NFC S4 Mini #440

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
For this build, I decided to keep the aluminum bezel while using a Zotac GTX 1080 Mini. I was inspired by @CubanLegend 's Ant Man build (especially the video that accompanied it), as well as @DocH 's Rare Breed build.

First, a parts breakdown:
PSU: GUnique ArchDaemon w/ 400 watt brick
Power Switch: NFC Black Switch
PCI Extender: NFC Ribbon Cable
Mobo: Asus Z270i
RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200
CPU: Intel i5 7600k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
SSD: 1 TB Samsung 960 Evo
GPU Fans: 2 x Noctua NF-A9x14, Scythe Slim 120mm (backplate fan)
GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
Extra: Gelid CA-PWM-02 Fan Adapter, Arctic 0.5mm Thermal Pad​

Since I was keeping my aluminum bezel, I first had to remove the stock fans and shroud from the GPU. to replace those fans, I used two Noctua NF-A9x14 fans attached with zip ties to the heatpipes of the GPU cooler. I connected both of them with a y-adapter, and then to a GPU fan header adapter.

Since the GPU heatsink and the front bezel make direct contact (not even a mm of clearance I think) I decided to add a 0.5 mm thick thermal pad to better pull heat away from the GPU and into the bezel. I found this helped cooling a bit, maybe a drop of 5 degrees celcius or so.

At first, this made the area of the bezel closest to the graphics card extermely hot (the heat died down around the bend of the bezel, and near the power button). To better combat this, I removed my 2.5 inch SSDs, and replaced them with a M.2 NVME drive. This allowed me to transfer the sky mount to behind the GPU, and install a slim scythe fan controlled by my motherboards fan header. With this fan, the bezel gets hot, but not extremely so. At least safe for me to pick up, while it is under load (although I don't know in what situation I would do this).

I haven't run very extensive tests yet, but so far my peak GPU temperature under 100% load is about 78 degrees celcius. Not great, and with a bit of tuning I am sure this could come down more, but it is fine for my purposes at the moment.

I also decided to add my own detachable feet to my case, so that it can lay in the horizontal position underneath my monitor (I need to grab a picture of my desk...)

All in all, being able to cool the GPU from three different angles has been very interesting, especially in such a small case. Combating thermals while working in a reduced volume has been interesting, and this implementation I believe is much better than a case double the volume (like my previous case, the Node 202).

A link to a gallery of my build is shown below.

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Dude @Reldey this build thread is only 1 post but its amazing! I'm so proud my build inspired you to build inside the S4 mini as well. :D Welcome to the S4 Mini family!

This is a great bit of innovation you've got here:
-The STOCK wrap-around bezel, but with a 1080 mini, and 2 x Noctua NF-A9x14's on the 1080 mini instead of the original fans and shroud. Awesome job! Quieter fans, and they run cooler too!
-I love the idea of keeping the original look with the original wrap-around bezel, AND using the the bezel to dissipate heat from the 1080 mini, by using that .5mm thermal pad.

Where did you buy that thermal pad btw? I'd like to buy one ;) I've been inspired to try something on my S4 mini build.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Dude @Reldey this build thread is only 1 post but its amazing! I'm so proud my build inspired you to build inside the S4 mini as well. :D Welcome to the S4 Mini family!

This is a great bit of innovation you've got here:
-The STOCK wrap-around bezel, but with a 1080 mini, and 2 x Noctua NF-A9x14's on the 1080 mini instead of the original fans and shroud. Awesome job! Quieter fans, and they run cooler too!
-I love the idea of keeping the original look with the original wrap-around bezel, AND using the the bezel to dissipate heat from the 1080 mini, by using that .5mm thermal pad.

Where did you buy that thermal pad btw? I'd like to buy one ;) I've been inspired to try something on my S4 mini build.

Thanks sir! I stand on the shoulders of giants, etc. etc. I actually tried to buy the thermal pad from Amazon, but they lost it in shipment. So I went to my local Microcenter and found one there. Here is the Amazon link to the thermal pad: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UYTT3I2/?tag=theminutiae-20

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Actually modified my backplate fan as well with SpeedFan to have it thermally controlled by the GPU, seems to be working well.

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Actually modified my backplate fan as well with SpeedFan to have it thermally controlled by the GPU, seems to be working well.
dude that's great, I've had my fans and adapter and thermal pads sitting around, just waiting for when I have time to do this mod. Also waiting on Josh to ship me my Grade C Black Wrap-around bezel. :)

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
dude that's great, I've had my fans and adapter and thermal pads sitting around, just waiting for when I have time to do this mod. Also waiting on Josh to ship me my Grade C Black Wrap-around bezel. :)
Also removed my backplate, and have seen my temps drop another couple degrees. I really recommend removing the backplate if possible.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Also removed my backplate, and have seen my temps drop another couple degrees. I really recommend removing the backplate if possible.
interesting, can i remove the backplate and the front heatsink/fans without removing the 1080 from the case? please say yes. I dont think I can afford the PC downtime required for a COMPLETE system teardown like that, lol. It's my daily-use PC, lol.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
interesting, can i remove the backplate and the front heatsink/fans without removing the 1080 from the case? please say yes. I dont think I can afford the PC downtime required for a COMPLETE system teardown like that, lol. It's my daily-use PC, lol.
Hmmm... probably not. I had to take the card out first. It is quite a bit of trouble, but I have been getting much faster at it. I hope now I won't have to crack it open again for some time.

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
I don't have any experience modding PC parts or anything, but how difficult would you say the mod on the 1080 is? Is it worth it for the small drop in temps? Or because of the drop in temps and noise?

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
I don't have any experience modding PC parts or anything, but how difficult would you say the mod on the 1080 is? Is it worth it for the small drop in temps? Or because of the drop in temps and noise?

I really did the mods more for aesthetics than anything, and just took advantage of cooling opportunities after the fact. My main goal was to fit the GTX 1080 behind a stock aluminum bezel. If you are comfortable taking apart a graphics card (like removing the fan shroud, then heatsink) it isn't that bad of a job. I had to remove everything on my card at least twice, and I did have some spooky moments (gpu fan header started to slide off its own pins when removing the GPU fan to Case fan adapter). And as always, building or doing something out of spec to the S4 mini can be complicated.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
So I did another stress test, 5 minutes with furmark at 2560x1440 with no AA. At an ambient room temperature of 21 degrees, I saw a max temp of 73 degrees.

I love this build, although carrying around the power brick and unplugging it from under my desk is somewhat of a chore when I travel with it every weekend (might do my backpack setup of my mini if people are interested...) . I think my next build might be slightly larger with an internal ACDC solution...

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
So I did another stress test, 5 minutes with furmark at 2560x1440 with no AA. At an ambient room temperature of 21 degrees, I saw a max temp of 73 degrees.

I love this build, although carrying around the power brick and unplugging it from under my desk is somewhat of a chore when I travel with it every weekend (might do my backpack setup of my mini if people are interested...) . I think my next build might be slightly larger with an internal ACDC solution...

Slightly larger you say.

Internal AC/DC you say...

Hmmmm...I might know of the right case. ;)

Reactions: Reldey