Stalled DICE CASES - FLOW : expandable SFF case for watercooling enthusiast (built in distroplate)

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
We are a secret lovers nothing else.. ? ? ?

It sounds like a bit "boomery" but im not into that discord thing.. I never used it, so if someone want to make it I will join no problem ?
Forcing Dice to be a bit more on-going, you are welcome ?

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
Forcing Dice to be a bit more on-going, you are welcome ?

Please for the love of everything that's holy continue providing updates here too! I despise discord for updates. I am also somewhat involved in the keyboard building community and I have 7000 discord group buy chanels and it's impossible to make sense of any of it. I don't want to add this into that mess. :) I'm also old school, I prefer async communication - e-mail, forums, RSS...

Reactions: diceboii13

AllXFrag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2020
Please for the love of everything that's holy continue providing updates here too! I despise discord for updates. I am also somewhat involved in the keyboard building community and I have 7000 discord group buy chanels and it's impossible to make sense of any of it. I don't want to add this into that mess. :) I'm also old school, I prefer async communication - e-mail, forums, RSS...

Have some irc... Also build me a Rama... The ten keyless one!

• Wow

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Lol if u built and own a Rama idk how to feel about that, respect for having it also F to your wallet.

@diceboii13 I'm going way offtopic, gimme some info! ?
All packed up, just waiting for the truck. There was a quick decision, I have to travel away from home this weekend, but tomorrow, I think I can show you guys some cases.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
@diceboii13 Are there any planned revisions for 2nd batch? Also, what is the estimated ship date for the backorder placed this week?
Yes, we have the next revision model around 80% but I needs some final twerking. Timewise I don't know yet. I want to fix the dates with the vendors to prevent these delays like now. We want to keep a small stock, around 30 cases. In this Autumn I want to release it.

Reactions: ten13th and D10S

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Today i finally assmbled the first case, and it turned out really well! Tolerances are good, paint is really nice, and everything went well for the first time ?
Shipping coming soon boooooys!

ten13th

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2020
@diceboii13 I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this. Just a simple question about the rigidity of the case. In the uncovered bottom expanded modes, would there be flex/sway to the case if pushed from the side? Since the entire case is supported by two parallel sheet metals and four anchor points(four screws).

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
@diceboii13 I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this. Just a simple question about the rigidity of the case. In the uncovered bottom expanded modes, would there be flex/sway to the case if pushed from the side? Since the entire case is supported by two parallel sheet metals and four anchor points(four screws).
With good countersinks on the holes and the 2mm rolled aluminum it should be fairly stiff, especially with just the large expand (I'm assuming that's what's pictured). I'd be a little concerned on the extra-large expand, uncovered though. Then the contact surface between the bottom and core of the case will be greatly reduced. That's where manufacturing tolerances will really come into play.

It'll be interesting to learn if this stiffness is a concern, and if it's one of the things @diceboii13 is looking to improve in the next rev.

Reactions: ten13th

ten13th

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2020
With good countersinks on the holes and the 2mm rolled aluminum it should be fairly stiff, especially with just the large expand (I'm assuming that's what's pictured). I'd be a little concerned on the extra-large expand, uncovered though. Then the contact surface between the bottom and core of the case will be greatly reduced. That's where manufacturing tolerances will really come into play.

It'll be interesting to learn if this stiffness is a concern, and if it's one of the things @diceboii13 is looking to improve in the next rev.

Good points. Looking at the Dice User Manual. The top and bottom covers are secured with short M3 screws into the inner sheet metal shell. If the cover were only cosmetics, M3 into sheet metal would be sufficient. However, in this design the cover are structure, M3 into sheet metal would not be durable solution. Longer M3 or even M4/5 that screws into actual nut or something with more engagement thread would greatly improve the integrity and durability. I hope @diceboii13 would consider this suggestion and improvements. If using longer screws doesn't cause an interference with the front distroplate and rear plate, I would DIY some nuts on the back of the inner shell to reinforce the connections.

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
For rev.2 I offer 2 changes.
- rotate bottom rad to same side in/out ports as is top rad.
- slightly change waterplate.

This allow additional free for position power socket hole. Above GPU I/O for example. It's hide cable completely.

Reactions: Fitchew

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com

Good points. Looking at the Dice User Manual. The top and bottom covers are secured with short M3 screws into the inner sheet metal shell. If the cover were only cosmetics, M3 into sheet metal would be sufficient. However, in this design the cover are structure, M3 into sheet metal would not be durable solution. Longer M3 or even M4/5 that screws into actual nut or something with more engagement thread would greatly improve the integrity and durability. I hope @diceboii13 would consider this suggestion and improvements. If using longer screws doesn't cause an interference with the front distroplate and rear plate, I would DIY some nuts on the back of the inner shell to reinforce the connections.

The outter panels are sitting tightly on the distro (or vented front) and also in the back I/O panel. Its really stiff, considering the distro is 10mm thick acrilyc. Its so tight, it even needs a bit of push to secure it with the screws. There is zero movement or flex in top/bottom, and the weight of the case sitting in those, so you dont have to worry about the screws, they doesnt hold any weight. The 4 screws/panel just secure it to the side, to prevent it from bending out from the the case, almost like a cosmetic, and a bit of extra security.

ten13th

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2020
For rev.2 I offer 2 changes.
- rotate bottom rad to same side in/out ports as is top rad.
- slightly change waterplate.

This allow additional free for position power socket hole. Above GPU I/O for example. It's hide cable completely.

The case is 372mm deep, there seems to be plenty of room to mount a 240x30mm rad either way.

Last edited:

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
The outter panels are sitting tightly on the distro (or vented front) and also in the back I/O panel. Its really stiff, considering the distro is 10mm thick acrilyc. Its so tight, it even needs a bit of push to secure it with the screws. There is zero movement or flex in top/bottom, and the weight of the case sitting in those, so you dont have to worry about the screws, they doesnt hold any weight. The 4 screws/panel just secure it to the side, to prevent it from bending out from the the case, almost like a cosmetic, and a bit of extra security.
Are you talking about the "covered" option with the extended front and rear panels? It does look like those will go a long way to keeping everything rigid. I think @ten13th's main concern was the stability in the extended position without these extended panels (e.g. extra large bottom expand, uncovered). Then it looks like the weight and stability of the case is relying on those sheet metal bends and the 4 screws.

I'm curious, are you seeing more interest in the large or extra large expand? 2-slot or 3-slot? It'll be interesting to see how much of a performance increase going from slim to standard radiators will provide. Or if an octo-fan push/pull with slim radiators is feasible and better performing than the standard radiators.