Motherboard GIGABYTE AB350N-Gaming WIFI

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Gigabyte seems to have a habit of unfortunate connector placement...

I seem to recall that the previous few generations of ITX motherboards have had the USB header plopped right in between the rear i/o / PCIe slot / CPU keep out zone...

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
Gigabyte tends to be more expensive than it should be where I live. I thought that meant I'm going to miss out on the best ITX AM4 board. But looking at the connectors that doesn't seem to be the case. Will be pretty happy with ASRock's.

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
blegh blegh blegh those 24pin an 8pin locations that wifi adapter placement.... wtf... why is the usb headers and sata on the top of the board edge of the board to o_O

Also... is the cpu socket offest or is that just all the odd port placemetns messing with my eyes?

Reactions: Soul_Est

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's closer to the front edge of the board than you typically see but otherwise the socket placement isn't all that offset.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Yeah, and I made very clear to the reps that I was not happy with the connector layout and would like to see it improved in future boards.

If they could put the CPU 8 pin where the USB 3.0 internal header is (and dump the usb header), I think the overall layout would be quite nice for some itx cases.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
We did discuss the possibility of a community driven revision via a crowdfunding campaign or something.

But something like moving the 8-pin connector is non-trivial and the MOQ is pretty steep.

Reactions: NATi and Biowarejak

Pelican

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2017
I'm disappointed by the lack of optical audio. I like being able to connect my PC to our home theatre system sometimes. Maybe they don't expect there to be a demand for Ryzen media PCs.

Those ASRock boards are going to be hard to get a hold of...

Reactions: Twinstar

Rabarbersaft

Cable Smoosher
New User
Apr 5, 2017
Having the 24pin + Sata ports on the top like that will benefit me. Other then that i prefer AsRocks board. But I think Ill get my first ever gigabyte board. Finally my 1700 have somewhere to be.

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
I don't understand why you're all so upset with the 8pin and 24pin.

The 24pin really makes no difference, the only time it'd make an impact is if you're building in a s4 mini or similar, due to how limited you are with the hdplex psus.

It would make more sense to switch position between usb3 and 8pin though. Considering how long even SFX cables are, reaching to the 8pin won't be a problem at all.

For me specifically, the offset CPU socket means I won't have to cut out even more on my case, for the CPU fan to fit. Now I'll just have to space it a bit with vibration dampeners, to make the airflow a bit better. Really, my only complaint about this board is the red accents, but even that is kept much more subtle than on the ASRock board.
8pin is a bit weird, but it's whatever to me. Tiny bit worried about clearance of that wifi thing, but I assume it's no taller than standard ram.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rabarbersaft

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
On cases where the chassis is right up against the top of the motherboard that 24-pin will be a pain to unplug.

Reactions: Phuncz

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Having the 24pin + Sata ports on the top like that will benefit me. Other then that i prefer AsRocks board. But I think Ill get my first ever gigabyte board. Finally my 1700 have somewhere to be.

I've stayed away from Gigabyte boards due to their poor fan control in UEFI. Something to look out for. Perhaps they have improved.

Reactions: fminus

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I believe the latest gen Intel boards from them have full PWM, but I haven't checked on the AMD side.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Is there a run down of all the Realtec CODECs? I'm struggling to compare them all without memorizing a whole bunch of numbers with limited data.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Yes, the SG05 (unlike some other cases) will benefit from the ATX 24 and SATA ports being on the side to maximise front to back airflow from the intake fan

Reactions: Biowarejak

freshislandcoconuts

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 13, 2017
I was wondering if anyone had any experience using the Corsair 380t with a layout like Gigabyte's, where a lot of the plugs are on the top of the board? It doesn't look like it would fit with how the Corsair is set up (laying horizontal/flat...especially if you have something like a Cryorig H7 or something). Asrock's ITX board might be the only one worth looking in to for people who are using the 380t.

carbonitetoast

Caliper Novice
Jun 16, 2017
Posted on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/6ifbl5/gigabyte_ab350n_gaming_wifi/):