SFF.Network An actual SFF eGPU dock appears from GIGABYTE!

While waiting in GIGABYTE’s VIP suite on the 36th floor of the Taipei 101 to take a look at their new B350 AM4 Mini-ITX motherboard, we had a chance to take a look at this very unexpected product from GIGABYTE.

This is the AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box, a truly SFF eGPU dock! After being plagued by horrendously big docks that outsized some entire ITX gaming cases for the past year, we finally have what looks to be a worthy SFF solution for adding graphics horsepower to your NUC (or laptop, we don’t judge).

Read more here.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I love to see a pc case about that size. :)

The CustomMOD Mini is actually slightly smaller than this eGPU! But it has an external brick. Kudos to Gigabyte, this is excellent. I don't think an ITX-sized 1080 Ti is possible, but a 1080 certainly is. They probably don't even have to change that much as it's only 30W more power consumption and the 1070 cooler is already very efficient and quiet.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Looks good. I'm not a fan of those 2 extra 40mm exhaust fans, but I guess they can just be removed. I'd also disconnect the LED strip as it looks very out of place. Apparently there's also "coin whine", although I think some Flex ATX fans sound like coin whine, so maybe that was just the fan...? It'd be nice to know what PSU they're using and if it can be easily swapped. Will James get a unit for a proper review/teardown soon?

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
What I would love is a two-slot-thick case with a Flex ATX PSU in front making the case 80mm longer -- ie 45-50 x 260 (180 card, 80 PSU) x 150 (150 high is enough if the cables exit the PSU on the side and it also leaves space for the conversion board) for a 2-2.5L chassis.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Yeah or an HDPlex passive internal brick. And dust filter support. And an Ethernet connection. And a more space-efficient design with a 215mm card. You can line the PSU components and the I/O hub under it. This is why we need someone from this community to make a really no-compromise tiny eGPU, the big companies aren't really capable of ultra small form factor, it's like a foreign language to them. This eGPU is pretty small though, so still props to Gigabyte.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
This is why we need someone from this community to make a really no-compromise tiny eGPU

The Thunderbolt 3 board is the problem, the best candidate is the AKiTiO Node. By the time you buy it, buy an HDPLEX setup, and fabricate a custom case though, it'd be cheaper to buy the Gigaybte dock and get the GTX 1070 for free.