feet you're using in horizontal orientation? If they're below 15mm, it's no wonder that you get serious problems with heat. I think @esplin2966 made some rigorous testing and concluded that you ideally need 25mm or more.
Is there a difference in temps when you turn the case upside down in vertical orientation?

*edit* nevermind, I thought you meant he tested the S4 Mini. My bad. *edit*

Sauce? I would love to learn everything I can. Thanks brother.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Marc, for cable managment... HDPlex makes an ATX bridge. This might work for your case?

If you have the original IO plate for your motherboard, perhaps it could be modified to fit the above? Would be a very cool addition. And a first.
I already saw this inliner. However I would need dimensions to study integration..and also it's not available for Europe..:(
Maybe I can ask Hdplex directly..:)

Reactions: MrTiny

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
HD plex was really quick to answer. Unfortunately, it's a little too big.
Pcb size is 30x76mm and free space in my i/o shield is around 30x52mm.

Also hdplex mentioned that it could be not compatible with my modular psu.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I would like to share my current experience on Armored warfare on my second gaming computer (the one watercooled in my signature). I experienced some complete crashes on this computer while playing Armored warfare (and ONLY while playing Armored warfare, not the others games). After several inquiries, crashes were very similar to what I've experienced with pico PSU with R9 Nano (crashes that leads to black screen, and hard reboot)

At the end of inquiries, I've just tried Dual ATX psu combo. My good old Seasonic S12II powering R9 290X only, and my Cooler master V650S powering MB...and this test was fully succesful...system was fully stable. That just means that R9 290X could require high current peak, that even my Gold ATX 650W psu is unable to provide alone...or that means my cooler master V650s PSU is failing somehow.

So conclusion is simple : Armored warfare is a very good benchmark to test 12v pci express stability..:) and now I need to find a fix to my watercooled computer..:D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Strange. I am running a 290X on a Sharkoon 500W SFX-L (80+ Gold), I used to run it on a Silverstone ST45SF-G (450W 80+Gold) and I tested another 290X on that same Silverstone not so long ago. All are stable.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Especially strange as system is not stable only on Armored warfare, all the others games or programs are stable with Cooler master V650s.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Yeah, I've posted this before, but I built a S4 rig for a buddy with a GTX970 and I kept it for a week and played all his favorite games. It ran them flawlessly.

I ship it across the country and he has resets so hard he needs to unplug the power brick from the wall...in Heroes of the Storm! The least demanding game on his list.

After some research and 2 lines of console commands, no crashes.

Good to know Armored Warfare makes some GPUs go nuts.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, no, it's not drivers or game.
I've just tried again my cooler master V650s alone...and it failed in less than 15min of Armored warfare..:(

Definitively, I need to test my good old Seasonic S12II alone to be sure.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
well, well, I've just tested combo furmark+prime 95 to test my cooler master V650s...I was able to heat up to 456W on the wall...and everything ran fine!
I'll test my S12II a bit later this week as it's required to unplug my watercooling...even if it's quick , I'll be able to do it only next week end.