Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Part of the mystery, viral campaign it !

You could use a solid bar for every print or web media:
Kimera ███████

Or you could save it for some special edition ofcourse (dibs on #3)

Reactions: Qrash

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The Case Formerly Known As Nova.

Actually, given that it's currently called [REDACTED], it would be "The Case Formerly Known As The Case Formerly Known As Nova" XD

Anyways, we have a "special edition" video update for you all today! Check it out:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Since this is being made from steel, have you thought about using brushed or polished stainless steel as an option? Yes, probably a finger print magnet for the polished.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
There's a lot of hardware that's pressed into the sheets and the textured powder coat hides it.

I've worked on a few of those Antec P182 with the mirror finish and they are super fingerprint magnets :p

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Bent

A worker uses a press brake to bend flanges onto one of the edges of Nova's internal frame.

Reactions: MJVR1 and tedlas

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
I said it before and I'll say it again....By far the most anticipated case purchase for me so far!!!

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
This is my favorite part of the case manufacturing process. So cool to see a flat piece of metal turned into a three dimensional part. It's like really expensive papercraft :p

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Awesome news, bringing some production back to Europe and the US is a good thing in my book when seemingly almost everything is being made without much scrutiny or overwatch in Asia.

willemdoom

Chassis Packer
May 17, 2015
Are you guys just teasing us and do you already have the case delivered or does making a Nova really takes this long?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Are you guys just teasing us and do you already have the case delivered or does making a Nova really takes this long?

The photos we're sharing aren't strictly chronological, as we're trying to show a linear/logical progression of things as best we can. But in terms of time, making these prototypes does take a little while. It isn't as simple as having our manufacturer just "make" the design we provide - there's a lot of back and forth as various challenges and decisions emerge, and our manufacturer is using these prototypes to better understand how they'll create cases at scale. Further, that work isn't even done once the cases are made - we still have to inspect them, perform tests on them, and provide further feedback that will culminate in the very last changes, and the very final iteration of Nova's design.

Things are looking good, and we're moving along briskly, but there's plenty to do even though we're at the final stages before we can dive into getting the crowdfunding campaign going ;)

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Probably not. Shipments are typically grouped up by region so trying to match up serial #s to the order they were purchased when dealing with hundreds of cases to dozens of countries would be difficult.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Bit late but here it is:

A threaded nut is pressed into the motherboard tray.

Status
Not open for further replies.