Motherboard GIGABYTE AB350N-Gaming WIFI

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Really ? You sure ? If that's the case, then its not a bad price after all.
Hmmm i never have to pay VAT or import duty when I buy stuff and it gets shipped to Australia....
Well anything below $1000 AUD at least, above that I pay duty.
There's not threshold for the UK ?

Make the most of it whilst it lasts. Rick Heart, DJ's, Myer, Harvey Norman, etc have been campaigning in the halls of government house and the studios of channel 7/9/10 for years to shut this down or at the very least have GST applied to imports (goods and service tax, essentially the same thing as VAT). W/ the deficit levy having just been lifted and the recent application of GST to "digital goods and services" (The reason Netflix just got more expensive) we might finally see it happen, easy way to raise revenue.

Reactions: LukeD

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

NH-L12 fits rather nicely. That's enough teaser shots, review will be up by Sunday hopefully.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
If only i could click the LIKE button 1000x ;)

Can't wait to read the review :D

By the way, what cooler is that and what memory are you using ? (Any preview as to what speeds you're getting so far ?)

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
It looks like a Noctua NH-L12 (current one that has heatsink height of 66mm). And corsair vengeance lpx memory (the mordern heatsink).
I can't tell from this angle but I think the heatsink doesn't impede ram height in any way.
Is all this this correct @confusis?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
NH-L12, G-Skill Flare-X 3200 mhz. Have yet to boot the system so not sure on RAM speeds.

Reactions: LukeD

FancyKiddo

Chassis Packer
Jul 12, 2017
Got my board in yesterday. Running a 1700 on it, trying to modify my Zalman 8900 to fit on AM4 so I can fit it all in my Node 202.

Currently very impressed by RAM compatibility. I haven't had any trouble hitting 3200 MHz on dual-rank 16GB-per-dim Hynix memory! Currently running at the rated 16-18-18-18-38. These in case anyone's interested (though they're a bad price ATM, got them at $220 a month ago) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232299

Board is providing enough power to get 3.6 GHz overclock at 1.18 V, though I'm not going any higher than that on the Spire due to thermals. Was steady in Aida64 Stability at 77 Celsius for 3 hours before the PC restarted for updates. The 8900 might manage better thermals, so I'll see how high I can get things once that's done and the sidepanel is on the case.

Only sad thing so far is that the USB 3.0 front header came with some bent pins and one or two that are missing. Oh well. Oh, and like other Gigabyte boards, Aida64 reports 10 Celsius lower CPU temp than Ryzen Master.

Reactions: Acalanata and LukeD

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
That's weird, people are usually ok with spire between 3.7-3.95. And your 1700 seems like a good bin for 1.18v at 3.6ghz.

FancyKiddo

Chassis Packer
Jul 12, 2017
I'm not sure I'm getting full thermal contact, since the grease that comes on the Spire is in a circle that's smaller than the CPU. Visually, it didn't really look like it squashed down as much as I would have liked.

Also, the layout of the board in a Node 202 means that a lot of cables are routed right around the cooler, resulting in some airflow restriction. And 77 Celsius isn't pushing the thermal limits of the CPU at all (I've seen people going up to 88 on the spire to reach the sort of clocks you're mentioning). I'm not going to push too hard until I've got the 8900 on there.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
One question,
I did a quick google check. the node 202 cpu clearance is 56mm while the 8900 is 60mm. Are you going to shave/put spacers on the case?

FancyKiddo

Chassis Packer
Jul 12, 2017
I had the 8900 on a 3770 in this case. It fits, depending on the placement of the socket on the motherboard. Removing the dust filter from the CPU ventilation area gets to ~60 mm clearance, though there's a lip around it that I had to shave down for the old motherboard. I think the socket on this board is in the perfect spot that it wouldn't need any modification other than removing that dust filter.

Reactions: grumpyrobin

FancyKiddo

Chassis Packer
Jul 12, 2017
I can confirm that there is a lot of slop in VCC on this board. I set it to 1.18, but Aida64 was reading up to ~1.25 during stability testing.

I didn't think to check on VRM temps: I'll take a look tonight and see what results I get there.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Damn, this VRM info is getting me to think I should cancel my preorder. I was planning to use an AIO so its even worse for me.
Would a 40/60mm fan directly above the vrms help a lot?
Also does the asrock x370 have more/better vrms?

Nintenrax

Chassis Packer
Jun 6, 2017
That's the problem: we have no profound information on the Asrock board yet. A fan would help a lot probably. I'm just going to roll with it for now and see what gives. I do think that the 70°C thermal limit is very exaggerated tho.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
In the youtube coments he responded that the temps are not actually from the VRM but the PCB sorrounding it, and in reality they are always going to be higher.

Reactions: carbonitetoast

PentiumK

What's an ITX?
Jul 12, 2017
The VRM on this board should be the best of these currently released AM4 ITX boards so far, in terms of current capability and efficiency. It's a native 6-phase in 4+2 configuration with full International Rectifier components (6x IR3556 PowIRstages with IR35201 controller).

I just think that the tiny aluminium heatsink is a bit too much compromised to be that small, it can't dissipate heat quick enough unless you direct airflow over it.

Reactions: Acalanata and LukeD

FancyKiddo

Chassis Packer
Jul 12, 2017
As promised, I come bearing data!
You can see the 10C temp difference between the board and CPU reported temps. Not sure why that's happening.
Also, I was calling out the Vcore as seen by the motherboard when I said it went up to ~1.25. You can see that the Vcore as reported by the CPU exhibits the expected VDroop, so I imagine that number is more realistic.

I tested by using Aida64 for ten minutes, letting the PC cool off (while idle) for 10, and then rebooting. The "after boot" and "idle" numbers you see are after that reboot. For some reason, the processor seemed to be doing a lot right after boot, and it just kept going on, so I booted up Aida64 again to hopefully kill off any background processes that were trying to use idle time. That worked, letting the processor get down to reasonable idle wattages and cool off.

As I write this, the CPU has averaged out to 32.5 W with Firefox and HWiNFO open.

If my temps seem high, they are: room is >29C ambient. My numbers from yesterday were from the same environment. This is all still using the Wraith Spire with the sidepanel off of a Node 202.