News Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX RTX 4060 Low Profile

Gigabyte is creating an RTX 4060 low-profile card: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/g...-be-the-first-low-profile-ada-lovelace-design

3 fans, single 8-pin, 2 slots.

Pie in the sky, but would love to see an RTX 4060ti (or more crazy RTX 4070) model at some point.

___

16/01/2023 Addendum

ASUS now has a 4060 Low Profile card.
188mm, triple fan.

___

19/04/2024 Addendum

Galax has a card
182mm, triple fan, but the PCIE cable is at the front which will affect clearance without a custom solution.
Will advise to look for something slightly bigger

Cases these will fit into (double check before you buy, not everything is available):

Lenovo P3/P360 ULTRA - 182mm* - Gigabyte (May require modding)/Adapter Needed
ZS A4DC V3 - 182mm* - Gigabyte (May require modding)
ZS D2 (D Config) - 182mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Possible PCIE cable issue)
Gemcase C9 - 182mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Possible PCIE cable issue)
Lone Industries L5 - 185mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Custom_Mod SL3 STL 4.8L Rev.1 - 185mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
n3rdware Yocto - 185mm** (Guidance rather than a limit) - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
n3rdware Yocto+ - 185mm** Guidance rather than a limit) - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
ZS D2 V2 - 186mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Custom_Mod Case MINI LP edit. - 190mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
J-Hack Pure MK2 - 190mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Lazer3D HT5 - 194mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Lazer3D Cravo - 195mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
CAPTAIN CASE V9 - 208mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
REVOCCASES N0RDR1 Nano EVO - 210mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Metalfish 2 Plus - 210mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
LZmod A24-V5 V2.0 - 220mm- Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Silverstone Milo ML03 - 223mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Silverstone Milo ML04 - 223mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Metalfish G5 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
Bug C1 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
SKTC A10 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
Silverstone Milo ML11 - 272mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I don't think you need to power it from the Meanwell directy. That 300W board has SATA connectors... so you could use a SATA-to-8pin adapter. Not sure if it would handle the GPU at full load but... worth a shot at least?
Noooo! ‘300W’ shouldn’t be trusted and SATA connectors even less so!

Please DO power from the MeanWell!

b_force

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2019
Ah couple of posts back, people showed the total power consumption, which clearly showed that 300W should be enough incl CPU?
It obviously depends on your CPU as well.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Ah couple of posts back, people showed the total power consumption, which clearly showed that 300W should be enough incl CPU?
It obviously depends on your CPU as well.
300W yes, but AliExpress DC adapters aren't exactly known for being reliable and truthful to their specifications.
I would 100% separate as much of the 12V load away from the DC-ATX adapter as possible.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I wouldn't go for an Ali DC adapter to begin with, lol
Yeah I had a name brand PicoPsu 160w that I used for a few years but it couldn't handle my 4k TV for some reason (all other hardware was same) so I tried one of the higher wattage AliExpress ones that had a few good reviews. It's been solid since, but I agree - I don't want to push more power though it than I need to, which is why I figured I'd power the GPU from the Meanwell directly. I know JHack used to make a device to cleanly do this, but I don't think they make it anymore.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yeah I had a name brand PicoPsu 160w that I used for a few years but it couldn't handle my 4k TV for some reason (all other hardware was same) so I tried one of the higher wattage AliExpress ones that had a few good reviews. It's been solid since, but I agree - I don't want to push more power though it than I need to, which is why I figured I'd power the GPU from the Meanwell directly. I know JHack used to make a device to cleanly do this, but I don't think they make it anymore.
I had a special distroboard made, but 12V went out of favor, especially with something like the HDPLEX available.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
What does this do?
Probably similar like this, but lower wattage:

Btw, since @gurywah is MIA, @b_force and me are working on a new version for the community :)

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Also guys, let us know if you have any specifics requirements or wishes!! :)
I am not gonna promise anything, but I am always curious what ideas other people have!
Inexpensive? So I don't have to just replace my whole Meanwell+PicoPSU setup with a Hdplex 250w.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
A loadswitch would be pretty affordable. The bigger issue is how to integrate the cabling cleanly.

there’s been low interest in 12V. My initial board was too tight of solder pads. I have a box of R2 boards and bunch of switches around here… but it did work as expected. Just need a logic based trigger. You can read somewhere in the thread, but my initial switches had issue with using the MB 12V to turn it on. It would feedback loop itself, and latched itself on. Hence, I developed a plug-in dcatx that has a logic output to control it.

b_force

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2019
A loadswitch would be pretty affordable. The bigger issue is how to integrate the cabling cleanly.
I was thinking about using standard cables, no soldering involved.

I was also thinking of using using the 12V from a Fan connector as a trigger.
Optically isolated to avoid groundloops. (maybe that's the part where it started doing odd things for you?)

As for now, I might add maybe some additional fan headers, so it doubles up as a fan extender at the same time.

But maybe it deserves a separate topic? :)
It's all just preliminary at this point.
I have so many other projects going on besides my day job, lol

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I was thinking about using standard cables, no soldering involved.

I was also thinking of using using the 12V from a Fan connector as a trigger.
Optically isolated to avoid groundloops. (maybe that's the part where it started doing odd things for you?)

As for now, I might add maybe some additional fan headers, so it doubles up as a fan extender at the same time.

But maybe it deserves a separate topic? :)
It's all just preliminary at this point.
I have so many other projects going on besides my day job, lol
$20 or less? I mean, I may just spend $0 and try plugging the GPU straight into the Meanwell to see if I get any unintended behavior.

Gingerbeer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2019
Tempted to buy a second one. My son's 3060ti is flakey so I gave him my 4060LP for the time being, but EVGA are suddenly sh1t at customer service and are just stalling on the RMA.

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Tempted to buy a second one. My son's 3060ti is flakey so I gave him my 4060LP for the time being, but EVGA are suddenly sh1t at customer service and are just stalling on the RMA.
Looking at 4060s yesterday, I was surprised that the Gigabytes LP wasn't much more expensive than the short single fan or basic models.

Do get another LP, so I can then do a deal with you when you upgrade!

Sorry to hear that EVGA are a being pain

Gingerbeer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2019
Looking at 4060s yesterday, I was surprised that the Gigabytes LP wasn't much more expensive than the short single fan or basic models.

Do get another LP, so I can then do a deal with you when you upgrade!

Sorry to hear that EVGA are a being pain
It was a surprisingly competitive price (for a 4060), and I love how it performs. Sure a 3060 Ti can beat it, but not in a 4 litre chassis.

Really surprised at EVGA - they have always been great to deal with, but the bell tolls and they don't GAF any more, it seems.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
It was a surprisingly competitive price (for a 4060), and I love how it performs. Sure a 3060 Ti can beat it, but not in a 4 litre chassis.

Really surprised at EVGA - they have always been great to deal with, but the bell tolls and they don't GAF any more, it seems.

I heard that the 4060 performs kinda close to identical to the 3060Ti.
However, it's vastly better overall, knowing that it does that while being smaller and consumes about half as much.