Production J-HACK PURE X - 4.3L LP GPU chassis with FLEX support

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Oh my, that's not very good news :(

Is the bracket integrated in the case like the Lone case, or is it a separate piece?

newzealot

Caliper Novice
Jul 26, 2019
MSI uses a stupid GPU bracket that goes the opposite direction, so I will have to design a 3D printed IO bracket for it to fit. Sigh*

Could you elaborate on what is wrong? Do you mean that an MSI low profile card simply cannot fit without special plastic brackets that could possibly affect airflow?

This is quite a concern, as the design of this case seems geared to fit only low profile GPUs and there is already an issue on a certain brand.

Is it possible for you to do more testing with different GPUs and let us know which ones can fit well?

WHATT

Chassis Packer
Mar 26, 2019
Sorry I'm sure this is annoying but I'm having difficulty seeing what you mean here. Looking at your picture I can see that all of the I/O for the card appears to line up with the slotted openings you have setup at the back of the case for PCI-E expansion. What part of this is going "the wrong way"?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Sorry I'm sure this is annoying but I'm having difficulty seeing what you mean here. Looking at your picture I can see that all of the I/O for the card appears to line up with the slotted openings you have setup at the back of the case for PCI-E expansion. What part of this is going "the wrong way"?

So for regular gpu, the tab that sticks out goes "up." but for low profile cards it goes "down." I'll have to provide a picture later.

Essientially in terms of slots the low profile card uses the 2nd and 3rd slot for securing it. Regular gpu uses the first and second slot.

The case uses a 2 slot design. It's kind of overlook. The aftermarket IO bracket will just be like normal. There is not an airflow issue as most of the airflow do not go out that way and it is design for you to use 2x 80x80x20mm fans.

• Wow
Reactions: WHATT

WHATT

Chassis Packer
Mar 26, 2019
So for regular gpu, the tab that sticks out goes "up." but for low profile cards it goes "down." I'll have to provide a picture later.

Essientially in terms of slots the low profile card uses the 2nd and 3rd slot for securing it. Regular gpu uses the first and second slot.

The case uses a 2 slot design. It's kind of overlook. The aftermarket IO bracket will just be like normal. There is not an airflow issue as most of the airflow do not go out that way and it is design for you to use 2x 80x80x20mm fans.

I see. So, the tab at the top of the bracket for securing the card with a second screw changes orientation? That seems like an odd choice on the part of add-in card manufacturers. I'd assume about 5 min with my dremel tool would sort that out though (just trim the bracket. Don't need more than a single screw anyway). I don't think I'd be too concerned about it, but that is unfortunate.

::EDIT::

Google Image search helped out.

Last edited:

Dynamite

Trash Compacter
Apr 20, 2018
Includes location for 2x 80mm fans. For the MSI, seems like you can use 20mm width fans. You do need slightly longer fan screws as one of the location hits a nut insert.
Great job on the pre-production case!

Are the fans meant to be mounted to the lower, white panel, or the top, black panel?

Are there fan mounts on both sides of the case if you're using a DC-ATX power supply instead of a Flex-ATX?

It seems like there is probably not enough room between the front edge of the motherboard and the front of the case to mount any kind of internal AC-DC power supply, right?

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Great job on the pre-production case!

Are the fans meant to be mounted to the lower, white panel, or the top, black panel?

Are there fan mounts on both sides of the case if you're using a DC-ATX power supply instead of a Flex-ATX?

It seems like there is probably not enough room between the front edge of the motherboard and the front of the case to mount any kind of internal AC-DC power supply, right?

It is actually the production version. So it is stuck with it for this batch.

To answer your questions:

1. No it is designed with fan mount on only one side.
2. Correct. It is designed with only one location for the psu.
3. The fans attach to the power panel. Depending on the size of your gpu you can mount different thickness fans. I recommend measuring it after you do a test fit. I recommend using it as exhaust.

Reactions: Dynamite

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Looks great, even with the minor LP bracket issue. Too bad you can't put 25mm fans on the GPU but 15mm is much better than 10mm :)

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Or 20mm

I'll also design a fan bracket that you can print/buy and install directly on the cooler since now I have a sample.
Got a source on 20x80mm fans? I've tried out the 15mm Cooler Master and Noiseblocker models but haven't tried out the 10mm Velka models yet. Handn't heard of any 20mm ones.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Got a source on 20x80mm fans? I've tried out the 15mm Cooler Master and Noiseblocker models but haven't tried out the 10mm Velka models yet. Handn't heard of any 20mm ones.

Not personally. The general search term is "8020" fans. Though I imagine it would not be much different than 15mm fans. If they're not crucial for airflow, a fan with quality bearings will give you good performance.

Did you like the CM or NB ones?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Not personally. The general search term is "8020" fans. Though I imagine it would not be much different than 15mm fans. If they're not crucial for airflow, a fan with quality bearings will give you good performance.

Did you like the CM or NB ones?
I unfortunately couldn't get proper control working with either the NB or CM ones using the header on my Gigabyte LP 1050ti but both work fine off my motherboard header. Since Speedfan hasn't been updated in so long, it doesn't recognize my graphics card so I can't run the motherboard fan headers off the graphics card temp control so I'm just controlling them manually.

In my case (Realan Ei7) with the fans sandwiched tightly between the GPU heatsink and the case vents I found the Coolermaster fans presented a nicer sound than the Noiseblocker fans at the same temperature. Additionally, the Coolermaster fans are less expensive and easier to mount (the Noiseblocker fans have solid mounting points instead of mounting 'tabs' so your rubber mounting damper has to go all the way through). I did enjoy the Noiseblocker 80x15 when I used it to my an old Silverstone SFX PSU circa 2012. Additionally, the Noiseblocker has a 4 pin fan and PWM control, but most motherboard support fine tune control over 3 pins these days.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I unfortunately couldn't get proper control working with either the NB or CM ones using the header on my Gigabyte LP 1050ti but both work fine off my motherboard header. Since Speedfan hasn't been updated in so long, it doesn't recognize my graphics card so I can't run the motherboard fan headers off the graphics card temp control so I'm just controlling them manually.

In my case (Realan Ei7) with the fans sandwiched tightly between the GPU heatsink and the case vents I found the Coolermaster fans presented a nicer sound than the Noiseblocker fans at the same temperature. Additionally, the Coolermaster fans are less expensive and easier to mount (the Noiseblocker fans have solid mounting points instead of mounting 'tabs' so your rubber mounting damper has to go all the way through). I did enjoy the Noiseblocker 80x15 when I used it to my an old Silverstone SFX PSU circa 2012. Additionally, the Noiseblocker has a 4 pin fan and PWM control, but most motherboard support fine tune control over 3 pins these days.

It would be better run off the motherboard anyways. You would want them as exhaust to help remove the warm air from the cpu cooler. That would give you the best temperature.

Good to know CM is good.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
It would be better run off the motherboard anyways. You would want them as exhaust to help remove the warm air from the cpu cooler. That would give you the best temperature.

Good to know CM is good.
In my case I had removed the fan from the graphics card, so they were there solely to cool the GPU. When I re-build in the PureX I'll have to play around with fan configurations.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Expected ship date: 25 SEP 2019.

Included is the 1050 Ti bracket. should be compatible with multiple GPUs since they seem to be based off a similar layout. If you have a single slot card, you should not need a bracket.

If it does not fit your GPU, send me your bracket and I'll provide a 3D bracket free of charge after some quick modeling.

(For those unable to see embeds)
PIC 1 PIC 2

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Looks awesome! I'd buy one if I didn't have a LP case already. Good luck with sales!