Stalled DICE CASES - FLOW : expandable SFF case for watercooling enthusiast (built in distroplate)

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
AORUS GeForce RTX 3080 WATERFORCE is 162mm tall so that won't fit either. Are any non-FE Nvidia 3080/3090 models with preinstalled coolers actually compatible?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
AORUS GeForce RTX 3080 WATERFORCE is 162mm tall so that won't fit either. Are any non-FE Nvidia 3080/3090 models with preinstalled coolers actually compatible?
The EVGA XC3 Hydro Copper (whenever it finally comes out) will be compatible as its not that tall. However, unless it's the only thing available I tend to not recommend people buy the pre-waterblock'd cards because they are often more expensive than a regular card + an aftermarket block. And then you have an air cooler as a backup if you ever want to go back to air-cooled or sell it.

Magz

Chassis Packer
Jun 29, 2019
Everything works fine together on the bench with no problems.

@diceboii13 I will try and see if the standoffs are causing any issues. That’s the only thing I can think of at the moment. Will report back when I get to it.

All working now. Used some non conductive washers under the motherboard mounting holes.

Now to progress with the build.

Reactions: diceboii13

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Was there an instruction/assembly manual that was supposed to be in the box? Couldn't find it in mine!

@diceboii13 could you post a link to the digital version of the assembly manual here or on the Dice website? Thanks!

Edit: Found this link from an older post: https://dicecases.com/dice_cases_flow-manual.pdf
Is that the most up to date version?

Yes this is the most up to date version. I can help you in anything if something is not clear.

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
Thanks! I'm working through it. Recommendation against x-flow rads was a good one, the 240s that I have are major pain in the ass. Lots of issues including being able to screw in fittings fully because the ports are obstructed by the frame, and the super tight space between the rad outlet and the pump. I think I can get out of most of these tight situations, but it will require another hundred dollars of fittings probably.

I wanted to ask for some advice from everyone, as this is my first water cooled build. In situations where fittings are very close to each other but slightly off-center, is it worthwhile trying to connect it all together with hard fittings or just abandon the idea and route tubing over larger distances. For example:

Another tricky situation... abandon the idea, or is there some clever trick to get this hooked up:

If I orient this in the other direction, then I end up hitting the pump:

The only solution to this I have right now is to install the radiator on top of fans and then use a 45 degree fitting to try and route the tube through the available space. But the tolerance will be minimal.

Any suggestions from experienced builders would be amazing!

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Thanks! I'm working through it. Recommendation against x-flow rads was a good one, the 240s that I have are major pain in the ass. Lots of issues including being able to screw in fittings fully because the ports are obstructed by the frame, and the super tight space between the rad outlet and the pump. I think I can get out of most of these tight situations, but it will require another hundred dollars of fittings probably.

I wanted to ask for some advice from everyone, as this is my first water cooled build. In situations where fittings are very close to each other but slightly off-center, is it worthwhile trying to connect it all together with hard fittings or just abandon the idea and route tubing over larger distances. For example:

Another tricky situation... abandon the idea, or is there some clever trick to get this hooked up:

If I orient this in the other direction, then I end up hitting the pump:

The only solution to this I have right now is to install the radiator on top of fans and then use a 45 degree fitting to try and route the tube through the available space. But the tolerance will be minimal.

Any suggestions from experienced builders would be amazing!

Picture #1: I recommend either replacing the fitting on top with a 45% or use a small extender to bring the fittings in line with each other https://www.ekwb.com/shop/fittings/extenders-and-spacers

Picture #2: Maybe replace the fitting on the right with a low profile fitting https://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/...-Single-Swiveling-Elbow-Low-Profile_1687.html

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
Thanks for the idea on the low profile fitting to get out of a tight spot! Ordered a whole host of 45 and revolvable 2x45 fittings as well as extenders in various sizes. Will post progress over the weekend once everything arrives!

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
If you're struggling with close clearances, also consider using barb fittings for the difficult spots rather than compression fittings, they take up a bit less room and are easier to ensure a tight fit

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
Is it normal for bubbles and tiny streams to be moving through the distro between the channels?

Example:

If not, should I try to tighten the screws of the distro a bit?

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
You can see the same bubbles on my pictures.
There is no seal (o-ring) between the channels. So this is probably expected behaviour of the coolant. As long as it stays inside the O-ring it's probably fine.

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
@diceboii13 any spare parts left over? I'd definitely be interested in purchasing a vented side panel (white). I've decided to set all fans to exhaust so having that side entry channel for air (where I can also attach a magnetic dust filter) would be ideal. Thanks!

xunilon

Chassis Packer
Dec 5, 2019
Unexpectedly got my case today! Couldn't wait so transferred my build from my H200i into it, and to my surprise I was able to fit my NZXT Kraken x52 in it!

I haven't bothered with cable management yet as I just wanted to see if my build as-is would fit.

The most difficult things for me ended up being getting the GPU in, and installing fans by themselves (with no rad).

The GPU was a bitch because the bottom metal bracket on the GPU was bent slightly forward, so I couldn't get it into the PCIe slot. I bent the bracket back and was able to get it in. I was also confused by the white plastic PCIe lock, but figured out you just have to slide it back.

The fans were difficult to install because the screws were slightly too big for the slits in the metal, and I ended up having to install the screws at a slight angle (cringe, I know). I'm not sure if I was just using the wrong screws or what, but it was a bit annoying. I would recommend installing bare fans first, or at least using those plastic 'spires' like what comes with be quiet! fans instead of metal screws.

Some other annoyances are the outside panels and the lack of sleeving on the front panel cables. I knew full well buying this case that I would have to unscrew at least 8 screws every time I wanted to open the case, so I'm okay with it. Still not looking forward to doing that frequently, though. They are also hex screws which could get stripped if you're not careful.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the case so far. I'm shocked that I got my AIO in, and pleasantly surprised at how relatively easy the basic build was. The real difficulty will be cable management.

Reactions: D10S

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
Unexpectedly got my case today! Couldn't wait so transferred my build from my H200i into it, and to my surprise I was able to fit my NZXT Kraken x52 in it!

I haven't bothered with cable management yet as I just wanted to see if my build as-is would fit.

The most difficult things for me ended up being getting the GPU in, and installing fans by themselves (with no rad).

The GPU was a bitch because the bottom metal bracket on the GPU was bent slightly forward, so I couldn't get it into the PCIe slot. I bent the bracket back and was able to get it in. I was also confused by the white plastic PCIe lock, but figured out you just have to slide it back.

The fans were difficult to install because the screws were slightly too big for the slits in the metal, and I ended up having to install the screws at a slight angle (cringe, I know). I'm not sure if I was just using the wrong screws or what, but it was a bit annoying. I would recommend installing bare fans first, or at least using those plastic 'spires' like what comes with be quiet! fans instead of metal screws.

Some other annoyances are the outside panels and the lack of sleeving on the front panel cables. I knew full well buying this case that I would have to unscrew at least 8 screws every time I wanted to open the case, so I'm okay with it. Still not looking forward to doing that frequently, though. They are also hex screws which could get stripped if you're not careful.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the case so far. I'm shocked that I got my AIO in, and pleasantly surprised at how relatively easy the basic build was. The real difficulty will be cable management.

Radiator screws weren't a problem for me while installing the fans. But yeah, they have at least 1mm less diameter than normal fan screws.

By the way, I get really itchy fingers and a burning OCD when I look at the cable management (knowing full well that you are not finished yet)

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
@diceboii13 any spare parts left over? I'd definitely be interested in purchasing a vented side panel (white). I've decided to set all fans to exhaust so having that side entry channel for air (where I can also attach a magnetic dust filter) would be ideal. Thanks!
I think there will be a couple. I just wait to see all the reports about the cases, in case I have to replace something. Then I send out all the remaining stuff for everyone. I hope its ok for you :)

Is it normal for bubbles and tiny streams to be moving through the distro between the channels?

Example:

If not, should I try to tighten the screws of the distro a bit?
Its totally ok. When the coolant stays between the O-rings its fine.

Thank you for the honest review! The slots size for the screws are from other cases (because I honestly dont know what screws are radiator/fan manufacturers provide, so I just went for the most used ones)

There is probably a half mm tolerance in the GPU bracket (maybe the powdercoat) because you are not the first one who mentioned that. For my old ftw3 1080ti there was no problem with it, so it can depend on the gpu choice. In CAD it all seems fine in terms of measurements, so it must be the bend radius of the little monting slot, or the powdercoat.

Yes the 8 screw "mechanism" is a bit odd, but that was the only way I can mount it to keep the expandability. I found a sloution tho for the next rev of the case.

I hope the case will satisfy you in terms of cooling/expandability/look and I cant wait to see more pictures of the final build :p
Got my case in today. Was everyone's PSU bracket attached to their case? I can't locate mine 😅
If thats happened Ill send you some in mail. In a week you got it! Sorry, I was building them really fast 😅 🥵

Reactions: D10S

xunilon

Chassis Packer
Dec 5, 2019
Radiator screws weren't a problem for me while installing the fans. But yeah, they have at least 1mm less diameter than normal fan screws.

By the way, I get really itchy fingers and a burning OCD when I look at the cable management (knowing full well that you are not finished yet)

LOL, don't worry, I fixed it! It's not my ideal but it's good enough for now.

The real build will start once I get a 3080 Ti, hopefully in January but we'll see. Not going to take the protective layer off the acrylic until that build :) can't risk any scratches until then!

Reactions: Tossy and rfarmer