Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

n13L5

Trash Compacter
Aug 20, 2017
What kind of hardware could this adapter comfortably power? Would this be enough for a GTX1070 and a 65W CPU?

According to PCPartPicker's Wattage calculation,

I can run the following at 384 Watt:

ASRock Z370 FATAL1TY
INTEL i7-8600 (65W TDP)
32 GB DDR4 RAM @3200
ZOTAC GTX 1080 TI mini
SANDISK EXTREME 1TB M.2 SDD
TEAC BLU-RAY BURNER
(Obviously no overclocking :p )

Now, just for kicks, I tried adding an internal 5TB 2.5" drive (Samsung made Seagate drive afaik), and that got consumption up to 399 WATT a bit close and clearly outside of the best efficiency zone, but remember that HDPLEX' power rating is continuous rating. If you go over 400 for short periods, its not going to blow up. (not saying I recommend going that close - I prefer keeping a 30% reserve when possible, but it depends on the PSU - some are rated well below actual capability, like high quality Seasonic units)

If you were to run power hungry external gear through the USB or Thunderbolt port, or try to charge 3 phones, you might run into trouble only if you do that WHILE gaming.

But chances are, when you're gaming and getting the GPU to draw a lot of power, you're not using the BLU-RAY burner or powering some external multi-tracking gear through your Thunderbolt port.

So my guess is, that at full gaming load, you'll still be below 350 Watt

And as soon as you're NOT revving the GPU, but just doing various and sunder, you should be around 100 Watt only.

Last edited:

n13L5

Trash Compacter
Aug 20, 2017
I have all the parts besides the hdplex 400w (once it’s released I can do the measurements and buy the gpu to build a brickless S4M.)

If it won't fit with a Zotac GTX 1080TI mini, I don't see how its worth building it at all...

The overall cost of this system makes it a very inefficient use of money and time, so it should at least be awesome. External Power Brick or Not. THE HDPLEX PSU will probably make a better power brick than the Dell at any rate.

Otherwise, I'd rather go to Lian Li's first SFF entry that works for gamers, the Lian Li PC-Q38WA, which is much like a somewhat less sophisticated M1 for $129, which will fit everything you need for over-clocked gaming into a still really small space.

Its not that I'd trade my M1 for it, but its finally a mass market alternative at a low price, without compromising quality, size or weight, and it doesn't require any import/export adventures and their added risk / cost.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
If it won't fit with a Zotac GTX 1080TI mini, I don't see how its worth building it at all...

The overall cost of this system makes it a very inefficient use of money and time, so it should at least be awesome.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
@LFO

Do you have any more info on the fault?

No I don't know what the issue is or was, I just read that there was a bad batch and I'm trying to find out if mine is one them before I unbox it.
I can't test it before I have my other parts and most important the 400 Watt AC-DC

n13L5

Trash Compacter
Aug 20, 2017

Haha, having a bunch of out-of-control boozers and drug addicts who take a gun into a bowling alley tell me that something is "just" my opinion is hilarious!

Besides, what do you think everything is that people say on internet forums other than their opinion?
Would you prefer I send you an email and ask for your more weighty opinion before I make any posts?

Hell yeah, its my opinion! I don't usually set out to state anything beyond that...

You could just say: "I disagree, I like expensive but tiny computers and I'm ok with taking a hit on capability". :D

I've just built a system of that type - because it had to be noiseless and fanless to be used as a DAW computer.
Priorities depend on the purpose of the computer, its power and reliability vs the cost. It has a very small case too, but damn is it heavy!

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Haha, having a bunch of out-of-control boozers and drug addicts who take a gun into a bowling alley tell me that something is "just" my opinion is hilarious!

Besides, what do you think everything is that people say on internet forums other than their opinion?
Would you prefer I send you an email and ask for your more weighty opinion before I make any posts?

Hell yeah, its my opinion! I don't usually set out to state anything beyond that...

You could just say: "I disagree, I like expensive but tiny computers and I'm ok with taking a hit on capability". :D

I've just built a system of that type - because it had to be noiseless and fanless to be used as a DAW computer.
Priorities depend on the purpose of the computer, its power and reliability vs the cost. It has a very small case too, but damn is it heavy!

I just don't really see your point. Physics currently can only take us so far. Regardless of whether or not it can fit inside an S4Mini with a high end GPU, it can still be used as an external brick which is huge. Besides Gury's units, there isn't really an affordable option in the market to be used as an external brick, and would be a great replacement to the Dell bricks for most projects.