Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
I don't know how to put this without being blunt, but it looks inferior to me than a FlexATX unit in every way. Higher volume, less power, even uses a smaller fan at 30mm, the most common gripe when it comes to Flex.

Reactions: ricochet

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
I don't know how to put this without being blunt, but it looks inferior to me than a FlexATX unit in every way. Higher volume, less power, even uses a smaller fan at 30mm, the most common gripe when it comes to Flex.
It isn't more volume, the HDPlex 400W ACDC sits at 0.41L currently based on the sites measurements. The flex PSU standard sets it at 0.49 L. And again, this can be used externally, which the flex PSU can not. I see pros and cons to both solutions depending on the application.

Reactions: Gautam

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
It isn't more volume, the HDPlex 400W ACDC sits at 0.41L currently based on the sites measurements. The flex PSU standard sets it at 0.49 L. And again, this can be used externally, which the flex PSU can not. I see pros and cons to both solutions depending on the application.
Once you add the DC-DC PCB, it's close to .7L in total. Pretty counterintuitive but its only around 100mL less than an SFX PSU.

The big advantages are that the shape is easier to work with, and less cable mess, though the latter is relatively easy to mod around.

True, for me personally external is a huge minus, for others it can be a plus.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Once you add the DC-DC PCB, it's close to .7L in total. Pretty counterintuitive but its only around 100mL less than an SFX PSU.

The big advantages are that the shape is easier to work with, and less cable mess, though the latter is relatively easy to mod around.

True, for me personally external is a huge minus, for others it can be a plus.

I mean, it sits on the floor next to the about equally sized power strip behind my desk. I don't see why having a small box next to your power strip upsets people so much.

Reactions: SoulTrain

Untero

Average Stuffer
Dec 14, 2017
I mean, it sits on the floor next to the about equally sized power strip behind my desk. I don't see why having a small box next to your power strip upsets people so much.
The fact you still don't see a reason behind it makes me a bit sad. At least two people spent some time to explain that for you earlier this thread...

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Is a 3D printed enclosure, that properly accommodate the fan, more safe to use externally ?

External adapters have these features, or at least good ones:

1. Strain relief DC output. Prevents accidental damage from tugs, moving the wire at extreme angles.

2. No ventilation for contamination, dust, dirt, liquids from spills.

3. AC power entry built in, prevents accidental damage of AC wiring.

4. Wiring is assembled, ie they all have an additional plastic sleeve for insulation and protection.

Some of these you can certainly mitigate, some of them it'll be difficult to.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
External adapters have these features, or at least good ones:

1. Strain relief DC output. Prevents accidental damage from tugs, moving the wire at extreme angles.

2. No ventilation for contamination, dust, dirt, liquids from spills.

3. AC power entry built in, prevents accidental damage of AC wiring.

4. Wiring is assembled, ie they all have an additional plastic sleeve for insulation and protection.

Some of these you can certainly mitigate, some of them it'll be difficult to.
Thanks for the list! I can certainly design an enclosure to mitigate #1, #3, and #4. I may need 3D print help when the time comes.

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
It's totally personal preference and how you use your PC. I travel really frequently, and I carry a laptop and desktop in a backpack (which is pretty unusual for sure). I already have an Apple power brick, a couple of phone chargers, etc, having another brick would be too irritating for me.

For systems staying put on a desk, it can make sense to push some of that volume onto the floor.
If it won't fit with a Zotac GTX 1080TI mini, I don't see how its worth building it at all...

Not sure if it helps you folks with S4's or not, but if you take off the shroud, you can move the fans a little bit, and shave off around 7mm to get a resulting length of 205mm. I don't believe the shroud is useful. I certainly didn't see a performance drop.

If you take it a step further, and remove the bracket and fashion some other mounting mechanism, you can shave off an additional 2mm or so. I didn't need to go this far to fit it in my case which is 6mm narrower than the S4 mini at 209mm vs 215mm.

kaiyes

Cable Smoosher
Jul 19, 2018
I got the 400W DC-ATX from the official website. Not the 400w AC-DC adapter which this thread is about. Sorry for any misunderstanding @unheroooo

Last edited: