Status
Not open for further replies.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yes comment :p

The smaller slots are for right-angle SATA power plugs, so they don't press against the motherboard tray when a 2.5" drive is mounted there. The larger hole above them is to get access to the space behind the SFX PSU for cable management.

skukza

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
Yes comment :p

The smaller slots are for right-angle SATA power plugs, so they don't press against the motherboard tray when a 2.5" drive is mounted there. The larger hole above them is to get access to the space behind the SFX PSU for cable management.

Neat! (see what I did there) The lower of the two in that picture is presumably for SFX-L cable management and the upper SFX?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The large hole is for cable management, though I'm not sure how useful it'll actually be. The idea is when the SFX/SFX-L PSU is installed there's a space between it and the motherboard tray that's good for stuffing cables but it's inaccessible with the power supply installed. So the cutout gives a bit of access to it for getting a zip-tie in there or something.

The two smaller slots are for each drive mount, if you notice the sets of holes, one drive can be mounted up top behind the PSU and the other can be mounted down low under the GPU, though right-angle SATA ports may make the bottom mount difficult to use.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Forgot to answer this, the EK Predator 240mm should fit fine on the bottom though that limits it to a single GPU since it's so tall.

On the front it may fit, but it'll be really close due to the length of the unit. The thickness of it will limit card length, not sure how much offhand.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Hmm with the R9 Fury and other ITX cards, this should be possible though. I think the EK Predator 240mm is an awesome set on paper, with replaceable components and quality products all around. It would be excellent if it would fit.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hmm with the R9 Fury and other ITX cards, this should be possible though. I think the EK Predator 240mm is an awesome set on paper, with replaceable components and quality products all around. It would be excellent if it would fit.

The Predator on the front with dual ITX cards - or on the bottom with a water blocked dual-GPU card - would be fantastic.

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
Does it have to be exactly miniITX in length (170 mm)? My Zotac 970 (model ZT-90101-10P) is only slightly longer at 204 mm.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Cards around 250mm or shorter should be a safe bet with the Predator mounted to the front.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I can only say good things about the GALAX/KFA² GTX 970 Gamer OC. Is ~178mm long, reference PCB, standard PCIe height, so no problems with the PEG connectors and good thermal design.
Well it would be nice if it had single slot I/O, but that's about it.

willemdoom

Chassis Packer
May 17, 2015
How high is the maximun cpu cooler heigt, did it chance or is it still the same as on the website?

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
I can only say good things about the GALAX/KFA² GTX 970 Gamer OC. Is ~178mm long, reference PCB, standard PCIe height, so no problems with the PEG connectors and good thermal design.
Well it would be nice if it had single slot I/O, but that's about it.

I really like the small 970s, but surprisingly the small PCB from the 670/760 is not actually the reference PCB for the 970. It just happens to be suitable enough that some manufacturers carried it over. The official reference card is actually full length, albeit rarely used, as the AIBs were free to go with their own designs from day 1.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814132038

I hope that with Pascal, Nvidia makes an effort to utilize HBM2 to make several small but powerful cards, including the top end.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Where do you see that? Neither of the two links actually show or specify the lenght of the PCB, and all reference 970 designs I can find use the short PCB.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Nvidia didn't actually produce a reference design for the 970. They provided the chips to OEMs, who decided themselves what PCBs to put them onto. Most chose to reuse 670/760 PCBs, which had adequate power delivery and adequate cooling. Manli was the only OEM that put 970 chips onto 980 PCBs and to stamp out NVTTM shrouds with '970' on them (which is where OCUK and Best Buy got theirs).
That Nvidia distributed review 970 cards on 980 PCBs (because that's what Nvidia had to hand internally) just added further confusion.

Reactions: iFreilicht
Status
Not open for further replies.