Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I'm totally with you, 3D print case aren't inferior to metal case, i like them even more, flexibility like you mentioned. You should continue in 3D print project case and improve quality product. Perhaps no much people like you aren't trying 3D print case, No such people have think about that before, i think you're the only one. Very good initiative and creativity from you. With time people with know the new method of manufacturing cases. I can't wait for the LE or the L version to come out.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Hey, ever considered a IGP-only version case?

Since I've seen many manufacturers are planning to sell mini PCs (Intel NUC, ZOTAC, ASUS...), and more came in CES 2018.

I've tried to find a such a case, but they are either not customizable, since they are not using mainstream hardware,
or not "small" enough ( E-mini H60 might be the best choice by now).

Also I've done some design work, planning to do a 185 * 185 * 55 mm, 1.9L case, with pico psu, m.2 only case. should be able to fit some regular cpu coolers like NH-L9i, and a m.2 SSD under motherboard, we can even add a thermal paste between SSD and the bottom panel for cooling. Just a newbie at SFF and manufacturing stuff, any thoughts on this?

Sounds great! It would look amazing as a 3D printed case. I'll definitelly consider making it in the future.

I'm so happy that this project is taking off very well by the looks of it! Last time I commented you made some very sexy prototypes. I might just have to move some cheddar aside to buy a case! :) I own two G-Unique ultimate bricks, both with the beefy special 12 pin connectors (6x2 grid). Do you offer any customization if requested in terms of any dimensions for that power opening?

6x2 G-Unique. I could probably have Gury make me a base unit that may fit better with the small space with screws on the left and right instead of the top, less bulk, etc.

Sure, I was planning to make it an option anyway because 8 pin connector barely handles the current required by GTX 1080. Especially that Gury offers 12V systems. It would be a great help if you could share some measurements of the PCB which connector is soldered to (PCB overall dimensions, mounting holes positions and distance from mounting points to the center of the connector). Version with screws on the left and right would work even better. :)

Sorry to deviate but where did you order yours? In Europe?

The only place in Europe which I'm aware of is this shop: https://www.highflow.nl/hardware/vi...3.0-ribbon-flexible-riser-cable-v2-black.html . Personally I got them directly from Li-Heat, shipment was much quicker than expected. I'll most likely offer them in my shop a couple months from now.

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
Sure, I was planning to make it an option anyway because 8 pin connector barely handles the current required by GTX 1080. Especially that Gury offers 12V systems. It would be a great help if you could share some measurements of the PCB which connector is soldered to (PCB overall dimensions, mounting holes positions and distance from mounting points to the center of the connector). Version with screws on the left and right would work even better. :)

Gury sent this my way when I told him about an ultra slim style 6x2 DC IN pin connector. I assume the bottom is the 8 pin and the top is 12.

hlgr

Chassis Packer
Mar 16, 2017
Hey, have you considered making an XS case without space for a GPU? Will probably get interesting once the Ryzen APUs are available (GTX1050Ti level graphics performance)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Hey, have you considered making an XS case without space for a GPU? Will probably get interesting once the Ryzen APUs are available (GTX1050Ti level graphics performance)

That's an awesome idea. I'll create it eventually but priority depends on how many people will express interest in such case. Would you be interested in version with internal or external PSU?

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I'm starting to offer high quality anti-vandal switches. They are sleeved using premium sleeving an fit all versions of xCase. You can buy them in my shop for just $19 http://modivio.com/product/power-switch/ . Versions with red, green, blue and white illumination as well as without illumination are available.

The second thing is that all xCase M cases purchased from this day forward are compatible with KMPKT Dynamo Mini, Dynamo 360 and the Dynamo Duo (Mini + 360)!

Last edited:

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I so wished I had money to spare. That looks so good with the red bezel. Is that the M version with GPU facing the other way?

Thanks! It's the M version with GPU facing the same way as motherboard. As it turned out most people choose this orientation.

Is this like a Mark 2 of the case? The rear side looks different to me.

I'm constantly improving the design but there wasn't any significant changes on the rear side recently. There are differences between versions with graphics card facing opposite directions though. The main difference is the location of the cutout which allows a screwdriver to reach screws locking a graphics card bracket. BTW. I'll be remaking all renders using more contrasting materials to make such details better visible.

Do you have a photo / render of the case in white bezel?

I'm printing the white version as we speak but it will take me untill the end of next week to finish everything and take photos. In the meantime I'm preparing to make renders of new size versions.

Last edited:

Edward Hay

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2016
It says that the CPU Cooler clearance is 47mm, but that happens to be the height of the Cryorig C7. Would it fit perfectly or?

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Is it possible to get a render with the KMPKT Dynamo Duo?

I'm working on it :)

It says that the CPU Cooler clearance is 47mm, but that happens to be the height of the Cryorig C7. Would it fit perfectly or?

Sure, with C7 there would be 2mm of clearance between the top of the cooler and the side panel. If you'd like more clearance I'd be happy to add a couple more mm's at no additional cost.

Edward Hay

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2016
Thanks! It's the M version with GPU facing the same way as motherboard. As it turned out most people choose this orientation.

I'm constantly improving the design but there wasn't any significant changes on the rear side recently. There are differences between versions with graphics card facing opposite directions though. The main difference is the location of the cutout which allows a screwdriver to reach screws locking a graphics card bracket. BTW. I'll be remaking all renders using more contrasting materials to make such details better visible.

I'm printing the white version as we speak but it will take me untill the end of next week to finish everything and take photos. In the meantime I'm preparing to make renders of new size versions.
When it comes to SSD mounts, it seems like there's three slots above the GPU if it's facing the other way, but when it's facing the same way as the MB, are the three SSD slots underneath the GPU?

LiquidHazard

Chassis Packer
May 18, 2017
I'm really tempted to get one of these. It looks amazing. Just have to sell my Osmi and I will order one from you!
BTW I'm planning on a low power (ryzen 1400+1050ti) build and will be using the hdplex 160w + brick. Is the cutout for the brick compatible with the 7.4x5.0mm connector?