Motherboard GIGABYTE AB350N-Gaming WIFI

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
The "after boot" and "idle" numbers you see are after that reboot. For some reason, the processor seemed to be doing a lot right after boot, and it just kept going on, .

Kill your internet connection, a lot of the startup process are Windows checking / updating ... etc..

FancyKiddo

Chassis Packer
Jul 12, 2017
Yeah I figured out that it was Windows Update hiding in the Services tab because the Modules Installer Worker had become corrupted. Fun times! PC runs a lot smoother on start now that I fixed that and Windows Update isn't vainly using 100% of my disk anymore!

Good things Windows installs are SO EASY! hahaha

Reactions: LukeD

FancyKiddo

Chassis Packer
Jul 12, 2017
I'm going to be redoing idle tests at various voltage/frequency/Cool&Quiet state combinations for my own sake. Do you guys want me to post that data once I have it all up (probably 24 hours from now), or is what I already posted good enough?

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
OH OH OH !!!! I'm so excited !!!! AND I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT :D
When ? when ? when ? :)

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
not 100% sure yet, chances are it will be Sunday evening NZ time so it is Saturday afternoon in the USA

Reactions: LukeD

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Ahhhh cool :) its like a 2 hr difference between us :)
My Gigabyte board just arrived today. But I don't think ill have time to build it this weekend. I have a friend visiting. But I would love to hear what you have to say about the board and your experience so far. Hope i can make the livestream !

FancyKiddo

Chassis Packer
Jul 12, 2017
@confusis, can you check if the CPU downclocks/downvolts properly if you set any kind of overclock? I've been lurking various Gigabyte threads and it seems to be a limitation with all Gigabyte AM4 boards at the moment. Apparently CPU speed power options disappear in Windows and the CPU runs full tilt.

Yes, clock lowering disappears from Windows power options when the CPU is overclocked (in BIOS), and no monitoring software I've used so far has shown clockspeed dynamically lowering during those times. However, the CPU is reaching very low (~25 W) power usage when idle overclocked to 3.6 GHz.

Tonight, I'm testing the difference in idle power usage between overclocked but downvolted (the stats I have from yesterday, though I will be rechecking them once I have my Windows Update woes behind me), auto everything (I was seeing this giving the CPU 1.32 V at 3 GHz, which seems pretty high), and forced downvolted as low as I can go on stock speeds. This should give me a good indication for how Windows downclocking affects idle power usage. Hopefully that'll be tonight, and I can get those results here then.

Reactions: Ionrent