SFF.Network An actual SFF eGPU dock appears from GIGABYTE!

While waiting in GIGABYTE’s VIP suite on the 36th floor of the Taipei 101 to take a look at their new B350 AM4 Mini-ITX motherboard, we had a chance to take a look at this very unexpected product from GIGABYTE.

This is the AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box, a truly SFF eGPU dock! After being plagued by horrendously big docks that outsized some entire ITX gaming cases for the past year, we finally have what looks to be a worthy SFF solution for adding graphics horsepower to your NUC (or laptop, we don’t judge).

Read more here.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
See 1:54 of this video...

Now tell me you did not look at this & immediately think it was a SFF chassis for a back-to-back design using an SFX PSU...?

I imagine a larger window on the other side showing the motherboard...

But then I wonder as to proper ventilation...

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Yeah, I'm hoping now that Gigabyte has shown the way all the stupidly big eGPU docks will die in a fire.
i agree but i think they also have some potential flaws in it. Highly dependent on the actual size of the enclosure. If we are able to change out the gpu and if the enclosure comes with the gpu. If it is a 600 enclosure without gpu i wouldn't touch it. Its almost to small (hate that i am saying this)which makes it difficult to find replacement GPUs. Which i believe is one of the main reasons to get an eGPU. If it can fit and gtx 1080 ti mini then i would feel much better about it and the ability to switch it out.

I will say though the case design is on point. Fantastic looking, i just wish maybe they did two version one that fits a full size and one that fits a mini gpu.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
From the original article:

"When asked if the GTX 1080 would fit, we were told something to the effect that it will soon and that they’re working on it. Make of that what you will."

So, Gigabyte is gonna give us a true ITX-sized GTX 1080 GPU...?!?

Would I be crass for requesting they bypass the 1080 & go straight for the 1080Ti,,,!?!

WillBlackstone

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
From the original article:

"When asked if the GTX 1080 would fit, we were told something to the effect that it will soon and that they’re working on it. Make of that what you will."

So, Gigabyte is gonna give us a true ITX-sized GTX 1080 GPU...?!?

Would I be crass for requesting they bypass the 1080 & go straight for the 1080Ti,,,!?!
One can hope good sir one can hope.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Finally an eGPU enclosure that's not an SFF case without a motherboard I/O cutout. I was starting to get worried this is where all the SFF case projects went to from the manufacturer's designers.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

Imagine those are magnetic tape reels spooling back & forth in there, Old School-style...

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Gigabyte was cagey, but I'm 99% sure it's just a a standard version of their GTX 1070 Mini in there.

So swapping with a similar size card should be doable.

Reactions: DocH

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Gigabyte was cagey, but I'm 99% sure it's just a a standard version of their GTX 1070 Mini in there.

So swapping with a similar size card should be doable.
Yeah this worries me a little. Why would they be dodgey if you couldn't do that. If it turns out you can't upgrade it for some reason would be a huge let down. Still wish it was a little bigger for more capability with other gpus. So I am not limited to gigabyte gpus only. Sounds like an apple thing of them to do

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Why would they be dodgey if you couldn't do that.

It's probably because Intel is touchy and inconsistent on their policy for upgradeable Thunderbolt 3 devices.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Official specs: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070IXEB-8GD#kf

So I was close on my estimate, dimensions are 162mm x 96mm x 211mm (H x W x D) for 3.3L according to Gigabyte.

Edit: Or at least according to the marketing image, the specs say 212mm for the depth.

Edit 2: And the card is a GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC 8G.

Last edited:

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Official specs: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070IXEB-8GD#kf

So I was close on my estimate, dimensions are 162mm x 96mm x 211mm (H x W x D) for 3.3L according to Gigabyte.

Edit: Or at least according to the marketing image, the specs say 212mm for the depth.

Edit 2: And the card is a GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC 8G.
doesn't look like a 1080 and 1080ti upgrade possible with it's current size unless gigabyte does come out with their own model. Huge downer right now

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Huge downer right now

Well, there's plenty of docks out there that will fit a GTX 1080 Ti. They are big enough to fit a whole Mini-ITX build in them though :p

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Well, there's plenty of docks out there that will fit a GTX 1080 Ti. They are big enough to fit a whole Mini-ITX build in them though :p
sorry meant the 1080 mini and 1080 ti mini. Yeah there are cases just wish it was a tad bit bigger and it would be my dream eGPU. Not saying it is bad just a tiny let down. still a great product

i think zotac is coming out with one as well not sure the sizes of it though.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The Zotac one is about the size of the other eGPU docks, aka too big.