NFC S4 Mini : Enthousiast version (Core i7 6700K + R9 Nano)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Next step, integration in s4 mini ( it should arrive by monday/tuesday)

I keep you informed

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Just skimmed the thread. Is the Nano installed and stable? A couple folks have tried to pair the Nano and HDPlex 250 and determined it wasn't stable. Power draw was "too spikey" for the PSU.I believe forum members QinX and NFC have tested and reached that conclusion. If you can successfully pair the R9 Nano with HDPlex 250W, you will be the first. Subbed!

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Just skimmed the thread. Is the Nano installed and stable? A couple folks have tried to pair the Nano and HDPlex 250 and determined it wasn't stable. Power draw was "too spikey" for the PSU.I believe forum members QinX and NFC have tested and reached that conclusion. If you can successfully pair the R9 Nano with HDPlex 250W, you will be the first. Subbed!

I think Marc is dual-currenting this build, kinda like this:

I'm interested in seeing how it turns out as a fleshed out build too!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, well...I'll have news quickly for sure.
I've just made some trials (both successful and unsuccessful..:))

I'll share results as soon as it's crystal clear..:)

Reactions: Ceros_X

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Here is my first feedback :
  • R9 Nano (VisionTek from Josh) is not coiling, is not throttling significantly...it's a real pleasure to play with it.
  • To properly cool R9 Nano, I've put S4 mini in vertical stand
  • Motherboard (Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5), Samsung 950 pro 512Go, Id Cooling id-VC45, Noctua 92mm fan, Intel Core i7 6700K, well components inside my setup (except all power supplies) are TREMENDOUS!
  • I've made my first gaming session and it was amazing!
  • S4 mini is gorgeous!
But, but...why there is always a BUT?
  • Even Voodoo 350W + HD plex 250W have not enough power to juice R9 Nano Peaks.
    • I can run heaven valley (1080p, 1440p) with no issue
    • i tried also furmark with success
    • Armored warfare experience is quite bad. Power supply turns off when I change graphics parameters, when I come back to desktop, etc...really disappointing
  • HD PLEX 250W IS COILING VERY LOUDLY!..quite unbearable. That means even if I'm using an industrial power supply it will buzz..:(
  • To do my gaming session I've simply used an old ATX power supply (seasonic S12)

Conclusion :
  • I will continue my experimentations (-50% power draw mode in AMD Crimson drivers)
  • I will contact Pico Box/HD plex to try to find pico solutions (vs coil whining)
  • I fell in love on S4 mini standing on my desk...so I will continue
  • I will study to use 24 pins, 8 pins CPU, 8pins PCI-e extensions and use external ATX PSU
  • My usage will be static so it's ok for me to use external ATX
  • I will post pictures of the build (current and future)
Once again, I just thank you Josh to have created such a marvellous case!

Of course, any help will be welcomed..:)

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
What is your framerate looking like? Could you lock frames at 60 with a command line in Armored Warfare? That solved some crashing issues with Blizzard games--it could shoot really high for some 2d graphics during 3d gameplay and blow everything up.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
In fact armored warfare has vsync activated. Game is running at 45fps in 2160p...that's not fps that is causing power brick failure..:)
Same stuff for heaven benchmark, hd plex is coiling loudly even with normal fps (60-70).

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
Conclusion :
  • I will continue my experimentations (-50% power draw mode in AMD Crimson drivers)
  • I will contact Pico Box/HD plex to try to find pico solutions (vs coil whining)
  • I fell in love on S4 mini standing on my desk...so I will continue
  • I will study to use 24 pins, 8 pins CPU, 8pins PCI-e extensions and use external ATX PSU
  • My usage will be static so it's ok for me to use external ATX
  • I will post pictures of the build (current and future)

The Pico Box 300w prototype is ready and being sent to me now. Once I do some initial testing I will be sending it on to Qinx to test with the R9 nano in this setup.

Do you have anything to measure power draw?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I've a power meter to put on wall..I can check max power used by r9 nano.
I'll do test today

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I guess I could give a try to this shuttle power supply, using cable extension from s4 mini( removing i/o shield leave enough space for cables) dhttp://www.shuttle.eu/fr/produits/accessoires-xpc/pc63j/
It has similar size as power brick.
I see several drawbacks :
  • Not modular
  • Grey
  • Normally fan should remain silent on late version, but older version were noisy

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I've tested -50% power limit

With that HD plex is not coil whining during heaven valley..however performance drop is huge (from 1845 to 1272..:))
Bu HD plex is coil whiining during Armored warfare even I didn't notice some failure.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
2 hours of intense gaming session..:)
R9 Nano is very well handled by S4 mini : Gpu core was between 930-980 permanently...that means no major throttle..:)
Fan speed is 50%.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Today's news :
  • With Ashes of singularity (directx 12) benchmark I experienced hard reboot due to failed undervolting cpu (-0.15v). Thus I reduced my undervolting to -0.10v successfully.
  • I've tried again hd plex with Ashes of Singularity...once again it's coil whining and crashing during benchmark..:(
For next week I'll clearly go to ATX extension that I can rout without i/o shield of my mother board.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Small update on CPU test, in vertical stand (less easy to cool), with -0.10V undervoltage :

It's working just fine. No thermal trottle, max temp : 79°C, Average : around 74°C.

Of course temperature are worse than horizontal stand, and -0.15v undervoltage, but at least it's more stable, more realistic..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Here are photos of my current setup (still on going...don't be distracted by all cables behind computer...non modular ATX PSU are horrible for cable management..:))

Yes..yes I've put one airduct to exhaust all hot coming from this side on R9 Nano on this other...it's simple...and damn effective. Air is staying cool on this side on the S4 mini (without airduct, most of hot air is coming back in R9 Nano)

These are just preview..:)

enjoy..:)

Reactions: MrTiny

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Congrats! Your baffle idea as I mentioned before is really interesting; I am going to do some experimenting with it for the 380 if you don't mind.

Thanks, Marc, and peace!