Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Thanks! I like it too. Spaced SLI covers it up though :p

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
No ETA yet, we're still in the process of figuring some details out.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So I have an idea of what to test fit, what kind of builds are you guys planning on doing in the case?

VirtualVoid

Chassis Packer
Sep 3, 2015
So far, it looks like my build will be:

GIGABYTE Z170MX-Gaming 5 - for the Thunderbolt 3 and SLI
6700K cooled by NZXT X41
Some kind of M.2 NVMe SSD
2 x Pascal GPU (once available)... if the reference cooler is a blower, I hope the Gigabyte board supports SLI with the bottom slot. The motherboard isn't released yet, so I don't know. If the reference cooler is a CLC, I'm hoping to put the radiators on the front and bottom.
Silverstone 700W SFX-L, should be enough power unless Pascal turns out to be a real hog.

In an ideal world, I would postpone buying the [REDACTED] until Pascal launches. However, I'm concerned that I would risk missing out on being able to buy the [REDACTED] if production ceases. So I'll probably order it ASAP and keep my fingers crossed that nothing changes my plans.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The bottom slot on the Z170MX-Gaming 5 is x4 so unless Nvidia relaxes the x8 requirement with Pascal, spaced SLI won't work on that board.

Long-term availability of the case is uncertain so if you want one I'd recommend buying one now. If it does turn out that by the time Pascal releases the case isn't available and your plans have changed you could easily resell it.

Reactions: VirtualVoid

Rasmus Kofod

Case Bender
Aug 26, 2015
Well, I actually just bought this stuff that I plan to put into a NOVA case:

ASUS Z170M-PLUS
Intel i5 6600K
Noctua NH-D15S Air cooler
16 GB DDR4
ASUS GeForce STRIX GTX 980 Ti 6GB (OC)
Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500 GB (SATA)
Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3 (placeholder)

and... Dell U3415W

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm going to transplant the hardware I have from my Ncase M1 into this, see my signature below. I'd be very much interested in finding out how far air-cooling-only can go in this case while staying reasonably quiet during game loads.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Well, I actually just bought this stuff that I plan to put into a NOVA case...

The 980 Strix will be close, I think it'll fit but the heatpipe may touch the side panel. The D15S won't fit, it's almost as tall as the entire case is wide. C14S would be a good alternative.

I'm going to transplant the hardware I have from my Ncase M1 into this, see my signature below. I'd be very much interested in finding out how far air-cooling-only can go in this case while staying reasonably quiet during game loads.

I think it'll perform a bit worse since the video card won't be right up against the bottom vents anymore.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Unfortunately I can't provide input for this question. Unless a revision is planned, which doesn't sound likely, I intend to buy at the first run and store it until Skylake-E - I don't actually like the idea of a Z170 matx build and that has a lot to do with the available bandwidth between the chipset and cpu, and I don't want to go back to X99.

I'd like to see a 2x 240mm rad configuration, but if you don't have the components to do this it's no big deal. I suspect that this case will handle the Dark Rock TF a lot better than the M1, which I do have on hand to test in the M1... eventually.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, the selection of mATX Z170 has been disappointing so far.

I have a single Alphacool 240mm ST30, I can show what both installed would look like through the power of Photoshop.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Spray

A worker applies a dry, powder coat spray to an electrically-charged part.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm curious what the slots on the front of the panel are for. Storage mounts ?

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Just a heads up, but the Nova page on your website seems a bit out of date (top fan, no ATX support with accompanying FAQ mention).

Anyways, it looks like you guys are just planning on having a rear mount PSU bolt to the back panel. Would it still be possible to get a bracket to mount it to the swing out side mount?
I've found from working on cases of many different sizes, the more stuff you can move out of the way without having to actually partially dismantle a system makes testing and minor repairs much easier, and this is especially important with overlapping components and/or smaller cases.

I don't have a specific list of parts in mind for my next build as of yet, but have been strongly considering an X99 build with a Fury X.
What's important to me, though is maintaining positive pressure and having filters on the intakes since I've lost a fair number of fans just from them sucking dust into the motor. Also, if it's in the budget, I was hoping to stick an Aquaero in there somewhere; given there's no open drive bay that would probably just be a 5LT
(I know it's past the design process, but it would have been neat to see a spot for mounting drive bay fan controllers/reservoirs even if there isn't space to actually put a drive there.)

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Just a heads up, but the Nova page on your website seems a bit out of date (top fan, no ATX support with accompanying FAQ mention).

Yes, the page hasn't been updated at all since it was first posted - it reflects what Nova's design was when the very first prototype was made, but there have since been a lot of changes.

Anyway, I've been pushing changes to the website since yesterday (see the new home page), and updating the product page is certainly on the list.

It looks like you guys are just planning on having a rear mount PSU bolt to the back panel. Would it still be possible to get a bracket to mount it to the swing out side mount?
I've found from working on cases of many different sizes, the more stuff you can move out of the way without having to actually partially dismantle a system makes testing and minor repairs much easier, and this is especially important with overlapping components and/or smaller cases.

I wouldn't count on it - it would be neat and practical and such, but there are actually significant engineering problems with supporting a rear-mounted power supply in this way. For instance, we'd have to develop a more complex bracket that wraps around the PSU instead of a simple plate that uses the existing mount points on the back; we'd have to design a much stronger (and likely more bulky) hinge that could support the significant weight of ATX PSU's... it's just a bit much for what we'd be able to get in return for all that work and expense.

I'm curious what the slots on the front of the panel are for. Storage mounts ?

Interesting they don't appear to be present on any of the Nova-00 images

No comment ;)

Any idea if it will be possible to fit a EK Predator 240 in the Nova?

Looking at the dimensions, it would certainly only fit on the bottom, if anywhere. The length is ok, the height would mean losing all but the top two PCI slots... But the width may be a bit too much (hopefully Aiboh can confirm either way). I think it will work, if not barely.

Status
Not open for further replies.